INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with the JRiver Subtitle Engine Renderer (with comparison Video Links)  (Read 4815 times)

aftershocking

While the subtitle renderer works well for most formats, it has issues with certain features of the SSA / ASS sidecar format (commonly used in fansubbed anime with various advanced techniques in use with newer series).

Similar topics have been brought up in the past (see: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82827.0) requesting an alternative subtitle renderer to work alongside the MadVR Video Renderer (like you could customise MPC-HC to do).

However judging by the jump from v18 to v19 there are visible changes to the JRiver subtitle engine that have improved SSA / ASS support, despite this there are some outstanding issues still which can be viewed from the following links.

To get around this issue, I switch from the Red October HQ profile to a Custom Video Mode profile which loads subtitles without issues (this also means I cannot use MadVR in JRiver).

For reference, the "Custom Video Mode" uses the Haali Video Renderer, LAV Video Decoder, LAV Splitter Source and DirectVobSub (auto-loading version). This setup presents subtitles as they were intended.

The MadVR setup uses the "Red October HQ" (RO-HQ) profile which uses the JRiver Subtitle Engine.

Subtitles are presented with no shifting and 100% default size.

The following links point to short clips (of limited anime series which represent issues prevalent in many other series) presenting both profiles and how they display subtitles, these have been recorded via Desktop Capture through Nvidia's ShadowPlay (no audio capture, just visual).

Series                               Scene                     
Link                                 
Issue     
Zankyou no Terror
OP
Custom
a.pomf.se/ccdwiz.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/umvbok.mp4Bevel text shifted away from originating location, quickfading animations lacking
SpeechCustoma.pomf.se/jssejw.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/dxwtxt.mp4Very common issue (not just in this series), off-center (to the right) text causes it to appear off-screen (without the use of manual resizing)
BlackboardCustoma.pomf.se/ebbdha.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/tddqlf.mp4Written name loses formatting and size, also moves around periodically.
PhoneCustoma.pomf.se/vyndfv.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/jnvcnv.mp4Text misaligned from phone display, extra subtitle data displayed making text unreadable
YoutubeCustoma.pomf.se/wssrft.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/obbyam.mp4Text misaligned from youtube name display, moves around
Phone (2)Customa.pomf.se/zyfies.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/cleoht.mp4Phone text misaligned, outside of phone
Sword Art OnlineOPCustoma.pomf.se/wkxwgy.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/yzvmfj.mp4Karaoke subtitles jumbled together, animations lacking
IM ChatCustoma.pomf.se/wweowm.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/bjqwgt.mp4Misaligned text, incorrect colours
Tokyo GhoulOPCustoma.pomf.se/fzgkxp.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/bcpqcx.mp4Text missing intended colours, no fade animations
EDCustoma.pomf.se/xfrvwz.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/kyjidx.mp4Unnecessary subtitle data displayed, special text fade misrepresented, text jumbled together
Knights of SidoniaHUDCustoma.pomf.se/weiwou.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/jxnnut.mp4Unnecessary subtitle data displayed, text formatting larger than should be, text tracking across screen incorrect, does not replace existing text as intended.
Aldnoah.ZeroOPCustoma.pomf.se/orexxw.mp4
RO-HQa.pomf.se/mzoxnf.mp4Animations not working, unnecessary subtitle data displayed, text moving/shifting and resizing randomly around screen

If you need any more information, let me know, hope this helps  :)

sgfrisbee

• Recent member

How did you get subtitles working in UTW Sword Art Online anime.  I have
Media Center 21.0.81 and no matter what setting I do I can't get subtitles to
work.  Any tips you can give me on how to fix this would me help out.  Right
now I'm using Windows 7 Media Center but I would switch to JRiver in a heart
beat if subtitles worked.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up