INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping with MC 20 for Mac  (Read 3603 times)

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
Ripping with MC 20 for Mac
« on: September 12, 2014, 07:54:12 am »

Good Morning! I have downloaded and installed MC 20 and reloaded my complete library. Everything went smoothly with no problems at all. However, as indicated in an earlier post, I am getting a popup when clicking on the ripping button. The popup states that ripping is currently unavailable. Someone did send a reply yesterday but I may be confused about it. Is ripping currently available or is that a feature for a future build. I do have an Apple cd drive attached to the iMac, not in Party Mode (a very cool and useful feature), and am using a local external drive attached directly to an iMac Thunderbolt port. Thanks in advance, Richard

keithw

• Recent member
Re: Ripping with MC 20 for Mac
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 09:55:23 am »

Good Morning! I have downloaded and installed MC 20 and reloaded my complete library. Everything went smoothly with no problems at all. However, as indicated in an earlier post, I am getting a popup when clicking on the ripping button. The popup states that ripping is currently unavailable. Someone did send a reply yesterday but I may be confused about it. Is ripping currently available or is that a feature for a future build. I do have an Apple cd drive attached to the iMac, not in Party Mode (a very cool and useful feature), and am using a local external drive attached directly to an iMac Thunderbolt port. Thanks in advance, Richard

I have had some problems as well.  When I insert a disc to rip, it is recognised by MC 20, and the track names are properly identified.  When I hit the 'rip' button the system creates a folder using the syntax established in rip preferences.  The first track is created properly and placed in the folder, but MC 20 then says 'open drive failed. drive is not opened. rip failed' and stops.

Any advice?  I am using an external drive as the destination, connected via a firewire cable.

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:43 pm »

This is a follow up to my earlier post.

1. Gave up on trying to use the apple super drive.
2. Tried to use several other external CD/DVD drives which I use everyday with MC 18 for Windows.
    a. OSX sees these drives once a CD is inserted.
    b. A list of tracks is shown, however a pop up indicates tracks need to be selected. All tracks have a check next to them.
    c. Cancel pop up window and then click on the rip button. Nothing happens. No progress meter, etc.. I was able to change the tagging
       information in the edit window. Still says no tracks selected.
    d. I have ripped terabytes of CD's on MC for Windows with no problems. The interface on the Mac seems identical so maybe I'm missing
       something that is different with a Mac. I have never used the Mac for ripping before. I did check online in the Apple forums to see if I'm making a mistake somewhere but that does not seem to be the case, here.

Looking forward to any ideas you might have. Thanks for all your hard work and excellent software,  Richard

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 12:58:19 pm »

Are you using the Action Window in MC?  It's in the lower left corner.

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:30:40 pm »

Hello Jim and thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am using the action window in the lower left corner. The process on the Mac seems to be identical to that followed on the windows version of MC. I did double check that all the correct boxes and things were checked in OSX as well based on an Apple forum wiki.

I thought perhaps the super drive was at fault but I tried several other external drives from Sony and Asus that I use everyday on my Windows machine as I continue ripping files to MC 18 for use on the Mac. Never had a problem with any of those. Was there a particular drive used by JRiver developers as the ripping function was being developed?

There was something in one of the Apple forums that indicated the super drive didn't work well with all Mac's. So a list was specified as to which Mac's worked and didn't work with the super drive. My iMac is listed as one that did work with the drive. Apparently the issue has to do with the Mac's ability to provide enough power to the usb buss on which the drive was installed.

I am very happy with version 20.014 (hope I got the version number right). It was a breeze to install and I had no problems with installing the license and so forth. I understand that both versions of MC are constantly being tweaked and refined over time as new features come online. I'm not disappointed in this little hiccup as I feel someone out there will eventually come up with a solution for my problem.

Thanks in advance, Richard

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:07:32 am »

Though rip functions fine with the new 20, I'm at loss for how this is accomplished. Is it back compatible with ITunes such that the files appear there and consequently stored as directed by Tunes ? Would "rip" be a candidate for a "Stickies" ?

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 11:04:32 am »

just tried ripping my 1st CD with MC 20:
perfect...
no issues whatsoever!
Mavericks 10.9.4
macbook pro
ripped as m4a to an external WD usb drive

Update: all further ripping attempts failed:
Open drive failed. Drive is not opened. Rip failed.

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:55:35 pm »

just tried ripping my 1st CD with MC 20:
perfect...
no issues whatsoever!
Mavericks 10.9.4
macbook pro
ripped as m4a to an external WD usb drive

How did you direct it to your HDrive ? I can't tell if the rip is slaved thru ITunes or not ?

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 04:58:00 am »

How did you direct it to your HDrive ? I can't tell if the rip is slaved thru ITunes or not ?

Rip Disc Action Window/Options/File Location/Audio (click 1st line)

i don't think ANYTHING is 'slaved' through itunes.

BUT...i'm now getting the same issue others have
even though MC 20 fetches the correct titles online i get an alert:
'Open drive failed. Drive is not open. Rip failed.'

tried again with a diff CD…it stopped after ripping the 1st title.

'playing' titles (without ripping) works only with a few songs....most don't.

it’s NOT working

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 08:20:37 am »

What version of OSX?

tasar

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 09:00:38 am »

Rip Disc Action Window/Options/File Location/Audio (click 1st line)

i don't think ANYTHING is 'slaved' through itunes.

BUT...i'm now getting the same issue others have
even though MC 20 fetches the correct titles online i get an alert:
'Open drive failed. Drive is not open. Rip failed.'

tried again with a diff CD…it stopped after ripping the 1st title.

'playing' titles (without ripping) works only with a few songs....most don't.

it’s NOT working

Thank you bMinor..... I wasn't sure how the rip actually is executed, it would be very nice if the guys would explain. I for one , would like to keep 2 libraries ie another over in Tunes. I suppose you could export or direct some way as JR import certainly worked in reverse of what I'm proposing ?

bMinor

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 11:10:51 am »

mvilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 02:44:49 pm »

Same problem in Mountain Lion, using AIFF as encoder and NAS as destination: only 1st track ripped
Let me know if you need more info

Massimo
Pages: [1]   Go Up