INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedicating a cheap laptop to JRiver  (Read 2724 times)

mindblanking

• Junior Woodchuck
Dedicating a cheap laptop to JRiver
« on: June 15, 2014, 08:35:57 am »

Right now my wife and I share a computer.  So when I want to utilize JRiver to listen to my music library through my DAC I have to move the computer and have to find times when she's not doing work.  I'd like to find something cheap to keep near my system that will really only be for JRiver.  Any recommendations?  Also, will I be able to have JRiver installed on BOTH computers?  Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Dedicating a cheap laptop to JRiver
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 08:45:31 am »

Our new hardware product could be used to play from the existing laptop:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89084.0

You would probably want to control it from a tablet or phone.

mindblanking

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 09:03:25 am »

I use the JRiver remote app on my IPhone now.  Is that what you mean?  Also, seems like this product is strictly for streaming.  Wouldn't a laptop with my external hard drive (where I store my music) attached make more sense in terms of both flexibility and price?  Are there any sonic benefits to going this route vs. a second laptop?  Thanks!

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »

I was in a similar boat to the o/p a few years back - went down to my local pc store, bought a modest HP G62 that was on special offer, and it has all worked out excellently. I also had hundreds of cds to rip at the time, so having a dedicated machine was a big advantage. If I was wanting a machine today I might be tempted by the Asus Transformer Book T100. Doesn't seem too expensive, has a touch screen that might be fun to use with MC, and is fanless so isn't going to irritate domestically. You could just leave it set in MC and it should be easy for family use. And of course it could pull music from anywhere on your network. And a +1 for JRemote if you have an iThing. You JRiver licence covers a fair number of machines in your home, so you wouldn't need to buy any more.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:58:58 pm »

Right now my wife and I share a computer.  So when I want to utilize JRiver to listen to my music library through my DAC I have to move the computer and have to find times when she's not doing work.  I'd like to find something cheap to keep near my system that will really only be for JRiver.  Any recommendations?  Also, will I be able to have JRiver installed on BOTH computers?  Thanks!
I think everyone should have at least 2 computers in the same household with similar operating systems. Depending on your budget and ability to install operating systems if needed, install drivers, set up your network, etc., pretty much any modern dual core laptop will do, and since you are using an external DAC the laptop type or speed should not affect sound quality (within reason).

If purchasing new, get familiar with what is out there in your price range, and which manufacturers are typically better quality. Right now Asus and HP seem to be doing pretty well quality wise, but that can be model specific. Some good deals can be had on your local craigslist or ebay, but you need to know up front what you are buying in to. Some good deals can be found through slickdeals.net, and not just on computer hardware.

Edit:
I use the JRiver remote app on my IPhone now.  Is that what you mean?  Also, seems like this product is strictly for streaming.  Wouldn't a laptop with my external hard drive (where I store my music) attached make more sense in terms of both flexibility and price?  Are there any sonic benefits to going this route vs. a second laptop?  Thanks!
I agree with getting a laptop as you suggested. The external drive need not be connected directly if the music files are available via share on the network. I only use Gizmo (Android) but assume JRemote will also remote control JRiver running on a pc on the same network (play to server). Audio quality will typically be better playing files directly with JRiver (even if the files are remotely shared over a network) vs. streaming. JRiver is very powerful and versatile.... you can play different files simultaneously to separate "zones" (think of a zone as a hardware or network connection) while streaming others to different devices (IPhone, Android) at the same time, all from one pc/laptop).
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 05:21:58 pm »

Also, will I be able to have JRiver installed on BOTH computers?  Thanks!

The licensing terms are generous.  You can use your license key to install JRiver on multiple home computers, within reason.  You'll only need one license to do what you want (assuming all of your computers will use the same OS; Windows, OS X, and Linux versions of MC are licensed separately).
Pages: [1]   Go Up