INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to 5.2 ? (using different frequencies on 2 subs)  (Read 1480 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
How to 5.2 ? (using different frequencies on 2 subs)
« on: September 19, 2014, 12:16:19 am »

Hi, I would really appreciate some help.  Not sure where to start...

I want to use a second sub, that I already own.  I am currently running 5.1 on an 8 channel DAC, a Steinberg UR824 (8 ASIO channels starting at offset 10).
- S1, the current sub, is your standard .1 channel active sub (sent LFE+lowpass mix of other channels below 40Hz)
- S2 would be LFE only, lowpass at 100Hz.  S2 is a passive 18" sub driven from bridged amp channels.

The problem is I cannot figure out how to use 7.1, 10, 12 or more channels for my immediate 5.2 application. 

In general, how do you specify to JRSS that an output channel X is a mix from Y and Z source channels, potentially with high and low pass applied ?

In a more general form, how do you specify biamping and tri-amping (JR as active crossover) allowing 3 channels to FL, 3 to FR, and one each to C,S,SL,SR,RL, RR.

Cheers,

'nose

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How to 5.2 ? (using different frequencies on 2 subs)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:11:51 am »

You need to do the extended handling in Parametric Equalizer.  It has a bunch of tools to help with the task at hand.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: How to 5.2 ? (using different frequencies on 2 subs)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:39:23 am »

Hi, I would really appreciate some help.  Not sure where to start...

I want to use a second sub, that I already own.  I am currently running 5.1 on an 8 channel DAC, a Steinberg UR824 (8 ASIO channels starting at offset 10).
- S1, the current sub, is your standard .1 channel active sub (sent LFE+lowpass mix of other channels below 40Hz)
- S2 would be LFE only, lowpass at 100Hz.  S2 is a passive 18" sub driven from bridged amp channels.

The problem is I cannot figure out how to use 7.1, 10, 12 or more channels for my immediate 5.2 application.  

In general, how do you specify to JRSS that an output channel X is a mix from Y and Z source channels, potentially with high and low pass applied ?

In a more general form, how do you specify biamping and tri-amping (JR as active crossover) allowing 3 channels to FL, 3 to FR, and one each to C,S,SL,SR,RL, RR.

Cheers,

'nose

You need to do the work manually in parametric equalizer for the most part, but you need to make some changes in other DSP modules too. The one change you need to make in output format is that you need to change your output channels to "5.1 in a 7.1 container."  That tells JRiver that you need 8 channels of output to work with, but that the JRSS mixing target is still 5.1 (channels seven and eight will be blank to start out).  Then you need to go into parametric equalizer and use it to create your second sub channel.  

Here's how I would do what you're trying to achieve (make sure the modules are in the order described below, order is important):

1) output format: 5.1 in a 7.1 container, JRSS mixing enabled, subwoofer set to silent
2) parametric equalizer: copy the LFE channel to one of the unused channels (RR or RL), then apply lowpass filter at 100Hz
3) room correction: setup bass management to redirect bass below 40Hz to the first sub (which should still be on the Sub channel)

That should give you LFE only for the second sub, and everthing below 40Hz rerouted to the first sub.  You may need to fiddle with the channel routing for your surrounds because the channel order is different in 7.1 than in 5.1 (in 5.1, channels five and six are SL and SR, in 7.1, channels five and six are RL and RR, while seven and eight are SL and SR), but that's easy to fix either by using "order channels" in PEQ or manually swapping cables.  Optionally, if you want finer grained control, you can do the bass management for the first sub in parametric equalizer instead of in Room Correction, but that's a little more complicated.  Ask if you're curious.

To your second question, Generally the way to biamp and triamp is to specify more channels than you need in output format and manually do the mix.  For example, I have biamped mains with a sub that I use for stereo playback.  I set my mixing target as either "stereo in a 5.1 channel container" or as "2.1" (the 2.1 output channel setting is a special case; it's really 2.1 in a 5.1 container because almost no hardware supports three channel output).  In either case, that gives me extra channels to work with.  Then in PEQ, I copy Left to Surround Left, Right to Surround Right, and apply highpasses to L and R, and lowpasses to SL and SR creating my HF and LF stage.   I then handle all the sub routing manually.  

If you wanted to, say, have bi-amped mains in a 5.1 system, you'd need to choose "5.1 in a 7.1 container" and do the bi-amping in PEQ; if you wanted tri-amped mains in a 7.1 system, you'd need to choose 12 channel output (all channel settings above 7.1 use a 7.1 mixing target in JRSS to my knowledge). If you have more bi-amping or tri-amping questions, I can provide a lot more detail, but I'd suggest you open a new thread on that subject.
Pages: [1]   Go Up