INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help configuring LINN DS and JRiver  (Read 17119 times)

The Legend

• Recent member
Need help configuring LINN DS and JRiver
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:44:17 am »

Hello to everybody,

my system worked fine, now I wanted to add the Replaygain on my tracks (I used dBpoweramp converter) and I have a big problem.

Starting I listen few songs and was ok, than when I choose the track to play it start and make 5 seconds of silence and go back to 0.

This problem is in all the songs I have (Flac format and Mp3) when I select the track to play.

It doesn't play any more any tracks.

I tried to download again the JRemote App but the problem persist.

For sure is the Replaygain the problem, since for many months I used without any problem.

About the Replaygain Setup I follow "Step 1: Analyze Audio Files" and "Step 2: Set your Playback Mode to Read the Replay Gain Values"

Please help me I'm disperate !!!!

Thank youuuu

Giorgio

(Windows+JRiver+Upnp+Ipad+JRemote+Linn Majik)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote KO, problem with Replaygain
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:29:35 pm »

Hi

Not sure I'm following you but as I use dbpoweramp too (sorry guys  :P) ... however are you saying you are using their dsp's while you are ripping??

If so I would not recommend that. Rip to bit-perfect "secure", then analyze your files in JRiver. The equivalent of replay gain (euh not equivalent,  10x better) will be applied. Should you need this to port to external programs or portables, just mark the tags to write to disk in the options. Adding external DSPs written to the file might cause some conflicts. But a rip from dbpoweramp, imported to JRiver then doing Analyze Audio  from the Library Tools menu will definitely do the trick. Use the dbpoweramp converter AFTER you have done this not before ... ok IMOE :)

If you don't know what I'm talking about, reply and I'll show you which fields this entails and how to make sure they write to the file.

cheers

The Legend

• Recent member
Re: Need help configuring LINN DS and JRiver
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:37:15 am »

Hi Arindelle thank you for prompt reply,

now I understand, i ripped my cds with dbpoweramp cd ripper in the past, and now I used again on these files the dbpoweramp converter to add the repalygain on meta data.

What you say is that the replaygain on metadata is not working properly on JRiver and so I must not add the replaygain but use other tools on JRiver, correct ?

If so I thank you if you show me which these fields this entails and how to write to the file.

Meanwhile please note that when I analyzed the tracks almost all of them the system says that don't need to analyzed, just few tracks on a total of more than 1000 tracks (mostly I have Flac and few MP3)

Byeeee  8)

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:47:29 am »

What you say is that the replaygain on metadata is not working properly on JRiver and so I must not add the replaygain but use other tools on JRiver, correct ?

No, replaygain works fine in JRiver. I just said it could cause conflicts, not that it would. As you know there are other fields being applied in JRiver which are more advaned than replay gain but can serve the same function (volume leveling and in JRiver adapive volume). If you do this through JRiver (overwrite the analysis on some of thsoe iffy tracks to be sure). I want to rule out the possibiliy of conflicts. You can convert on the fly through dbpower amp or through JRiver afterwards.

I'l get back to you with the fields as I don't have acces to JR at the moment.

cheers

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 03:06:59 am »

The fields are Peak Level (R128), Peak Level (Sample), Volume Level (R128), and Volume Level (Replay Gain). Of course the replay gain is the only one that will be readable in an ipod.

To have these write to disk, insure the check boxed is "checked", see screenshot.
Options=>Library&Folders=>Manage Library Fields.

After lossless tracks are analysed, then convert a copy via either JRiver or dbpoweramp (taking off their DSPs).

If you still have an issue, at least we know where not to look and you have better dynamic control over your flacs in JRiver if you need to use the DSPs.

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 02:42:46 am »

Before all I explain the reason why I use ReplayGain:
I have a Linn Akurate and a Linn Magik that I use as amply for the Akurate, as I explained on the post "Problem: bad quality audio. JRiver+Linn Akurate as reader+Linn Majik as amply" when I listen the track directly from Majik Ds the quality is ok, but when I use Akurate as reader and Majic as amply the quality is horrible. I understand too much technology involve together all these machines, so because I cannot find a solution and after too much time spent I started to become crazy, I decided to use for myself the software Kinsky from Linn (using Akurate and Majik as amply, so the best audio fidelity) and for my daughters the JRiver with JRemote (using Majik) because best interface and easy to use.
I love the JRiver interface 100 more than Kinsky but now I really want to listen the music.
I have all my music files (90% flac in 16 and 24 and some mp3) on my pc and I have a copy of those files on an Assetnas upnp (I use this for Kinsky and JRiver).

When I decided last week to insert replay gain on all my tracks on the Assetnas, Kinsky was fine but JRiver as I wrote stop to work (playback from 0 to 4 seconds with mute volume in loop).

Yesterday, to see if there are error messages instead using the JRemote on my Ipad I used the JRiver from my pc, and when I selected the track to play it showed this error:

"Something went wrong with playback.

Details:
Playback could not be started on the output 'Direct Sound' using the format '44.1khz 16bit 2ch'.
This output format may not be supported by your hardware. You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.
Also make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options"

I hope that this can help to better understand the situation.
May be it is the audio output that I have to change or some other things (volume settings etc) ... and after fixing the problem may be Replaygain in this case would not cause conflicts (hope).

Please please Help ....  :'( :'(

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 04:55:10 am »

hi have to actually work today, but I'm starting to understand. I have a Linn system, an old one now wih multiple LK amps and active analog crossovers -- I still LOVE the sound.

Litening through an Accurate DS + Majik (provided you connected these correctly and the Majik has enough power) should not give you ok sound they should give you great sound (or you sell them and get an external DAC and a LINN Klimax pre+ampli,  that would be simple to configure.  :D)

Forget the replay gain for a second -- TAKE OFF VOLUME LEVELING first in JRiver DSP studio. Lets get your system sounding "bit-perfect" great first. Then we can look at your kids' playlists.

You  are (I presume) using the DS as a DLNA device presently?

Question first to you (if you can answer) or other Linn DS owners ... can you use the DS as simple DAC/preamp? eg. JRiver PC to Nas and JRiver to DS. If it were possible and I owned the DS, I'd use it for the DAC and preamp only, as JRiver can be the network Media Server itself.

Playback could not be started on the output 'Direct Sound' using the format '44.1khz 16bit 2ch'.
This indicates that for some reason you are trying to run the music from Direct Sound output (the dirtiest sounds from windows right off the mother board - either DLNA, or ASIO, or WASAPI, but not direct sound.

The Replay gain is just a tag written to the files, your files are not permanantly normalized - so remove this form the equation as I said above.

I think the easiest would be to post a screen shot of your audio settings (from the options), the device settings, and maybe the DSP studio and the zone info under playing now from the tree from the install MC install on the PC.  That would answer a lot of back and forth questions.

I have heard that their is an inexpensive app called Catwalk which bridges JRiver and the DS http://getcatwalk.net.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/about.html.  On the other hand take a look at this post http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76839.0 here. Maybe for some jargon,  this guide would help ? http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/524-complete-guide-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/

I would suggest you re-title your post something like - Need help configuring LINN DS and JRiver. The DS owners here would know how to help better than I. Regardless, I am sure this is not a problem with either replay gain or JRemote so it is going to confuse people.

I'll try and check back tonight or tomorrow morning if no one else has jumped in. Hang in there :)

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 05:27:36 am »

You  are (I presume) using the DS as a DLNA device presently?

Question first to you (if you can answer) or other Linn DS owners ... can you use the DS as simple DAC/preamp? eg. JRiver PC to Nas and JRiver to DS. If it were possible and I owned the DS, I'd use it for the DAC and preamp only, as JRiver can be the network Media Server itself.

Sorry this sound me greek, I have difficulties to understand it, Akurate is the best player I have and Majik is lower to that but has amply inside that make power to the Akurate. Majik work alone also. This is all what I know, other things I don't know ... ex DS as DLNA (where do I get this information) also DAC/preamp etc

You are an engineer  I suppose ... ;D

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 05:43:44 am »

You are an engineer  I suppose ... ;D
;D  nan, I do play jazz piano, and bad guitar ;D

ok, don't worry about it.

could you take a screen shot of the audio options like the one below ? -- simpler to know what you have already configured -- and want to see if the DS is showing up in the tree at the left.

Look at the links I posted and maybe change the title of your post so others could help that own a DS.

I'll be back later tonight or tomorrow AM.

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 05:59:59 am »

Good, this afternoon when I'm back from the work I will post all the screen shoots.

Thank you again (for the patience ... eh eh ... )

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 02:41:08 pm »

Ok: I start with JRiver settings ...  ;)

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 02:43:37 pm »

Also

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 12:24:12 pm »

Linn Konfig:

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 12:29:07 pm »

And also the Linn Kinsky.

Awaiting your good suggestion  :) :)

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 01:28:29 pm »

Hello Arindelle ... any good news for me ? ;D ;D

Arindelle

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 02:58:21 pm »

Giorgio, ahh so, so sorry I've been up to my neck in non-audio stuff.  :-[

Anyways, whatever the problem lets start form the beginning as I'm running blind. What version of JRiver are you using? (I do not have anything older than version 19 installed anymore) With the gear you have it is worth upgrading.

My understanding is you either can treat your DS as a DLNA renderer for your network - if you don't know what that means ok for the moment. Do you use the Linn to stream to other network devices or just your ipad and your main stereo? If so what is the Linn playing to? Just the majik?

OR you can use the DS as just a good DAC (simplifies matters)

What I know you are doing wrong is you are using "Direct Sound" as your principal audio device ... you should be either using S/PDIF, Optical Out or USB if your DS is asynchronous which I think it is. Direct sound is the crap of the crap direct from Microsoft. -- if you are using the Linn as a DAC. So I think it would be a real good idea to start from scratch and get the best out of you system - also easier to see about solving replay gain issues when the basic set-up is right.

If you are using the Linn as a network player, it would be set up as a DLNA device. You have given me so many screenshots, but unfortunately not the ones that help me .... but in saying that if you have an old version of JRiver they wouldn't show up the same way.

So first how are you using the Linn -- as a network player or a stand alone for your stereo??.

And which choices do you have as audio devices (see screenshots) - one from windows the other from jriver -- if you are using it as a network player the Linn  should show up

Lastly what is showing up as choices for DLNA server and did you choose the default (Generic)? see third screenshot

don't mean to sound patronizing by the way, just trying to figure stuff out without throwing to much jargon at you :)

PS - Lots of you guys have Linn DS's! It'd be nice if you could help out a bit (ok passing the buck a bit but hey I don't own  one  :-*)

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »

Hi Arindelle,

ok first I updated to MC20 (before was 18), then I think I understood what is a DLNA and I think I use my DS as DLNA.
My system: all my house is cablated, I have an Assetnas with all my music inside with Media center installed and another pc that I use for work, I have a router, a modem, a switch and 3 Linn machines.
Akurate DS and Majik DSI are in the same room and a Sekrit is in another room, the loudspeakers are connected to the Majik DSI and the Sekrit with regular speaker cable.
I use my Ipad and my iphone to play the music in my home from the Assetnas to the linn machine I selected and to the room I selected.

About the new printscreen requested here they are:

Arindelle

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 03:21:05 am »

Oh my  :o Now this windows machine in the screenshot is the machine with JRiver installed on it, right? Is this Windows 8? (sorry am on win7).

I'm going to make some assumptions. Please correct me if I am wrong. Not trying to be condescending either, I'm just confused

1) Your Portable -  this is the PC that has MC installed (with Media server checked) and all the screenshots come from that. This is booted whenever you listen to music.

2) your AssetNAS - I see this runs Windows Home Server and also AssetUPnP -- (from illustrate ... dbpoweramp's company?). you have NOT tried to install JRiver on this machine right?. I know very little about assetupnp but it seems like you can use the nas + kinsky software from Linn with the DS directly. JRiver is its own media server. Your NAS should just be providing files (like an external drive)

If either 1 or 2 are not correct => It is normal that you can't get any sound; I'm astonished that you ever could play anything through JRiver by the way if this is the case.

Please confirm these two things before we go any further.

Oh by the way, you have some very high end gear here. In my opinion, in the DLNA config you should NOT be set to Mp3 but to 24 bit PCM (not important now) and you should uncheck volume leveling here (should be done through dsp studio, if possible with the LinnDS). It is also possible that you can't use the generique dlna, but have to use the audiophile 24-bit dac option (we see about that later, but maybe you could check on the linn forums).

Also it is obvious that you have for some reason disabled all sound devices in Windows. You have to do enable this first, but please confirm that this screen is from your portable computer and not the NAS before you do anything.

Le auguro quindi buona fortuna, a presto signor Giorgio :D

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 05:14:56 am »

Well ... not really like that  ;D .... the screenshots I sent you about the MC are all from the Assetnas, so JRiver is on that machine. While the screenshots of the Linn Konfig and Linn Kinsky are all from my Pc.

I don't know if when I updated to MC20 some settings are changed, if you want I can print the new screenshots of the MC20 as I did for the MC18.

A little introduction about the AssetUPnP, before having the Assetnas all my music was on a Twonky media server and at that time I bought the Asset UPnp from dbpoweramp's company because It was necessary for the replaygain. Later I decided to buy a bigger server and I bought the Assetnas which is sold already with AssetUPnp inside (if I well remember).
After that I decided to change from the Kinsky to MC18.

My music is streamed from the Assetnas and not from my pc because the pc usually is switched off (only when I need it I switch it on)

Ah mercì Arindelle and bonne chance a vous ...  ;)

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 08:09:55 am »

Hello Arindelle, any good suggestion for me ...?  ;D

Arindelle

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:10 am »

sorry Giorgio ... I really thought I posted something  :o must have just previewed it.

OK, I have no idea how this worked before using JRiver installed n a NAS.  MC is made to work off of a PC that is used as the media server; your NAS is just a place to store your media. Perhaps, because this particular NAS runs Windows server and not Linux, maybe someone partitioned the system disk to also boot a standard  windows installation. I sort of doubt that you did this though  ;) I know  JRiver is not (yet at least) designed to do this

In my opionion, what you should be doing is having one PC with MC installed also running media server - this must be running even if you are controlling playback via client PCs or tablettes etc. First you must make sure all of your audio devices are visible in windows control panel sound) - your DS should show up here. THEN we can start from 0 and re-configure your system.  :)

My misunderstanding is that you had already done that. this however will never work (your screen shot reposted) as there are NO audio devices seen by windows!

My conclusion is that someone else configured this for you and that you were running directly from the sever using the Kinsky as a renderer/controler. WHat you want is to use JRiver as the controller and server and  either use the LINN as a DLNA renderer or JRiver as a renderer by using just the DAC of the linn and not the network player parts of it (this may not be possible or desirable because you have that Sekrit which might need the DS to function networked).

If you are willing to keep a PC on during playback as a media server, I can post basic screen shots to help you provided that I see the devices you have available in Windows.  (like my screens shots that I posted above http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php? )topic=91374.msg630293#msg630293)

IF you had this running from the server directly the only way I have heard of doing this is mounting the server Core only mode -- No interface (GUI) http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81175.0 here and  also on the computer audiophile forum  http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/windows-server-2012-a-16698/

If you want to try the latter I do not have any idea how to do this :) MC does not support this, but if it works great.

If you want to install JRiver normally, then like I said, need you to work from a PC in order to help.

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 09:14:28 pm »

Hello Arindelle, you are right in fact Assetnas (I found by my self) is a real pc running with Windows.
So it works like a regular pc, don't worry if you please post me details for the best settings (audio and others) I'm we can do a great job.
What I don't understand is how it can work with no audio devices, but it works, and Kinsky and Konfig are on the other pc, I tell you this for sure.

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 03:05:53 am »

Hello Arindelle, you are my only salvation please send me your precious suggestions ... 😉
Mercyyyy

Arindelle

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 01:07:34 pm »

Hi ok I'm back sorry for the wait

As I said in my PM I really thought you had a digital input on your Linn -- wrong! so we can't use JRiver as a Renderer  :-[

I'm not at all sure how you have your Network Setup, but this is probably how you should do this - using JRiver as a media server and controller (or an iPad or another client as a controller- the Linn would be the renderer. sort of like this ....

Taken from this guide at Computer Audio

This is what I would recommend at first to try
Make sure your NAS and Linn DS are connected to the network (NAS to switch; DS to switch preferred) Launch your Linn Konfig software to insure that the DS is seen by the network http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Konfig_Manual#Ethernet_controlled_Linn_Pre-Amplifier_.28Akurate_Kontrol.2F1.29
Start up your Linn software. Disabling Kinsky might help. Look at your settings in Konfig (just guessing) so the DS does not behave as a media server

Configure JRiver as the media server, first on a PC of some kind, and connect it to your network (via a switch preferred). Options=>Media Network as shown – first try with Authentification (needs an internet connection)

Click to add DLNA – the wizard box will open – choose add and if we are lucky you will choose your Linn. If not try Generic DLNA (and if this does not work try 24 bit Audiophile DAC).  At first use the options as in the photo (might want to change these later for sound quality):  Note: once we get this running, you can check the volume leveling as this was your original question. You will not be able to use DSP studio in this setup unfortunately.

Confirm and leave options. In the tree under playing now you should see the Linn (or whatever you named it) listed. 

Select it. Choose some music and play. Do you have sound? On the Linn, I believe it shows the playback sample rate. Is it the same as you are playing? If you have any, try a higher resolution track or an Mp3, does the Linn show that it is playing the same sample rate?

If you don’t have sound, you probably should try changing the DLNA setting (like from generic to audiophile dac and/or the audio format and mode. If you have sound but it is not good I would first try messing with these settings too. As the Linn is the renderer however, the important thing to get to is to insure what JRiver is sending to the Linn and the Linn playback is the original sample rate. The DS output settings (Konfig again?) is what would have to be tweaked not JRiver.

As I have no true DLNA devices, I'm not positive this is the best way to do this. My suggestions sound logical (to me at least), but I’m going to ask for someone who knows networks and DLNA to review this. Concerning the Sekrit, that’s beyond me.

Bear in mind what I have read on the net and Linn forums (old posts) are contradictory. I have heard you need Catwalk and JRiver to have gapless playback, and I have also read that this is no longer the case. As Catwalk hasn’t been updated in a while, I'm not so sure what to tell you. http://getcatwalk.net.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ the last I heard it worked with version 18, but has not been updated since the time of JRiver ver17.

Hope this at least helps getting you started :) And anyone that can help confirm my suggestions or recommend a better set-up, please do!

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 03:42:47 am »

Hello Arindelle,

ok just before reading your email, I just post some more pictures of my hardware, they might help better understand my system .... perhaps  ;D

Also ... I have Windows home server 2011 on the assetnas as well on my pc, and I use for refresh all my music tracks ...

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2014, 03:43:37 am »

Assetnas

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 03:44:31 am »

Other hardware

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 03:45:25 am »

Also

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 03:46:14 am »

WHS11

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »

Hello Arindelle,

good news !!!

I did what you said and started with jriver with another pc, and I could listen the audio properly ....

So I went again on my Assetnas I did same things and now the quality of sound is the same as from Kinsky ... exactly the same ...

Also on my Majik I usually had two different zone to select, when I used the kinsky I had to select Akurate Ds and when I used JRiver I had to select another zone ... now I don't need anymore !!! Only one zone Akurate Ds that's it.

I don't know what make it works now, as you have found there is a strange configuration in my case ....

Any way excellent I can say !!!!! I'm very happy.

:D :D :D

I don't know if you still able to solve last little problem remaining, after that I think I will forget how to use kinsky eh eh

Actually all my files have replaygain on ID-Tag and with Kinsky I can listen all my music at same volume, what can you suggest me to do with JRiver to obtain same result ? With Replaygain or other tools, no problem, just need that my quality audio still remain the same and that I don't normalize without altering original file.

Wait for your help ... thank youuu

p.s. I still have no finish my work, I just found I was using the Jriver18 instead of 20 so I have to set same way the JR20 .... sigh

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 12:40:06 pm »

Hello Arindelle,

with JRiver 18 I selected Wasapi and I could also set limit 50 to volume.
With JRiver 20 cannot choose Wasapi and cannot control the volume, my daughters could explode my speakers.

What is the problem ....  ?

I post you some print screen

Arindelle

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 01:59:08 pm »

well it looks finally we are getting lucky  ;D

I don't know if you still able to solve last little problem remaining, after that I think I will forget how to use kinsky eh eh

Actually all my files have replaygain on ID-Tag and with Kinsky I can listen all my music at same volume, what can you suggest me to do with JRiver to obtain same result ? With Replaygain or other tools, no problem, just need that my quality audio still remain the same and that I don't normalize without altering original file.

thats not a problem! now you just check volume leveling in advanced options in DLNA. Not sure but I don't think you want this on all of the time unless you play playlists only (Verdi would not appreciate replay gain ;) ). Just thinking, can't verifiy it myself but maybe you can create a duplicate DLNA zone (their is an "associate" option too right clicking on the zones - not sure how this works to be honest). One DLNA zone with volume leveling on and one with it off .. not sure though.  you'll have to find someone with DLNA players here to see what they do. But it might be worth trying yourself. Otherwise, not the end of the world,  you will just have to manually uncheck/check this =>

Bear in mind that there have been significant improvements since version 19 in volume measurements, much superior to basic replay gain. You should reanalyze all your files (if you have a lot of hard drives, count on it taking a whole weekend^^)

with JRiver 18 I selected Wasapi and I could also set limit 50 to volume.
With JRiver 20 cannot choose Wasapi and cannot control the volume, my daughters could explode my speakers.

What is the problem ....

As I told you before, somehow (and I'd like to know how by the way) you had JRiver installed on a server .. this is not supposed to work - but it did (my theory is because it is a Windows server not Linux), but you had only one choice for sound "Direct Sound" which of course sounds like crap. You were though using JRiver, as a renderer; so you had complete control of the various playback/DSP options that you can get out of it.

Now if you had a DSM and not just a DS like I thought at the beginning, personally I'd  have just used JRiver as the server/renderer and the LINN basically as a glorified DAC. Now you are using the DS like it was meant to be used, as a renderer. SO the final playback stuff like volume has to be controlled by your LINN or your amps of course ..... OR you can control it at system start-up within JRiver which is not as flexible as doing ti by zone, but it should work to protect you from ragazzi attacks :)
this is what you can do, set startup at whatever suits .... if they are 17 put it at 35% if they are 12 put it at 75% :)

Let me know if this works, K?

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 04:08:50 pm »

Hello Arindelle, we are doing well, even if there is some mistery ....

Just, sorry, if both JRiver 18 and JRiver 20 are on the assetnas, I don't understand why I cannot configure JRiver 20 as I have the JRiver 18, with wasapi and all the audio setup configurable.

?

For me this is better because as you said the playback stuff like volume is controlled directly by Linn.

Arindelle

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 07:13:11 am »

Hello Arindelle, we are doing well, even if there is some mistery ....

Just, sorry, if both JRiver 18 and JRiver 20 are on the assetnas, I don't understand why I cannot configure JRiver 20 as I have the JRiver 18, with wasapi and all the audio setup configurable.

?

For me this is better because as you said the playback stuff like volume is controlled directly by Linn.

Ok I'll try to explain it once again  ::), but you must read and understand the link in Computeraudiophile this time

1) JRiver is not meant to be installed on a NAS; you or someone else did that anyway
2) You bought a Network Player for some big money; now you want to use it just as a DAC or maybe also for the internet streaming services - there are no digital inputs, only ethernet
3) I think you are confusing a media server with your NAS - you are trying to make it both which JRiver is not designed to do.
4) The config I gave you is to use JRiver as a controller and media server; the Linn is treated as a DLNA device; Not knowing all about the LINN the DS, it seems to allow you either to use it as a renderer, media server and/or controller (via Kinsky etc) or any combination of the above.
5) for a upnp/DLNA system such as the one referred to above in the CA article, the JRiver install (using JR as media server) is on a PC (or multiple PCs if running clients) -- there is no need, nor is it designed for, to install JRiver  on the NAS - at all

Be that as it may, the Linn is topnotch gear. At the beggining you told me that it sounded bad going through JRiver ... one obvious reason is that the only sound device (you could find at least) was Direct sound. This is probably guaranteeing the bad sound quality as it is coming directly off the motherboard which is exactly what you use JRiver and other fancy gadget to avoid.  However even this doesn't totally make sense because the NAS via ethernet can't be a renderer anyways??!!

Therefore, donc, allora .... The mystery is not why you can't configure 20 like version 18, but rather how  version 18 ran on a server to begin with!

My theory, or blind guess rather, is that because it is a Windows server, JRiver can be installed (I imagine, there is some functionality limitations). Was it running in media server mode or was it running the media server from the illustrate people? Assetupnp from Illustrate is a media server  deigned to run on a NAS, maybe you should ask them about this.

I can see why you would want to have the media server running off of the NAS (lots of people have been asking for this for years, btw). What I would do is I would try to install JRiver20 in exactly the same way you did 18. No reason why you can't - if you did it once, you should be able to do it again. The options are in different places thats all. You will still have crap for sound, and dependance on Kinsky probably ...  Then I would comb this and other forums to find people that knwo Windows server platforms. If there is direct sound, why not other outputs -- maybe its hardwzare related; maybe you need to learn the server software; maybe this has nothing to do with this.

BUT, to have a DS and a SEKRIT its is silly to have spent this investment for bad sound just to have the convenience of listening to music in every room without a second PC running. my humble opinion of course. At least the DLNA setup you will have good sound, most of the functionality of JRiver, and the volume leveling and intial start-up volume protection you requested

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81175.0   
JRiver on Windows 2012 Server Core Edition
« on: June 06, 2013, 05:43:32 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote
Hi,

Can I run JRiver on Windows 2012 Server Core Edition?

It seems I can't install JRiver on it, but if I install it on Windows 2012 Server GUI Edition, and then remove the GUI, I can use it as /MediaServer on Core?
Matt - [my note ==>head dev of JRiver]:  Sorry, but I'm not sure.

You may be the trailblazer for this one.

SO be the trailblazer. You will become the expert on this :)

In the meantime, at least running it in DLNA configuration you will have good quality music, volume leveling, and your system will be protected from volume at startup.

At any rate, this is way beyond my purview and certainly beyond my expertise - please start a new thread if you want help on windows server information or network help as this is now more of a third party software/network hardware topic than about JRiver configuration.

The Legend

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »

Hello Arindelle,

I reach the goal !!

But first of all I want to thank you for your help, without your precious effort I couldn't go nowhere.

I set up the JR20 as JR18 and the only difference remaining to have same volume, at the end was just to set the option direct sound.

So now as you know, I have exactly the same quality of sound as if I use Kinsky.

And also the volume since Yesterday is the same as Kinsky, so I think, again, that we reach the goal !!

For your information, I installed the JRiver on the Nas because I bought the Nas to use replaygain on it, but since I was not happy about the graphic and also about the customization of kinsky, somebody in a forum wrote to me something like "the best software, but you have to study it a little bit, is JRiver" and so I installed it on my Nas.

I'm so happy about it, same quality of sound, I couldn't believe when I reach this result.

And still I have possibility to customize the graphic interface as well as the way to browse the music in any way.

And quality of cover stored is excellent and so on ..... and so on.

I agree, and now I can say is the best !

Mercy again Arindelle  ;) ;) ;)

p.s. now I go to listen music, probably you will see some messages of mine for customization, or volume leveling but this is another story much easier than the last one ..... ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up