INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Classical CD's and YADB  (Read 1850 times)

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Classical CD's and YADB
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:49:32 pm »

It would be nice if Media Center users could simply pay a license fee to access the SonataDB rather than having to buy a separate product though.
Would be an improvement indeed as YADB is very limited and Freedb highly unstructured (talking classical).
But support of internet databases is the weak part of JRiver and I'm afraid is will stay so.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Classical CD's and YADB
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 02:31:51 pm »

Would be an improvement indeed as YADB is very limited and Freedb highly unstructured (talking classical).
But support of internet databases is the weak part of JRiver and I'm afraid is will stay so.
YADB has millions of CD's.  No database is complete.

YADB is also steadily improved by watching user choices.  Entries that get chosen rise to the top, others fall until they are removed.

Freedb is also supported.

The problem with classical CD's is that there are no tagging standards.

Vincent Kars

Classical CD's and YADB
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 05:06:19 pm »

The problem with classical CDs is that they are not recognized by YADB

JimH

• Administrator
Classical CD's and YADB
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 09:36:01 am »

The problem with classical CDs is that they are not recognized by YADB
I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.  You may not find some CD's, but that is most likely a tag issue, not an issue with MC or YADB.

Even something as simple as Artist is often used for orchestra or composer. 

Garbage in, garbage out.

Vincent Kars

Re: Classical CD's and YADB
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 10:07:50 am »

I'm sorry, but that is incorrect.  You may not find some CD's, but that is most likely a tag issue, not an issue with MC or YADB.

Are you sure?
Most of the time the lookup of a CD is not done using tags but using the TOC (track length, sequence of tracks)

Even if one submit ones tracks explicitly to YADB they are not recognized on retrieval.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87189.0
Would be nice if this will be fixed

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 10:37:23 am »

CD lookup uses the TOC info.  Track lookup uses a hash of the track's sound.  The two are linked when possible.

Mike48

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:31:07 pm »

There is a real issue here.  I use dBpoweramp for ripping, rather than MC, because DPBA gives access to more useful tagging databases. Freedb is totally useless for classical music . . . apparently it is used only by folks limited to itunes and ipod and their lack of fields. (The source of the "lack of standards" was Apple's crass decision to throw anything but pop music under the bus to make its i-system simple.)  Of course it's true that standards are lacking or not always followed, but it doesn't follow that any database is good enough, nor that you can't do better.

Some databases, including Sonata and AMG, give far more useful information than YADB or freeDB for tagging classical.

Pages: [1]   Go Up