INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library back up question  (Read 1876 times)

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
Library back up question
« on: September 24, 2014, 12:14:03 pm »

Hi --- When I use the "Back up library" feature, does that also save cover art? I'm guessing the cover art automatically goes into the folder I set up for it in MC when I add the art initially. But I'm wondering if "library back up" also saves it in the zip file I see every time I use the function. Thanks. -- David

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library back up question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 12:58:11 pm »

No, the backup is the library database, nothing else.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 01:12:07 pm »

It also includes settings, but no cover art or media files.

DavidZ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 01:51:15 pm »

Great, thanks for the info. I've spent much time over the past few months tagging my files, including clipping cover art icons off of the net. I'll make sure the cover art folder is backed up in at least 2 places.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 04:16:34 pm »

Great, thanks for the info. I've spent much time over the past few months tagging my files, including clipping cover art icons off of the net. I'll make sure the cover art folder is backed up in at least 2 places.

What i do is include the jpg of cover art in the folder for that particular album.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 03:42:21 am »

What i do is include the jpg of cover art in the folder for that particular album.

Yes +1 recommended.

If you want to change to this and you have already amassed a lot of there is a painless way to do so.

Note if you have not embedded the art in the file you should do this first, but most rippers do this automatically ....

- change your options to folder.jpg rule for audio (File Locations=>Cover Art; choose audio mode:In the same folder as file (as folder.jpg) and choose to store art in file -- this will save your art to folder.jpg the album folder (assuming you have a standard AlbumArtist/Album/Tracks.* arborescence) and will also give you the ability to export the file form the tag just in case

- select all tracks [NOTE: always test with a few albums when manipulating your entire library] right click ==>COVEER ART==> SAVE COVER ART TO EXT LOCATION SPECIFIED IN OPTIONS. Provided you changed your

Also recommended is to make sure all important tags are written to the file.  In That way you can use your library backups to rebuild your file tags OR your data backups (the most important of course) to rebuild the library tags depending on the "disaster scenario".

Also highly recommended to not only have a local backup of the library to a different drive, but an external archive backup. Too many horror stories of people blowing their one and only backup during a restore -- just saying  :)
BTW added benefit, to not storing images in %appdata%, is if you have a large library and reasonably sized cover art you are freeing up your SSD drive
Pages: [1]   Go Up