INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] Smarter Album Artist (auto) Naming  (Read 2327 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
[REQ] Smarter Album Artist (auto) Naming
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »

As detailed here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90022.0

• When all tracks are by the same single Artist, that should be the Album Artist.
  • When all tracks contain the same primary artist, but include a mixture of secondary artists, the primary artist should be used.
  • When all tracks contain the same list of artists, the entire list should be considered the Album Artist, rather than using the first artist in the list, or (Multiple Artists)
  • When different tracks have entirely different artists (i.e. lacking a "primary artist") only then should it be considered a (Multiple Artists) album.

The changes since build 19.0.145 are a regression from the previous behavior, with too many albums now being grouped into (Multiple Artists) and collaborations only being listed by the first Artist in the list.

The proposed changes should account for most possibilities, mostly eliminating the need to manually enter Album Artist information.

Matias

• World Citizen
  • Digital Audio
Re: [REQ] Smarter Album Artist (auto) Naming
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 06:36:22 pm »

+1, this always messes playlists.
1. Sonore ultraRendu - UpTone ISO Regen - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NC800 SL PRO - Thiel CS3.7
2. LG 65UM7470PSA - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NCore MP mch - Monitor Audio Platinum PL100+PLC150 - SVS SB-3000
3. RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP
4. TempoTec Sonata E44 - Audeze LCDi3
5. Meizu HiFi DAC - Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 03:27:06 am »

What I really don't like about the change is the way the field update isn't instant.  It's the only place I can think of where there is such a delay and I find it continually trips me up while tagging new albums. 

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 02:39:01 pm »

5.  When the first N characters of [Artist] match, then [Album Artist (auto)] is all matched characters (and "N" is a user-definable quantity with a reasonable default).

Example:

Armin Van Buuren - Name of first track
Armin Van Buuren Featuring John Doe - Name of second track
Armin Van Buuren Featuring Tupac Shakur and Michael Jackson - Name of third track

So if N=10, then [Album Artist (auto)] is "Armin Van Buuren" since the code will use all matched characters, rather than just the first 10.

This would mean that I would not have to Tag [Album Artist] for my albums that do not have [Album Artist] tags in the online database.

Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:57:03 pm »

I think that would be better served by treating "Feat." "Featuring" "And" "&" etc. as list separators in the Artist field, then the rules above would apply.

Only matching a certain number of characters seems like it would result in false positives.
Though the above might result in some false positives too, I'm not sure.

I feel like it's a case that is better handled by manual intervention - either adding an Album Artist, or converting the Artist field to a proper list. (assuming the above changes are made)
Pages: [1]   Go Up