INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgraded MC17 to MC 20, but installed not upgraded, now unable to remove MC17  (Read 9948 times)

townsma

• Recent member

Because of issue streaming mkv files using DLNA I upgraded my MC from 17 to 20, thinking surely any problem would be fixed by now, wrong....

But to make matters worse, it did not upgrade my MC17 installation, it install my MC 20 by the side of it.  So I tried to uninstall MC17, it won't uninstall.  I get a message saying JRMEdiaUninstall.dll cannot run.

So I tried to uninstall MC20, that uninstalled.  So I tried MC17 again, no luck, still can't get rid of it.

So at this point, I can't stream my mkv files via DLNA, in either version, and no one seems to want to answer that post, now I have software on my computer I can't uninstall.

All in all I am pretty hacked off, and am seriously considering getting a refund and binning the damned thing.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Do you still have a recent good backup of your MC17 database? Good.

Install MC20 again. Restore the backup to it. Make sure everything is working. Once you are SURE.

Start MC17 again. Windows will tell you MC17 wants to make changes to your computer. Let it. Close MC17. Uninstall MC17. It should uninstall.

Start MC20. Windows will tell you MC20 wants to make changes to your computer. Let it. Use it.

I may not have got all that exactly right, but close enough. :D You need to run MC17 before you try to uninstall it.

EDIT:
BTW, restoring the backup will give you your database back, but I think for a MC17 to MC20 upgrade you will need to manually enter all your preferred settings into MC20. The backup in MC17 doesn't include settings I understand. So, check your settings in MC20 before you uninstall MC17, and update them based on your MC17 settings if necessary.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You might also fix the DLNA problem by setting conversion in the Media Network options for DLNA Servers.

Arindelle

One of the reasons you are probably having issues is that you are jumping from 17 to 20. There have been major changes ... especially in DLNA handling and zones; also dsp and audio analysis.

If the restore library trick won't work, this will.  You will have to reconfigure your DLNA (this is a good thing by the way). I don't remember if zones even existed like they do now in 17 -- might have to redo those too.

1) go back to make sure version 17 is working and is on the last version (if not reinstall); make sure version 20 media server is not be loaded automatically in windows!

2) download last version of version 18; download last version of version 19;

3) install 18 .. this should be seemless unless you have partially uninstalled 17 - if that is the case reinstall). Make a backup of the library

4) install 19 from 18; then 19 from 20 always make a library backup bewteen version upgades

either reconfigure 19 before the 20 install or do your re-configuring  in the 20 -- each audio setting is now a zone; each dlna device is now treated sort of like a zone - not much difference bewteen 19 and 20 for your video streaming

You views should all be intact; audio (and now video) analysis for sound and dps studio settings will have to be redone.

5) uninstall 17, 18 wait until you are fine with your version 20 before uninstalling 19.

Note: if you have trouble uninstalling old versions reinstall the latest build of that version and repeat uninstall

Be careful if you have MC auto loading; you do not want to have different versions of the media server program running at the same time. I would trun these off in options if you follow this scenario. Turn them back on when 20 is up and running.

Keep calm, it is definitely worth it ... major new stuff since version 17

krmasson

• World Citizen

I am also considering switching from MC17 to MC 20.
Looks not very fun an somewhat time consuming.

Would the following work ?
Backup MC 17 library
Uninstall MC 17
Install MC 20
Restore library from backup ?

Thx in advance

Arindelle

I am also considering switching from MC17 to MC 20.
Looks not very fun an somewhat time consuming.
Well fun maybe not time consuming 5 minutes per PC.

Understand that between 18 and 19 there are major differences; I don't remember 17 frankly - so to avoid issues and not waste time trying to fix things later, I highly recommend what I said earlier. Backing up a version 17 library to version 20 could/will cause issues depending on your set-up. These upgrades are setup to go from one consecutive version to another. Your library metadata might be intact but all your customizations who knows

first download 18,19,20 from the top of each board on this forum (2 minutes? maybe three?)

Would the following work ?
Backup MC 17 library
1 - YES!
Uninstall MC 17
I would not do this
Install MC 20
Restore library from backup ?
NO or ok, rather at your own risk

then...
2- install version 18 - 1 minute
3- install version 19 - 1 minute
4- install version 20 - 1 minute
5- without removing any of your library backups; now uninstall versions in order: 17, then 18. I would recommend leaving 19 on your computer for a bit as 20 is very new, but then again its probably no longer necessary.

PS - More than one version can co-exist on your PCs, don't worry about it. Make sure any shortcuts for old version are removed, and if you are networked, check  that you are not autoloading media server at startup from older versions. Check your audio settings in Options, Audio -- they are now by zone and not where they were in version 17. If you have multiple zones, check them individually.

If you have clients, you could uninstall version 17 first. Make sure version 20 runs well on the PC running media server, restore its backup to a clean install of version 20 on the client. You would have to set the clients audio config up but you would have an identical UI, views and things as the server pc. For the main server install of JRiver though I would do it like I said above -- there might be workarounds but this is easy.

Thx in advance
you are welcome  :D hope this helped

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I would expand this bit just a little, as my version 20 install didn't bring the MC19 database over as well as I would have liked.

then...
Manually backup version 17
2- install version 18 - 1 minute
Restore MC17 backup into MC18
Open MC18 and do a quick check

Manually backup version 18
3- install version 19 - 1 minute
Restore MC18 backup into MC19
Open MC19 and do a quick check

Manually backup version 19
4- install version 20 - 1 minute
Restore MC19 backup into MC20
Open MC20 and do a quick check

I'm not completely sure if it is supposed to be necessary to backup the previous version and restore to the new version, but that worked better for me. Regardless the whole process wouldn't take long.

Oh, and don't forget that to uninstall earlier versions, start them again once first, then uninstall.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Arindelle

I would expand this bit just a little, as my version 20 install didn't bring the MC19 database over as well as I would have liked.
I'm not completely sure if it is supposed to be necessary to backup the previous version and restore to the new version, but that worked better for me. Regardless the whole process wouldn't take long.

it never hurts to do a manual backup before upgrading anything, so why not. However the restores should not be required unless something funky happens. Probably faster to do one than find out what went wrong, I'll give you that :)

Oh, and don't forget that to uninstall earlier versions, start them again once first, then uninstall.
best I've found to do them in order (I don't know why?!) but you can keep them if you wish (just make sure that nothing is running in the background (like turning off media server on start up of windows, autoimport etc. on old versions -- you need the current version of the server running; this happens to me as I always keep the previous version on my PCs for testing.

Also those coming from older version should reanalyze their files.

krmasson

• World Citizen

Worked fine for me, and I did not  had to backup and restore at each step (MC 18/19/20 was launched automatically after installation at each step, and implicitely got the current library settings of the previous version (17/18/19)).

Just made a manual backup of the MC 17 version, in case of, but did not actually used it.

I nevertheless find the process a little heavy (I have 2 computers, one where I rip and tag my music, and a 2nd one, dedicated to playing, both with different settings for views).

Just to improve my knowledge, why are we supposed to launch each old version (17/18/19) before uninstalling it ?

BTW, the BubbleUPnP Android remote app, which was a pure synchronization nightmare with MC17, worked just fine with MC20, with default settings (I do not know exactly which settings came from my library or from the previous versions, and which ones where default). Gapless plays also well.

Just one thing remains to do: pay my license :-)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Lots of people report that the uninstall of a previous version doesn't work unless you first launch that version. I think it depends on such things as whether you ran the server in the previous version or not. But I have seen that a previous version will ask if it can make changes to your system when it is first run after running a later version.

Basically, if it won't uninstall, run it then uninstall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up