INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Folder Structure in JRiver show My Folder.jpgs?  (Read 6718 times)

thesouvenir

Can Folder Structure in JRiver show My Folder.jpgs?
« on: June 11, 2014, 05:43:46 pm »

Hi. This is my first ever post.  I've tried everything I can think of and searched for an answer elsewhere and can find nothing.  So, here it goes...

On my music drive I have a folder structure (through Directory Opus) whereby I'm able to view a single folder.jpg in each folder as I go from the top level down.  For example:

I start in Genre's:

I click into Jazz and see this:

Then into Bebop:

Then into Johnny Griffin... only then do I see album cover art:

Is there any way to get JRiver to mimic this rather than having cover art slide-showing all the time?  I view my JRiver interface by Disk Location and it looks beautiful.  I'd rather not use Directory Opus at all for music and just concentrate on JRiver, but I don't want to lose the aesthetic I've developed over time.

Thanks for any tips.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Can Folder Structure in JRiver show My Folder.jpgs?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:28:16 am »

That's a really nice looking organization system.  Unfortunately I don't think that exact aesthetic can be done in MC .  You can organize by folders, like you say, but I don't think it can grab folder.jpg. 
Adam Thompson, JRiver

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 11:16:42 am »

While it's not managed the same way, you can add artist-level art to: %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Cover Art\Artists\
Using Artist Name.jpg files.

Note: you have to restart Media Center for any new art you add to be displayed.

It seems that all you would need to accomplish what you want, would be support for Genre-specific art in: %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Cover Art\Genres\

connersw

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:44:11 pm »

It seems that all you would need to accomplish what you want, would be support for Genre-specific art in: %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Cover Art\Genres\

Would be awesome.  It's been requested a few times before; both for Audio and Video. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:46:19 pm »

I suppose we could offer Genre specific artwork, it wouldnt auto-lookup anything of course, but if you manually feed it..
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »

While it's not managed the same way, you can add artist-level art to: %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Cover Art\Artists\

I am feeling stupid now....  where do I find that on my PC?

Thanks,
P
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:13:54 pm »

%APPDATA% is a hidden directory by default, and will redirect to C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Roaming\

If you copy and paste %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 19\Cover Art\ into the Windows Explorer address bar (or the "run" box by pressing Win+R on your keyboard) it should take you to the correct location.
I just realized that you may have to create the "Artists" folder in that location yourself.

To make it easier, you could then create a shortcut to that folder on your desktop by dragging it with the right mouse button and selecting "create shortcut here".

I suppose we could offer Genre specific artwork, it wouldnt auto-lookup anything of course, but if you manually feed it..
That would be awesome.

What might be nice - though perhaps more complex than it's worth - would be an option to add artist/genre art via the Cover Art menu above the "Get Artist Images From Last.fm..." option, similar to the way you can manually add album art.

That might get complicated though as tracks may be tagged with multiple genres (e.g. Soundtrack\Film Soundtrack) though perhaps you could only display the option in a Genre-specific view, where they are displayed hierarchically.

connersw

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 03:46:29 pm »

Would definitely be awesome.  Manual feeding is all that is needed.

thesouvenir

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:03:42 pm »

Using Artist Name.jpg files.

Note: you have to restart Media Center for any new art you add to be displayed.

Thanks for the idea, but sadly it doesn't work when you're viewing your library by Disk Location.  If you view the library by Artists it does actually work, but it seems to correspond to tags rather than folder structure.  Any ideas?  I would love to achieve this look.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:45:26 pm »

Is there a reason that you're using folder structure to navigate the library?
You can construct a view which will let you browse any way you want.

E.g. Genre > Artists > Albums

thesouvenir

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 05:22:32 pm »

Is there a reason that you're using folder structure to navigate the library?
You can construct a view which will let you browse any way you want.

E.g. Genre > Artists > Albums

Well, I have a rather large music collection and though its folder hierarchy is nicely organized the files themselves are not tagged.  They're in a state of chaos to be honest.  I've considered tackling a large-scale tagging project with JRiver, but the idea of it is daunting to say the least, so I had hoped for a workaround.

Either way, I appreciate your input.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 05:35:57 pm »

You can easily tag from your well-organized folder structure.  Your first stop would be the Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename... tool.  For more advanced needs, the expression language can be employed.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mikemcsw

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 11:10:20 pm »

You can easily tag from your well-organized folder structure.  Your first stop would be the Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename... tool.  For more advanced needs, the expression language can be employed.

I keep switching back and forth between foobar and jriver...I finally got foobar the way i liked it but then decided to play with DLNA.  It was very flaky at best with foobar, but i was able to get it to work with jriver in a matter of a few minutes...so i am back to jriver..hopefully last time i change since I am almost done...but i have all my files organized by folders.  

How do i replace the genre tag with my folder structure?
Or better can jriver display by folder structure vs genre/artist/title tags?

My structure is like this
F:\music\jazz
F:\music\rock 60s-70s
F:\music\pop 80s
etc....

and then i have the artist below the genre folders
and then i have the albums below the artist folders
and then i have the songs below the album folders

H E L P   PLEASE...this will be the last thing i need to do to complete my efforts!

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 01:49:15 am »

Why not browse by genre?

NNTK

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »

How do i replace the genre tag with my folder structure?
Or better can jriver display by folder structure vs genre/artist/title tags?
Try library tools?
Right click at file then Library Tools > Fill Properties From Filename.

thesouvenir

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 07:03:02 pm »

Sorry to bump my own post but I've stopped using JRiver over this issue for years now, but geez, I'd like to try again.

Any headway made on this problem?
Pages: [1]   Go Up