INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Export to Excel  (Read 8348 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Library Export to Excel
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:51:20 am »

Hi

Is there any way to dump a list of Album names to Excel or any other format .

I presume that the db/library format is a JRiver proprietary one , I can see the files but  extracting stuff seems a bit tricky. Any format will do , maybe drop to a SQL db for example

I suppose I could write the code to do it but if someone already has well ...

I need to print a list of my albums , and being lazy do not want to do it the hard way.

Ta Mike

Hilton

Re: Library Export to Excel
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:20:41 am »

There's a few ways to do it depending on what you want to do with it.

You can export the library to XML and import it into Excel and then filter it. It will take quite a while to load into excel.

You can past this query into the search panel in MC19 while you've selected albums in the tree view and it will return 1 song from every album.
You can then save it as a playlist, export that playlist to a playlist CSV file and open it in excel.
Code: [Select]
[Media Type]=[audio] ~limit=-1,1,[album] ~limit=-1,3,[album],[album artist (auto)] ~sort=[Sequence]

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:01:01 am »

Very similar to what I was about to post, Hiltonk.
The only thing I wasn't able to figure out, which your expression helped with, was how to use limit on multiple fields at once.

The expression you have posted doesn't work for my library where there are multiple albums with the name "Greatest Hits" by different artists though, as it only allows one album to use the same name.

Now in my case, all of my music is tagged with the sub type of "Music" - I'm not sure if that happens by default or if it's something which I did myself, so you might not want to include that rule.

I would create a new Smart List, and paste this into the Import/Export section:
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Media Sub Type]=[Music] ~sort=[Date],[Track #] ~limit=-1,1,[album],[album artist (auto)] ~sort=[Album Artist (auto)]
This will give you one entry for every combination of Album and Album Artist (auto)
Rather than only displaying a single "Greatest Hits" entry for the whole library, it will display one for each artist.
Same goes for any other duplicate album names, as it's comparing both Album and Album Artist (auto) together.

Now set up the view of the Smartlist as you want the data to appear in Excel.
You might only want to have columns displaying [Album Artist (auto)] and [Album] for example.

Select all the items and hit copy.
Then paste into Excel and tell it that the data is separated by tabs.

I use Libre Office, and it asks me how the data is formatted when I paste it - I don't know if you need a special paste command in Excel for this.

Export as a playlist using the "Text File (CSV delimited)" and "Only Visible Fields" options selected.
Now you can simply open the CSV file in Excel (or Libre Office) to view the listing.

Hilton

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:08:56 am »

Yeah I meant to remove the second limit argument.  I copied it off the wiki and adapted it. This one works better.

[Media Type]=[audio] ~limit=-1,1,[album],[album artist (auto)] ~sort=[Sequence]

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:19:30 am »

For what it's worth, the additional sorts I have used are there because I have multiple versions of the same album in my library. (and it won't hurt things if you don't)

Sorting by date and track # before using limit means that limit always grabs the first track from the earliest version in the library. (usually the original)

If you don't do this, limit seems to pick a track at random for each combination of Album & Album Artist (auto)

This meant that when I sorted the results by date, the order they were being displayed in could change each time I opened the Smartlist, depending on which version the track came from.

MikeO

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 12:36:41 am »

Thanks to everybody , I created the Smartlist as suggested and whammo its in Excel

Cheers

Mike

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 06:20:18 am »

I still think this should be a built in function of JRiver.  This way it will auto update as the library grows and there is no need to copy/paste into Excel as the library changes which is often in my case. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 07:58:36 am »

I still think this should be a built in function of JRiver.  This way it will auto update as the library grows and there is no need to copy/paste into Excel as the library changes which is often in my case.
Well using a Smartlist will update as the library changes.
I just had a look at the "Export Playlist" options, and I see that there is an option to only include visible fields, rather than all fields. (which I assumed it would do)

If you create the Smartlist I posted, you can simply use the File → Export Playlist command.
As long as you select the "Text File (CSV delimited)" and "Only Visible Fields" options, you will have a file that Excel should be able to view directly.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 10:15:41 pm »

Yeah I meant to remove the second limit argument.  I copied it off the wiki and adapted it. This one works better.

Media Type]=[audio] ~limit=-1,1,[album],[album artist (auto)] ~sort=[Sequence]

There's a typo trap for young players (like me) in there: a square bracket [ is required before the "Media" to make it work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 07:07:20 am »

There's a typo trap for young players (like me) in there: a square bracket [ is required before the "Media" to make it work.
Thanks.  I fixed it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up