INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to share libraries?  (Read 973 times)

aRCLiGHT

Is there a way to share libraries?
« on: February 08, 2002, 09:11:27 pm »

Okay, I will probably get spanked by the license police, but I need to know.  I have my main home system loaded with MJ and all the MP3's.  I have a couple of notebooks that I use for work.  When I am at home, I would like for the notebook to be able to use my home systems library.  So, I installed MJ on the Win2k notebook and pointed a library towards the home system.  I was able to get it to retrieve the library and play a song.  However, I am getting a recurring error:  

Crital error: Media Jukebox failed to open a necessary database file. (a file could be read-only or corrupt)

Is there anyway to get around this?  Ok, you are free to spank now...  

aRCLiGHT

aRCLiGHT

RE:Is there a way to share libraries?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2002, 09:13:19 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I have the same drive letter mapped on the notebook that I have on the home system so the song locations match the database.  The error is really weird as in between the error showing up, I can get songs to play just fine.....

Udo_1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2002, 10:55:05 pm »

Hi,

how about sharing only the files, build your own libary on your notebook. If you map your music files exactly as they are on  your server, you can import your playlists as well. It works fine. Maybe you miss on song, but rarely. The only chance for this is: this song is played on both machines simultaniosly (sharing violation).

Uod

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2002, 11:44:13 pm »

Build the Library once, then (in 8.x) "File-Library-Library-Manager-Backup". On your notebooks, connect to your shared server drive and use the same drive letter as on your server (if necessary also connect a network drive on your server to it's own shared drive to have the same letter on all machines - I use drive Z).

Then import (as above but Button "Restore") the original library on your notebook.

cjdshaw

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2002, 07:03:27 am »

Do you have MJ running on both machines at the same time? I get a few problems if I do this, but otherwise it works fine.
I assume the server share with the database files and mp3s on it is writable by the laptop?

eso

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2002, 10:33:23 pm »

Normally I use only one machine at a time but playing on several computers should work without problem. Only modifying the file properties of the same file isn't possible (and modifications won't be visible in the other MJ instance).

The database files should be local to each installation, that's the reason I suggest to use backup and restore. Sharing the database files may also be possible, but then you have to avoid any kind of update from either side.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2002, 02:01:25 am »

I access the same library from three machines on our little LAN at home.
But only one has write access.
The other two are in "party mode".
Means you can play and search, etc but eliminates the possibility of contradictory (database corrupting) over-saving.
If I am certain that MJ is not running on either of the other two machines, I can flick out of party mode and make database edits, if I wish.  But I try and avoid that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up