INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Completely standalone version?  (Read 2675 times)

arthur071169

• Recent member
Completely standalone version?
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:56:05 am »

Hi All.
I am jumping platform 'potentially' (I have JRMC19 happily working on a windows 7 PC, accessible form home and JRemote all working wonderfully with my ipads, and iphones as controllers, then using bluetooth sending to speakers in various locations.)  I also have (read below) a Dac Magic 100 hanging off my pc and connected to the analog input on my livingroom amp.

I am however, and before upgrading to the new version considering the following, but do not know if it is possible.

I would like a macbook, running JRMC20 to be a 'completely' isolated and standalone 'server' accessible via Wifi devices for JRemote control purposes (phones and Ipads etc).
I have already have an external USB 2.0 dac (24/192) that I want to move over to the macbook. 
The dac will then connect to an amp.
I will have an external usb 3.0 4tb hard disc where my media will live.

yup, I would like a purely portable (and no, I am not a DJ) and seperate from the home network, a mac based JRiver music server.

I have so many friends jealous of my collection (happily 80+% all owned and not downloaded) but I struggle to chose or allow them to select albums/tracks, when all I can bring is an external hard disc, and they have no iinterface to see/find music.

the macbook would not be connected to 'their' netowrk, so it would be acting as a standalone Wifi hotspot, DHCP, etc, as well as running JRMC20 as a media server.

Help?

regards,
Arthur.

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Completely standalone version?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:18:09 am »

Why don't you give them access remotely to your home server? I do it with my family/friends and all it's been ok, everyone happy.

PS. Your family/friends must have MC or JRemote to be able to access.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

TCube

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:38:44 am »

Hello,

If I get it right :
I would like a Macbook, running JRMC20 to be a 'completely' isolated and standalone 'server' accessible via Wifi devices for JRemote control purposes (phones and Ipads etc).

One way is to setup your modem/router with 2 different access "Names".
- First : "Personal" = name + WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES] key  / Channel
- Second : "Guest" = name  + WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES] different key / Different Channel use

Force one Pc  by default to connect to "Personal" (Your Windows 7) and the second by default to "Guest" network name (Your Mac)
This shouldn't be much trouble on your home Network but should once for all separate outside access from Wifi.
Rgds
Tc

arthur071169

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:05:56 am »

Easy answer,
I want to take my kit to other peples homes, and I cannot take my internet access with me.

They bring the beer, others bring the food, I bring the music.

Regards,
Arthur.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 11:22:35 am »

I must be missing something (do not have a mac, btw)?

What do you need to use their network for?  If you want to bring your kit, why not just take your portable, the DAC, and your external hard drive and use the portable as the controler, renderer and server. Leave your ipad at home -  one less thing to carry. (or you could put both your ipad and portable on their network if you needed to

All you have to do is plug the cambridge dac into their preamp.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 10:14:10 am »

This isn't a function of MC at all, but there are two options:

1. EASIEST: Buy an Airport Express and throw it in your bag.  Plug into power at the location and join that network. Done.

2. LESS EASY BUT FREE (and still easy):  make an ad-hoc network on you macbook:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13796
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:28 am »

Note: Bad thing about both, you'll have no Internet access on your iOS devices in most cases while connected to the wifi.  You won't be able to use the JRiver Access Key system to configure the iOS clients, and will need to connect via ip addresses instead. This can be somewhat troublesome, especially with an ad hoc network as the address your macbook will assign itself will change each time (by default, at least).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up