INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with multiple album artist (auto) settings  (Read 1171 times)

raider

• Junior Woodchuck
Help with multiple album artist (auto) settings
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:13:29 am »

Hi,

I have read the following posts:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68609.msg462218#msg462218

But I still can't get the hang of it...hence this question.

I have a album titled "Pop Memories of the 60s - Blue Velvet". There are 32 songs in this album...obviously by different singer/artists.

In JRiver's album view, I am seeing each of these songs being represented by an album art and I do not want the same album art repeated itself 32 times. I want to see one album only and when I click that album, I want to see the individual artist that are associated with this album.

How do I do this?

I attached a screenshot of how my album view and list view looks like.

Thanks

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with multiple album artist (auto) settings
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:08:31 am »

Yuk.

You need to show the "Album Artist" field, select all files in this album and then populate the album artist field with (Multiple Artists).

Next, you need to fix the track numbers for the album.
Next, you need to fix the names for these tracks.

Finally, assuming that these have all been saved in individual folders, you need to select them all and 'right click > library tools > rename, move & copy files' and then fill the templates to get the tracks into the one album folder.

Job done.

================================

Alternatively, select all tracks (in this album), press shift+delete, and confirm the delete request.

Next, re-rip the CD, but before starting the rip, set the columns in the rip details view as shown by Alex, set the tags, then rip, and this time they should be filed correctly on disk and in the MC library.

-marko

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:30 am »

To clarify, you never manually edit the "Album Artist (Auto)" field. MC takes care of this, and however MC has done this gives a clue if things are wrong...

Looking at your list, for example, I predict that when you look at the "Album Artist" field for these tracks you will most likely see that for most of them, the field will be empty. In these cases, "Album Artist (Auto)" mirrors the "Artist" field.

The Nilsson, Barry Sadler, Kingston Trio and Henry Mancini tracks would appear to have differring "Artist" and "Album Artist (Auto)" fields. This suggests to me that these tracks will have populated "Album Artist" fields. When "Album Artist" is populated, the "Album Artist (Auto)" field mirrors "Album Artist"

Finally, if the tracks are all tagged with exactly the same album, are sequentially numbered and are all saved in the same folder, MC automatically detects this as a various artists album and populates "Album Artist (Auto)" with "(Multiple Artists)", as long as the "Album Artist" tags are empty, otherwise, the previous statement is applied.

In your case above, MC believes it has 20-odd albums from different artists, all named the same, and all containing just one track. When ripping CDs, it's a good idea to check all the tags we've discussed here prior to beginning the rip, as fixing them beforehand ensures that they are added to the library correctly.

Hope that helps.

-marko

raider

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:50:37 am »

Thanks Marko! That solves it.... :) Appreciated your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up