INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OTA Recordings dropping frames?  (Read 2248 times)

DHF

• Junior Woodchuck
OTA Recordings dropping frames?
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:51:46 am »

I am attempting to cut the cord using J River and a Hauppauge WINTV 2255 card.  I have an i3 HTPC and am using the onboard graphics.

Hard drive for recording is local to the computer.

Everything is functional - recording shows and the like.  However, on recorded shows - fast pans on the screen - the action appears kind of choppy.  Not pixelated at all - just a bit choppy.  Like I am dropping frames.

this is most evident on SD recordings.  Note that I am upscaling - I think in the PC - to 1080P for output to the projector.

I don't know if this is enough info to find the problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: OTA Recordings dropping frames?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:05:02 am »

Did you try both Red October Standard and HQ in video settings?

Hardware acceleration? 

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:55:40 am »

Look under Tools > Options > Television > Display and see if "Crop edges to remove visual noise at the edge of broadcasts" is checked. If it is, you might try unchecking it. Crop the edges may be necessary depending on content, but can cause more work when scaling to 1080p.

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:06 pm »

I'm guessing that if frames are being dropped it is in the upscaled playback.  Definitely check if RO HQ is being used with additional processing.  You might just be overtaxing your playback machine. 

I found the HD OTA recordings play back smooth as silk.

DHF

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 06:19:34 pm »

I am doing Red October standard - not HQ.   I do have crop the edges enabled.  I tried checking hardware acceleration and not - that did not change anything. 

Not knowing diddly squat about what parts of the computer do what - I will ask a perhaps dumb question.   My graphics are Intel HD 3000  - on board.  Seemed to play movies and everything fine with no issues.  So - if I were to add a video card - does the card take a load off of the CPU when recording?  I know it would help with playback.  A friend recommends the 750 TI video card with 2 GB Ram.

It's strange, because I have never seen this phenomenon before.   No pixelation.  No jaggedness.  Just unnatural motion - like missing frames. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:36:14 pm »

A good video card won't help with recording, only with playback.

Try turning off any processing you're doing to see if you can get good playback at all.

Play the same sequence repeatedly to see if the problem is in the same place or not.  Try playing the files on another PC.  Just to determine whether the problem is in recording or playback.

DHF

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:57:49 am »

Thanks, Jim I will do that over the weekend and report back.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »

This seems to be a video playback issue.

Upscaling from SD to 1080 can be taxing on the system.  There may be some setting which would make it work better, or else the 3000 may be insufficient.

I would recommend either getting Hendrik to look at the thread, or allowing it to move to the MC20 Forum where he would see it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 12:47:47 pm »

It isn't clear yet what it is.

DHF

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »

Went through testing as recommended.  Played well on other machines.  Both live and recorded shows had the dropping of frames.

So I flip on the menu display on my projector and see that it is playing at 1080P 24 fps.  DOH!

When I first got the HTPC, I remember working on drivers and all to get movies to work at 24 fps. 

Having never played a tv broadcast on the machine - I never noticed before.

All is well.

boozemun

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 09:43:52 am »

I had the same problem as well as a band at the top that appeared when changing scenes then I figured out my GTX 280 was not set to 60 MHz for my Sony TV that cleared it up. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up