INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convolution of multi-channel moves for active stereo speakers  (Read 1480 times)

zydeco

• Junior Woodchuck

I’m after some advice as to how to set-up convolution to support multi-channel movies into stereo 2-way active speakers. My set-up for 2-channel 44kHz sources is shown below and working fine:

44100 2 4 0
0 0
0 0 0 0
C:\Impulses\XO1L44.wav
C:\Impulses\XO2L44.wav
C:\Impulses\XO1R44.wav
C:\Impulses\XO2R44.wav

How would I set-up for movie playback – most of which are 5.1 or 7.1 – given that I’m not interested in the multi-channel speakers but rather getting a “stereo mix” to work for my active speakers? Is it possible to have JRiver to downmix to stereo before use of the above convolution file? Or do I need to do the downmix in the convolution file, and, if so, then how?

Regards
Zydeco

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Convolution of multi-channel moves for active stereo speakers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 06:24:45 am »

I’m after some advice as to how to set-up convolution to support multi-channel movies into stereo 2-way active speakers. My set-up for 2-channel 44kHz sources is shown below and working fine:

44100 2 4 0
0 0

How would I set-up for movie playback – most of which are 5.1 or 7.1 – given that I’m not interested in the multi-channel speakers but rather getting a “stereo mix” to work for my active speakers? Is it possible to have JRiver to downmix to stereo before use of the above convolution file? Or do I need to do the downmix in the convolution file, and, if so, then how?

I also run active speakers and use convolution, and it's easy to fix. Set JRiver's output format to "two channel in a 5.1 channel container" and then enable JRSS mixing.  This will cause JRiver to downmix 5.1 to stereo, but will leave you some blank channels to work with.  Your convolution file should do the rest.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up