INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod Touch 5th Generation Supported? Having problems connecting  (Read 2790 times)

acmeseed

• Recent member
iPod Touch 5th Generation Supported? Having problems connecting
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:14:32 am »

Hello,

Is the iPod Touch 5th generation supported in MC 20? If so, do I need iTunes installed for it to be recognized?

I recently purchased MC 20, I cannot get it to recognize my iPod. I tried in 2 computer so far, these computers have Winamp and Mediamonkey installed and both recognized the iPod.

I will greatly appreciate your response. I am having a blast using MC; WinAmp and MM are done!

Mike.

acmeseed

• Recent member
Re: iPod Touch 5th Generation Supported? Having problems connecting
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:13:52 pm »

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 07:58:53 am »

iOS devices are not supported by MC.  They are encrypted and locked to iTunes by Apple, and they've actually legally pursued commercial companies that have broken the encryption in the past (not to mention that it is a never-ending cat-and-mouse game where the cat is a 600 ton Gorilla with billions of dollars with which to smash you).

MC supported the very first iPhone and the early iPod Touch firmware (v1x), but Apple continually changed the firmware to intentionally block this kind of use.  They want you to use iTunes to sync music to your phone.  Period.

This, of course, only applies if you use the built-in music player, however.  JRiver does have a very nice app in the App Store called JRemote that you can use to both remote-control your copy of MC over the network, and stream from your copy of MC to your device.  In the future, they may add local caching so that it can play even when the device (or server) is offline, though it does not have this functionality at this time.

Still, though, if you typically have a network connection where you use your device, JRemote works great.  I very rarely have to pull out Music.app and don't typically have much synced to my phone anymore.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

acmeseed

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:34 am »

Thank you so much for your response Glynor.

Good point about using the remote app (assume this is Gizmo?). My need for the iPod would always be at home within reach of wireless, it will actually be great not to even have to download the music into it; I do that weekly to practice songs and it is a task to delete the old ones and put in the new ones.

Thanks again.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:58:09 am »

JRemote. It's in the App Store.

Gizmo is the Android one, though I think they're working on a JRemote for Android as well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 12:00:11 pm »

There is a way, on Windows, to sync iTunes to MC.  I use this to sync a randomly changing shuffle of music to my phones.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51734.0

saiyan

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 01:35:47 pm »

iOS devices are not supported by MC.  They are encrypted and locked to iTunes by Apple, and they've actually legally pursued commercial companies that have broken the encryption in the past (not to mention that it is a never-ending cat-and-mouse game where the cat is a 600 ton Gorilla with billions of dollars with which to smash you).

I'm disappointed that MC18/19 cannot sync music to recent iOS devices.

According to that Wiki article: "Apple has chosen to conceal their database on the Touch and iPhone, so the iPhone, Touch, and newer iPods may not be supported".

But how do you guys explain that 3rd party utilities such as iMazing, iExplorer, AnyTrans and so on, allow you to import M4A/MP3 files onto iPhones?

Perhaps JRiver should partner with the developer with one of those 3rd party utilities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up