INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleanest way to upgrade from previous versions of MC  (Read 2231 times)

bassmann

• Recent member
Cleanest way to upgrade from previous versions of MC
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:54:24 pm »

Hi there,

I've been running MC18 and just pre-purchased a MC20 licence. Whilst MC20 not available yet, I'd like to update my software to MC19 in the interim.

I have a 2 PC setup running Windows 7. 1 PC runs as a media server only, with the server service running on startup. The second as a client with a lot of customised settings. I'd like to preserve all my setting when upgrading and remove previous versions  of MC in the process.

Scenario 1
What are the steps to upgrade a previous install and which order should they be done? i.e. Do I uninstall MC18 first, then install MC19? How do I bring the MC18 settings across?

Scenario 2
Clean install on a refresh OS build. If I go straight to MC19, how do I backup, convert and import all my MC18 settings.

It would also be good to know if there are any setting that cannot be brought across. e.g. What about 3rd party plugins in the DSP studio. I'm running a 7 channel parametric with 6 eq's per channel. If I lose these setting it would take days of mic calibration to set my speakers to my liking.

Thanks,

Bassmann

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Cleanest way to upgrade from previous versions of MC
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:31 pm »

Install MC19 before you uninstall.  It will automatically migrate most of your settings.

Restore from a library backup to be extra sure.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:11:57 pm »

To echo Matt's comment, my first thought was - backup your library. Not only does it contain your library but also contains your settings.

Seriously cool to my mind that MC automatically grabs your settings from the old version that's already installed.

My second thought (and third and fourth) was:
Wiki, Wiki, Wiki!

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC19
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Upgrade_to_MC20

So much cool stuff in there. Give it a read. Hopefully it helps. All the best with the upgrade and enjoy MC20..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

p23741

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 11:27:59 am »

I upgraded from mc18 to 20 and none of my zones or setting transferred across like they did when I went from 17 to 18. I uninstalled 20. There must be something that can be done so it is transparent. Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:30:33 am »

I upgraded from mc18 to 20 and none of my zones or setting transferred across like they did when I went from 17 to 18. I uninstalled 20. There must be something that can be done so it is transparent. Thanks

If you install MC19, then MC20, I think your settings would migrate.  Each version only migrates from one version back.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up