INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Navagation  (Read 3283 times)

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
Theater View Navagation
« on: September 27, 2014, 12:02:17 pm »

In Theater View navigating to the right if you go too far it goes down one level, but if you hit the left arrow it takes you to the top roller. Then I have to scroll down all over. Can we make it work like going right? So it would go back up one level?
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theater View Navagation
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 12:45:11 pm »

Sorry but I like the way it works now.
If you were to scroll left and go up only one line at a time, it would be a pain to get to the top roller/menu. Unless there was a "home/top menu" button on the remote.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:57:32 pm »

I don't understand. MC remembers where you were in Theater View's navigation as you go backwards with the Left Arrow key:

https://vimeo.com/107342160

It jumps up to the Top Roller bar with the first press of Left Arrow.  But the second press takes you "back up a level" and does remember where you were.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

connersw

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 01:20:51 pm »

It jumps up to the Top Roller bar with the first press of Left Arrow.  But the second press takes you "back up a level" and does remember where you were.

He doesn't mean going back an Items To Show level; he means going up one row.

It takes some getting used to at first (it used to bother me as well); however, once you get used to it, it is not a problem, and it is actually a benefit.  Otherwise, how would you propose getting back to the Roller Bar?  The only alternative would be to scroll all the way back up, which could be incredibly time consuming.  You just have to learn to use the up arrow instead of continuing to go left. 

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »

If I go to the last thumbnail in a row and hit right on the remote it will take you to the first thumbnail on the next row. Now if I hit left on remote it will take me to the top roller not up where I was.

You can always hit back and enter to be on top roller. A lot easier than scrolling down because it jumps to top.
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »

Page Up and Page Down work.  So do Channel Up and Channel Down.  They do a page at a time.

If you have a numeric key pad, the letters on it will also jump to the corresponding position.

csimon

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 05:47:12 pm »

In Theater View navigating to the right if you go too far it goes down one level, but if you hit the left arrow it takes you to the top roller. Then I have to scroll down all over. Can we make it work like going right? So it would go back up one level?

I think I made a similar observation here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84749.msg578755#msg578755.

connersw

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 07:50:18 am »

You can always hit back and enter to be on top roller. A lot easier than scrolling down because it jumps to top.

I'm not sure what you mean by back and enter to be on the top roller; however, csimon's post reminded me that you don't have to scroll down to get back when it jumps.  Just hit enter twice and it will take you back down to where you were on the left hand side. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 10:50:04 am »

He doesn't mean going back an Items To Show level; he means going up one row.

It takes some getting used to at first (it used to bother me as well); however, once you get used to it, it is not a problem, and it is actually a benefit.  Otherwise, how would you propose getting back to the Roller Bar?  The only alternative would be to scroll all the way back up, which could be incredibly time consuming.  You just have to learn to use the up arrow instead of continuing to go left.  

I did misunderstand, primarily because I only use Thumbnail Style Lists in Theater View in very limited circumstances (when there is only ever a row or two of possible items, generally).

With Line-up style lists (as shown in my screen capture above), by the way, the navigation is very natural and easy, and I think it looks nice and is easier to read.  Might want to consider switching to it anyway.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 11:32:27 am »

however, csimon's post reminded me that you don't have to scroll down to get back when it jumps.  Just hit enter twice and it will take you back down to where you were on the left hand side. 

It isn't enter, it is down-arrow, but yes.

https://vimeo.com/107395565

connersw

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 03:38:11 pm »

Didn't realize down arrow did it too (thought it went back to scrolling), but hitting Enter twice works as well.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 04:34:47 pm »

Didn't realize down arrow did it too (thought it went back to scrolling), but hitting Enter twice works as well.

So it does.  Didn't realize that.  So you have two choices.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 10:39:47 am »

Sorry but I like the way it works now.
If you were to scroll left and go up only one line at a time, it would be a pain to get to the top roller/menu. Unless there was a "home/top menu" button on the remote.

I hate the way it works now.  On my big screen upstairs, I have 9 columns of thumbnails when browsing movies/shows.  In every other similar UI in the house (AppleTV, Netflix, etc.), scrolling left from the left side of the screen will wrap you around to the right side of the screen, so everything is just a couple of 'move' presses away instead of up to 8 once you are on the row you want.  It is non-intuitive and different than pretty much everything else.  The 'back/exit' key should take you to the home row (that is the way the other UI's work), not the left arrow.  It is one of those UI design decisions that bothers me every time I sit down in theater view mode.

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 10:46:57 am »

Yes, it's a very unusual design choice.

I can see some reasons for doing it this way, but I don't know of any other interface/device where you can wrap-around one way, but not the other.

Since I haven't been using Theater View much until recently, it catches me out every time I use it.

It does seem like it avoids the issue of having to press back twice as often to go back through nested views, but I'm not sure if it justifies the unexpected behavior.

csimon

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 10:57:11 am »

I'd like to see the "rollers" taken out of the navigation. I don't think they look very pretty anyway, the horizontal line can easily fill up, and zone names over a certain number of characters are truncated, and it's very difficult to know where a particular item is - and the playback controls are not easy to use.

The up, down, left, right, page up/down keys etc (on keyboards on remote controls) should operate the cursor in the main media item browser and behave according to accepted and common behaviour.  On hitting a designated button (Menu?), what we currently know as the Rollers would maically pop up as an overlaid, attractive, hierarchical menu (similar to, but bigger than, a Windows right-click context menu) that is navigated with the arrow keys etc. Pressing the menu or exit button returns to the item browser or, on a touch screen, simply tapping out of the menu area dismisses it.

Access to zones, playing now, display view and playback controls need to be made a lot easier.

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 11:06:20 am »

Yes, it seems that every time a new feature gets added to Theater View it gets thrown into the rollers at the top, and it's very cluttered now. I can't think of the last time I used most of those options.

If we're getting into how Theater View works, I wonder if that should be split off into its own topic though, as this one seems specific to the fact that the left arrow takes you to the rollers at the top rather than wrapping around to the previous line of items.
Pages: [1]   Go Up