INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASUS Xonar Essence Mark 1 with DSD upgrade kit  (Read 23177 times)

oliverg

• Recent member
ASUS Xonar Essence Mark 1 with DSD upgrade kit
« on: October 02, 2014, 01:46:19 am »

Hello all,

I recently purchased an upgrade kit for my Asus Xonar so I could use JRiver DSD encoding.

I've installed the relevant EPROM in the Xonar, adjusted my output format to every type of DSD output available.

The Audio Device is set to Asus Xonar Essence [ASIO] (although I have tried optial and USB WASAPI as well)

I get no sound at all.

As soon as I change the JRiver DSD encoding back to none, everything works.

Are any of the DSD output formats JRiver has compatible with what the ASUS will accept? I realize I can't see DoP or any DoP (DSD over PCM) options so I suspect I may have jumped the gun buying this kit :)

http://www.asus.com/Essence_HiFi_Audio/Essence_One_DSD_Upgrade_Kit/

Thank you in advance

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: ASUS Xonar Essence Mark 1 with DSD upgrade kit
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:19:38 am »

You may need to talk with ASUS about that.  Let them know we will provide a license if necessary and help.

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:59:50 pm »

Hello all,

I recently purchased an upgrade kit for my Asus Xonar so I could use JRiver DSD encoding.

I've installed the relevant EPROM in the Xonar, adjusted my output format to every type of DSD output available.

The Audio Device is set to Asus Xonar Essence [ASIO] (although I have tried optial and USB WASAPI as well)

I get no sound at all.

As soon as I change the JRiver DSD encoding back to none, everything works.

Are any of the DSD output formats JRiver has compatible with what the ASUS will accept? I realize I can't see DoP or any DoP (DSD over PCM) options so I suspect I may have jumped the gun buying this kit :)

http://www.asus.com/Essence_HiFi_Audio/Essence_One_DSD_Upgrade_Kit/

Thank you in advance

Hi there,

I've just upgraded my Xonar Eone to MKII and configured JRiver exactly as instructed by Asus (They are providing downloadable instructions for JRiver and Foobar2000 on their website). JRiver appears to be playing the .dsf files, but no sound from the dac, not a beep. You say that you can't see any DoP over PCM options, you will find these under Tools>Options>Audio>Settings>DSP and Output Formats. Select DSD in DoP format. Please let me know if this works for you, because if it does my dac or the upgrade kit is faulty. I should also mention that I tried Foobar with the same result...

oliverg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 05:03:56 pm »

The instructions ASUS put on their site is specific to setting up JRiver with the ASIO driver that comes with the XONAR software. This was already done. I also made sure I upgraded the driver to the latest version.

Still no sound. I've emailed Asus but have received no reply (thus my attempt to find help here)

EDIT: I found all the options for DSD over PCM (DoP) and tried them  - didn't work - even tried enabling bitstreaming as DSD, then the checkbox of DSD over PCM and combinations of these - no luck

Thanks for the replies so far

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:33:32 pm »

ASUS's live chat online or their phone support is very easy to use.

oliverg

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 12:18:45 am »

Absolutely zero help. First they didn't know the product even existed (IE the upgrade kit) then told me it was a JRiver problem.

:(

I'll keep an eye here in case someone comes up with a solution. Pretty annoyed right now (Not with JRiver)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:12:52 am »

ASUS Xonar Essence Mark 1
By mark 1 do you mean Essence One?

These are the Essence One versions I am aware of:
- Xonar Essence One
- Xonar Essence One Plus Edition
- Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition
- Essence One MKII
- Essence One MKII MUSES Edition

The MKII's have native support for DSD.
The upgrade kit is for Essence One, Essence One Plus, and Essence One MUSES.

Here are a few things you can look into:

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed?
I think it is 1.27.

Also make sure you have the correct and latest driver.
There are different drivers for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

Try using a USB 2 port if you are using USB 3.

If the upgrade part is symmetrical make sure it isn't in backwards.

That' all I can suggest. I have an Essence One but no upgrade kit yet and I have never used DSD.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 02:04:43 am »

Does it play DSD with other players like Foobar?

Maybe with Asus' own software if they have a player?

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 03:43:25 am »

By mark 1 do you mean Essence One?

- Xonar Essence One
- Essence One MKII

The MKII's have native support for DSD.
The upgrade kit is for Essence One, Essence One Plus, and Essence One MUSES.

Here are a few things you can look into:

Make sure you have the latest firmware installed?
I think it is 1.27.

Also make sure you have the correct and latest driver.
There are different drivers for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

Try using a USB 2 port if you are using USB 3.

If the upgrade part is symmetrical make sure it isn't in backwards.

That' all I can suggest. I have an Essence One but no upgrade kit yet and I have never used DSD.

I've got the Muses edition. The Asus utility reports:

Eone MKII USB DAC Driver Version 7.0.12.13
Eone MKII USB DAC F/W Version 1.27
Audio Chip F/W Version 0111

I tried everything I could think of with regards to perhaps conflicting drivers of other sound hardware etc. It won't work with Foobar either, although the files appear to be playing. According to the Asus manual for the Eone MKII only the Bitperfect led is supposed to light up and the upsampling led should be red. This is not happening.

Perhaps the Audio chip firmware needs updating, but so far I haven't found any info on that...

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 03:45:17 am »

Does it play DSD with other players like Foobar?

Maybe with Asus' own software if they have a player?

Foobar doesn't work either and no Asus player I am aware of...

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 03:46:30 am »

Based on that and your previous post, I think you really need Asus support.

Keep pushing, call them if possible, try their VIP forums too.

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 04:27:09 am »

That may be the case in North America, here in the UK the so called phone support directs you to resort to email, which means you can wait forever for a reply or never get one at all.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 08:53:32 am »

It would be good to double check the instructions.  The EPROM may contain new firmware for the device, but there may be a step needed to use the new firmware, not the old.  This is purely a guess on my part.

Please confirm the version of MC that you're using.  20.0.20 is the latest.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 09:11:09 am »

- Xonar Essence One
- Essence One MKII

I've got the Muses edition. The Asus utility reports:

Eone MKII USB DAC Driver Version 7.0.12.13
Eone MKII USB DAC F/W Version 1.27
Audio Chip F/W Version 0111

I think your firmware is up to date.

What version of Windows do yo have?
Your driver is for Windows 7

Do you have 'Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition' or 'Essence One MKII MUSES Edition'?
Either you own the 'Xonar Essence One MUSES Edition' and are using the wrong driver or
you own the 'Essence One MKII MUSES Edition' with native DSD and didn't need the upgrade.

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 09:52:48 am »

I've got the EOne Muses edition which after the upgrade shows up as EOne MKII. I'm running Win7 64bit. According to the instructions that came with the upgrade kit all that's required is to change the eeprom, install the driver and configure JRiver or Foobar. Prior to installing the driver I uninstalled the old one, just in case. I just is not working....

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:53 am »

It would be good to double check the instructions.  The EPROM may contain new firmware for the device, but there may be a step needed to use the new firmware, not the old.  This is purely a guess on my part.

Please confirm the version of MC that you're using.  20.0.20 is the latest.
I'm confident that I followed all instructions to the letter. 20.0.20 is the version I'm using...

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 10:28:26 am »

Again, if nothing is able to play dsd/dsf, then its not an issue with MC perse. There may still be but I would say its impossible to troubleshoot MC peroperly until the device functions properly.

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 10:59:22 am »

Again, if nothing is able to play dsd/dsf, then its not an issue with MC perse. There may still be but I would say its impossible to troubleshoot MC properly until the device functions properly.
I agree. I don't think it's MC (or Foobar for that matter). The question is: Is it a hardware issue or a usb driver problem eg a compatibility issue with the motherboard's usb chip? Since Asus are giving instructions for JRiver and Foobar one has to assume that they had it working with these programs. I've got an Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo, I would have thought that there wouldn't be any problems....(probably wishful thinking)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 11:22:23 am »

Well there is at least one other user here with the same issue, so that rules out your specific hardware (unless of course he coincidentally has the same combo).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, have you tried the Asus VIP forums? I've had some good response there in the past from other Asus users.

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 12:26:34 pm »

Well there is at least one other user here with the same issue, so that rules out your specific hardware (unless of course he coincidentally has the same combo).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, have you tried the Asus VIP forums? I've had some good response there in the past from other Asus users.
Thanks for trying. I've emailed Asus and I'll try the VIP forums. I will update here should I get any results...

oliverg

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 06:50:17 pm »

I have exactly the same hardware but using Windows 8.1 (Xonar Essence One with DSD upgrade kit).  The kit also came with 2 MUSES02 opamps which I swapped but that's probably irrelevant.

I tried from my MacBook Pro too (OSX Mavericks - no luck)

Oh yes latest build of JRiver. Latest drivers from Asus site.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I will keep trying with Asus "support".

VonBrechts

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 12:42:26 am »

ASUS just released a firmware update for the Upgrade-Kit users. Hope it fixes the DSD issues. Haven't checked it yet....

http://www.asus.com/in/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_One/HelpDesk_Download/

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 05:30:16 am »

ASUS just released a firmware update for the Upgrade-Kit users. Hope it fixes the DSD issues. Haven't checked it yet....

http://www.asus.com/in/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_One/HelpDesk_Download/
I just applied the firmware update and I'm pleased to say: It works!!! If you follow the Asus setup instructions for JRiver you will find that the input will be 64bit and resampled by MC. In order to get DoP 2.8Mhz 1bit streaming you will have to enable Bitstreaming as well under Tools>Options>Audio>Settings>Bitstreaming: Yes. Audiopath will now show DoP 2.8Mhz 1bit for input and output.

While writing this I'm listening to Joe Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music in it's full glory...Happy days again

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 01:50:58 pm »

Excellent! Thanks for reporting back.

oliverg

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 09:40:49 pm »

Sigh .. the driver update worked perfectly.

The firmware update .. not so lucky. Have tried on 2 Macs and 2 PCs (apparently there's an issue with using anything other than  USB 2 to communicate with the DAC) but getting an error. Have left a message with Asus VIP forums. Hopefully someone there can assist

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 04:37:26 am »

Sigh .. the driver update worked perfectly.

The firmware update .. not so lucky. Have tried on 2 Macs and 2 PCs (apparently there's an issue with using anything other than  USB 2 to communicate with the DAC) but getting an error. Have left a message with Asus VIP forums. Hopefully someone there can assist

Did you decompress the main firmware archive only? There is an archive within the main one. I decompressed that to the same location and the update went without a problem. Also, I had the update tool running before booting the dac in update mode...Then, when the 3 leds lit up red I pressed the connect button and it was good to go with the update....

oliverg

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 06:19:40 am »

Did you decompress the main firmware archive only? There is an archive within the main one. I decompressed that to the same location and the update went without a problem. Also, I had the update tool running before booting the dac in update mode...Then, when the 3 leds lit up red I pressed the connect button and it was good to go with the update....

You sir, are a gentleman.

I missed that step about holding down the two front buttons whilst turning on the power.

Thank you very, very much :)

Warm regards

cybasyko

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 08:27:34 am »

You sir, are a gentleman.

I missed that step about holding down the two front buttons whilst turning on the power.

Thank you very, very much :)

Warm regards
You're welcome, I'm glad everything works now...

oliverg

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 06:55:32 pm »

So glad I converted from MediaMonkey ... JRiver is the absolute epitome of solid HTPC/media PC software. My whole house is now JRiverfied. My iPad, iPhone, music server etc all work seamlessly with DLNA. DoP is magnificent. Couldn't be happier with purchasing JRiver! Up there with the best A/V decisions I've ever made next to the purchase of my Martin Logan speakers. 

Plus there's a great community here for support :) Thanks again

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 08:17:20 pm »

Thanks.  That's very kind of you to say.

oliverg

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 10:46:23 pm »

Thanks.  That's very kind of you to say.

Its not like I have to lie :)

You should be proud of everything you've achieved - I've been watching the evolution of JRiver for many years and saw how its continued to evolve into the market leader it is ...

Feature rich. Reliable. Continues to improve. Unbeatable performance ...

Please don't ever stop doing what you do.

VonBrechts

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 12:05:43 pm »

Seems ASUS had put down the Firmware Update for the Upgrade-Kit users from their support pages for any reason...  :(

Edit: new download location

http://www.asus.com/de/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Essence_One_DSD_Upgrade_Kit/HelpDesk_Download/

coyi1895

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 09:08:09 am »

I realised this is an old thread.  I too have an Asus Xonar Essence One DAC and I received the upgrade kit today.  I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with the latest Asus driver and the latest JRiver MC 21 version.  I checked the Asus support page and there isn't a firmware available for Windows 10 64-bit but present in earlier Windows versions.

I replaced the EEPROM and OP-AMPS and I haven't carried out a firmware yet, however, I'm getting output and seems to be fine, both headphones and speakers. Just checking about this firmware, I'm not going to do it if it's working but do I have to do it?

hetzerjohn

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 06:29:38 am »

I also have upgraded my Xonar Essence One with the Asus upgrade kit Eeprom and Muse2 opamps. I also updated the usb driver to ver. 7.0.12.13 and Firmware to ver. 0.64 (very confusingly from 1.27). The resulting Xonar Essence MkII works perfectly on both my Windows 7 laptop and using the appropriate driver on my XP workstation in my garage studio.
While the usb works perfectly the Tos and Spdif inputs produce no sound at all. Is this a common experience with the upgrade?
Booting the PC with the Tos connection produces a recognition of the Xonar by the PC but no sound whatsoever!
Booting with the Spdif connected and selected results in the PC not finding the Xonar and reverting to the old audio settings!
Pages: [1]   Go Up