INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is MC 19 restoring licensees?  (Read 1162 times)

LewinskiH01

• Recent member
Why is MC 19 restoring licensees?
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »

Ten days ago I had to do a fresh Windows Server 2012 R2 install on my server. Naturally, I had to re-install JRiver, entered the license info I had from the prior purchase, and all was running well. Of course, I got an e-mail saying I had used one of the 10 restores available in a 12-month period.

I used JRiver thereafter, but a week after from doing the fresh install I started the server and JRiver prompted as if I had not purchased the software: offering the 30-day trial, or the option to enter the license number (BUT my license number was shown in grey in the box already). I accepted the info presented in the box, and JRiver has since worked as expected. But I got another e-mail indicating I had used onother restore from the 10 available in 12 months.

Why is this happening? I'm concerned I might run out of restores even though I'm not restoring anything.

thank you!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why is MC 19 restoring licensees?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »

Once MC19 is licensed, it shouldn't ever ask again.

The license is pre-entered into the box in the Licensing Dialog if it is in your system clipboard (to make it easier to copy/paste it in).  So, if when presented with the thing, you went and found the code and did "copy" then that explains why it was already there.

If you successfully licensed it the first time, then I can't explain why it asked again.  Even when you uninstall MC it should remain licensed when you reinstall it.  The only things I can see messing it up are:

1. If your system time was all out of whack at some point (either when you did it the first time, or in-between).
2. If you used a registry cleaner or one of those "uninstall helper" applications.  (Don't do that, they're all pretty much terrible.)
3. If you went in and manually mucked about with JRiver registry keys.
4. If you did a system restore in between (rolling changes back to before the license was applied in the first place).

I was assured that "u can't run out of restores as you can post here and ask for a reset" then I was told not to worry about it....

This is true.  If you ever run out of restores for a legitimate reason (as in, you're not giving your license away to friends and family), just ask and they'll reset them for you.

So... Keep an eye on it.  Hopefully it doesn't come back again.  If it does, let us know, so we can figure out why.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

LewinskiH01

• Recent member
Re: Why is MC 19 restoring licensees?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 03:10:28 pm »

thanks for the replies.

None of the 4 situations described above apply to my case. One thing the sounds a bit like those, though, is turning Windows Server from GUI to Core mode and back, plus running AudioPhil's Optimizer on it and resetting it. I have done that in the past repetitively without JRiver asking for the license number again, though, so it's more of a wild guess than correlating cause & effect.

Hopefully it will go away just as it showed up  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up