INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ramifications of running multiple DLNA servers?  (Read 5087 times)

sdawson

Ramifications of running multiple DLNA servers?
« on: August 16, 2014, 03:05:33 am »

I use a Mac Mini as a sort of server. It runs MC for music, but I also have the need to serve movies. For this I use Yazsoft's Playback software. I also run EyeTV, and in order to be able to watch live TV on iPad, iPhones etc, I have to turn on an option that makes EyeTV run as yet another server.

If one of these starts before MC, MC's SSDP server obviously fails to start because port 1900 is already in use. But I'm wondering what ramifications this has. And if I start MC first, the other software won't be able to start their own SSDP server. It does seem to be hard to get all the servers visible to clients at the same time, and to keep them visible. But is this the way DLNA is supposed to work? I would hope it is possible to run multiple servers like this simultaneously, otherwise I'm stuck! I'm not sure what the SSDP server actually does.

Any hints gratefully accepted...

sdawson

Re: Ramifications of running multiple DLNA servers?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:45:31 pm »

Anyone got any knowledge of this area?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:06:41 pm »

You could try an Internet search to read about SSDP.  It's a discovery protocol.  But I know of no reason that two servers couldn't both use it. 

sdawson

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 05:30:52 pm »

Hi JimH. I have tried to hunt around but it all gets technical very quickly. I do know that the service uses port 1900, and that, at least on Macs, once one service has claimed that port no others can use it. So if, for instance, Playback starts before MC, MC's SSDP service fails to start. I just don't know what ramifications this has on discovering MC's media servers or Playback from, say, my Oppo. I'm finding that it takes some time for the Oppo to find all the servers, and sometimes doesn't find them all at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up