INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless playback help please [Solved]  (Read 3238 times)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Gapless playback help please [Solved]
« on: June 11, 2014, 04:21:46 am »

Hi Folks.  I am new to the forum and pretty new to JRiver as well.  I am using JRiver on a laptop working with my library on a QNAP NAS all connected via Ethernet.  I am using a Lumin player as the DAC/Player and I am also using JRemote on my iPad to control the system.

I cannot figure out how to get the setup above to play back gapless.  For instance, I have the album "Love" by the Beatles (44.1k/16bit) and "Eye in the Sky" by the Alan Parsons Project (192k/24bit) both of which are gapless.  When I use the Lumin-provided iPad app or the Linn-provided Kinsky app, the system plays back gaplessly with no problem.  When I try JRiver either from the laptop or via the JRemote application on the iPad, I don't get gapless playback.

I've tried doing a search of the forum but couldn't find anything that seems to help.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gapless playback help please
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:19:13 am »

Welcome to the forum.  You may have mentioned it, but are you using DLNA / UPnP?  If so, which device is the DLNA Server?

Gapless is a problem with many DLNA devices.  Linn implemented "extensions" to the DLNA standard that make some devices work.

You could read more about this on our Media Network board, and with an Internet search.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Gapless playback help please
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:35:45 am »

Hi Jim.  I think I am a bit of a novice and, therefore, somewhat clueless.  Is the DLNA server the player, the computer hosting the instantiation of JRiver or the QNAP NAS?  I am thinking you mean the QNAP NAS where the files are stored and where the library is built from.

I have an update to my issue.  I have JRiver installed on two PCs here.  One, the system where I am having gapless playback issue, is a Sony VAIO laptop running Win7 x64.  On the other system, a higher end Desktop PC also running Win7 x64, I can play the gapless albums perfectly.  So it seems like I am having an issue with the Sony laptop but am unsure where to look to see if it can be corrected.

In the mean time, I'll take your advice and do some searching on the Media Network board.

Thanks for the response and have a good day!

Update:  On the laptop, when I set up the library, I had used the "multimedia" share on the NAS.  I decided to change it and, instead, used the TWONKY Server running on the NAS to build the library from.  Now gapless playback works perfectly.  I wish I knew why and will try and do some research per your recommendations.

Thanks again Jim!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gapless playback help please [Solved]
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:01:49 am »

Update:  On the laptop, when I set up the library, I had used the "multimedia" share on the NAS.  I decided to change it and, instead, used the TWONKY Server running on the NAS to build the library from.  Now gapless playback works perfectly.
Good to hear.   You might find this helpful:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA
Pages: [1]   Go Up