INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 does not recognizie my CD-writer  (Read 3154 times)

udo_1

MJ8 does not recognizie my CD-writer
« on: January 31, 2002, 07:43:28 pm »

old message from:Udo_1 01-31-2002 01:08:04 A.M.

Hi Matt,
it still comes up with "Failed to find any CD-R/W devices on your system". The only setting I can change is on the device page. On the CD writer page, everything is diabled, since there is no writer detected. I tried to set the device to ASPI but same result.

Going back to the MJ7.x version shows no problem.

Here some system data:
CPU: Intel III 850 Mhz
Memory: 384 MB
SCSI 1: Adaptec 2940UW (for internal devices)
SCSI 2: Adaptec 2940U (for external devices) this is where my CD-R/W ties in.
CD-R: Teac CD-R55S rev:K

Udo

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:MJ8 does not recognizie my CD-writer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2002, 04:03:44 am »

Take a look at some of the other threads here on wnaspi32.dll.  The bug thread on 8.0 has a clue.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2002, 04:37:40 am »

Try this file, first of all ftp://ftp.nero.com/wnaspi32.dll Copy it into Windows\System32

It may not help, but it's worth a try.

mcblag

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2002, 07:20:35 am »

I've got the same problem, are you using XP?

udo-1

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2002, 12:35:36 pm »

no, I'm using w2k

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2002, 02:22:16 am »

Similar but slightly off topic...
I'm burning a lot of coasters with 80196 and I think it is related to the fact that 80196 insists when I startup that the CD burner is drive D.
It isn't, D:\ is a ROM, E:\ is CDRW.
So when I go to burn, the drop target reads "Device: - CD Burner D:\".

Try and burn like this and MJ drops the files in to E:\ but you get a coaster.

If I click the drop-target, point it to E:\ it then says "Device: - CD Burner E:\".
Exit MJ and re start the drop target again reads "Device: - CD Burner D:\".

udo_1

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2002, 03:20:13 am »

It would be nice to get up to this step. My system does not recognize a CD-R/W at all. As soon I click on to burn-icon, it comes up with the waring, that no CD-R/W exists on this system.

But in between, I tried a lot of things:
1. I downloaded the latest NERO-version and it sees my CD-RW on the spot.
2. I try to use the nero wnaspi32.dll with the result that MJ crashes during the SCSI scan. As a side effect, my SCSI subsystem feels upset, since I'm using a different dll-version not matched to the other components. Going back to the origianl Adaptec dll I've got my warning message back but MJ won't crash anymore.

As a conclusion to this, I think it is a bug in the MJ because: going back to 7.2 everything works fine. Other programs like RealJukebox, Nero, WinOnCD etc don't show any symtoms like this. The clue should be in the rework between 7.x and 8.0x. Whatever it may be ?!

Udo

Udo_1

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2002, 02:17:34 am »

It took me quite a little time, to get the latest wnaspi32, but it seems Nero is not really organized, because all kind of different versions spreading over all their servers, and the link you named is not avaible during weekends and here this is where latest and greates sits.

But anyhow, I installed the file but no surprise - same problem. So I will give this one back to the drawingboard.
Switching back to 7.2 gave me the CD R/W function back.
Just a small note: It should be possible to keep this dll within the MJ directory, because it might cause some trouble with the existing SCSI system for other applications.

Udo

rjay

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2002, 05:19:16 am »

I am also having the same problem with my Traxdata 4120 - works perfectly in MJ7 but not recognised at all and everything is greyed out so I can't even try Generic Driver.

The Nero hyperlink doesn't work at all - where else can I try the WinASPI dll ?

Udo_1

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2002, 05:35:58 am »

Hi,

if you send me your email address, I will mail it to you. If you don't wonna post if, here is mine:

udo.siegmund@foni.net

But don't be disapointed, if the dll doesn't work.

Udo

Udo_1

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2002, 05:36:23 am »

Hi,

if you send me your email address, I will mail it to you. If you don't wonna post if, here is mine:

udo.siegmund@foni.net

But don't be disapointed, if the dll doesn't work.

Udo

rjay

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2002, 07:08:50 am »

Hi Udo,

the address is richard@honeystone.u-net.com

I now discover that MJ8 can't even rip from the CD  never mind burn to it !!  It say "Can't Open Device" even though the settings appear to recognise drive E as a CDROM ....

I thought this was an UPgrade not DOWNgrade !!

deerhunter

• World Citizen
  • self employed
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2002, 06:11:28 am »

I see I am not the only one with a problem. My MJ8 will play mp3 cds perfectly but will not play audio cd's nor will it rip or burn. I have to go to real audio jukebox to copy cds to the hard drive. Want to buy this but you better fix it first
deerhunter

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2002, 08:49:35 am »

Remember - with 8x, you're in beta territory. Don't judge the program on that basis. Work in process. Revert to/purchase 7.2.280. Very stable. No issues on burning. You can get it from http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/download.html

HTH

Udo_1

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2002, 09:22:50 am »

Well HTH,

You’re right, but I think many of those guys out here have some different meaning about beta testing. To my knowledge, before beta comes alpha. And that’s where I think we are right now. Beta testing to me means tweaking out a little problems, but here we talk about some major ones.
What makes me mad is that people paying money for what they think is a beta product, but as we see here it isn’t. If  you give this one to a freak, its fine. He likes the challenge. But think about all the others, like Stacy. She doesn’t know to much about computers, registry and all this stuff. And they just like to enjoy their music etc.

On the other hand, I don’t understand JRiver, because major problems like this will actually fall back on their image. They probably have a lot of pressure on their shoulders right now, and one knows a little about sw-development can imagine, that under this circumstances, you reach a point where you get a situation like ‘one bug out, two bugs in’.

For example: After reading all this comment, I tried ripping a CD and surprise, it won’t work, either from my cdrom, nor from my cdrw. This was working in the previous version. With other  words. They start doing patchwork right now.

For me, my consequences is: you're right, I go back to the 7.2. I’m tired of spending all my time in this frustrating stuff, which is going down and not up.

Udo

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2002, 11:36:05 am »

Here's my experiences thus far.

Writing CD's works fine as long as I have that wnaspi32.dll file in place. Occasionally, new builds of MJ decide it doesn't like that file, so I have to remove it from system32, have MJ detect my writer (using the generic driver), then recopy wnaspi32.dll into System32, and have MJ detect my writer using the actual driver. Then it works. Not sure what's up with that.

As for playing CD's. I found that I needed to set my CD-ROM drives to IDE in Device Settings. Then Digital Playback came back.

I haven't tried ripping as I've switched to a completely new ripping process that doesn't involve MJ. I use Exact Audio Copy to create and APE file of my CD and a CUE sheet that I then use to create APL files. I then import those into MJ. So I haven't tried ripping in MJ 8 for a while. But it was working great the last time I tried.

Udo_1

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2002, 11:43:40 am »

How did you use the generic driver? This box is disabled. But there is an interesting part: if I use generic driver on 7.2, I have exactly the same error (Not recognizing my cd-r/w)!

udo

Udo_1

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2002, 03:35:33 am »

To JimH

The last words I herd from you in this case was “good news”. So tell me.

Just let me tell you about no ripping at all: I found, that after uninstalling there is one dll left, locked by windows. I had to reboot, to free it. After installing MJ, at least ripping a CD is working from both drives!

The other problem (not recognizing CDRW) lock more like an internal driver problem, because each time I activate CD burning you can tell see the software addressing the CDRW, but probably doesn’t accept this type.

Udo

Shelton Leslie

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2002, 04:23:27 am »

Un_do are you now having events in the event viewer about error 26? Just curious, since I started screwing around trying to get MJB 8 working I'm now having that error every hour on the hour. Pretty sure it's related to my 2940 UW driver. I had tried updating it etc to make the MJB work. Oh my..what a tangled web we weave..hehehehe

Udo_1

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2002, 06:27:23 am »

I just checked my events, but there is no SCSI related error. Did you ever use aspichk to check the aspi-subsystem?
If you don't have it, just do an ftp to my ip listed on the right side. There you find the aspichk and drivers (SCSI - Adaptec)

Udo

dale

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2002, 03:12:43 pm »

I have a 2940U2W and since upgrading have not been able to see my burner as well(Panasonic  7502).   ASPICHK says there is no problem but I updated by SCSI adapters drivers and BIOS in any case as well as the CDR.  Guess what?  My CDR is still not recognized.  This has to be an issue in MJ8.

--Dale

Udo_1

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2002, 09:00:26 pm »

Hi Dale,

it must be, because going back to MJB 7 brings the burner back.

Udo

JohnT

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2002, 03:44:29 am »

Please try the next build. The burner initialization changed in Version 8 and it looks like it was not scanning for "wide" scsi devices.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Udo_1

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2002, 04:40:43 am »

Hi,

I tested a few things on my system and here are the results:

1. I uninstalled vers. 8 and installed version 7.2 .280.
• I get access to my burner. As the next step, I checked the access time tag on the wnaspi32.dll. The time stamp is changed to the latest access.
• Removing the DLL causes the same error message  to pop up.
• Using the generic driver causes the error, whether the DLL is present or not. But using the generic driver will not change the time stamp.

2. Lets going back to 8 now.
• The time stamp never changes, that means to me the DLL was never accessed. Generic driver is disabled, so I can’t try it. Maybe it would work,
• or I’m just guessing: the logical function of  the box generic drivers is inverted??

By the way, my burner is not tied into a wide. The wide is for internal, the normal for the external stuff (scanner, burner etc)

Udo

JohnT

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2002, 04:47:36 am »

Do a search on your system for a file called "wnaspint.dll". If it's there, let me know where it's located and try renaming it and see if version 8 acts differently.

Udo_1

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2002, 05:08:13 am »

I think, this is a leftover from music match, but I don't have if.

Here is the output from aspichk:

LOG0143: *****************************************************************
    LOG0144: Starting ASPICHK installer on Fri Feb 08 16:10:12 2002
ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.00.2195)
UPGRADE1004: c:\w2k\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 09/10/1999 12:06:00, 45056 bytes.
UPGRADE1062: c:\w2k\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 4.6.0.1021
UPGRADE1004: c:\w2k\system\winaspi.dll dated 09/10/1999 12:06:00, 5600 bytes.
UPGRADE1062: c:\w2k\system\winaspi.dll version 4.6.0.1021
UPGRADE1004: c:\w2k\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys dated 09/10/1999 12:06:00, 25244 bytes.
UPGRADE1062: c:\w2k\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys version 4.6.0.1021
UPGRADE1004: c:\w2k\system\wowpost.exe dated 09/10/1999 12:06:00, 4672 bytes.
UPGRADE1062: c:\w2k\system\wowpost.exe version 4.6.0.1021
ASPICHK0582: ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational. A total of 3 host adapters have been detected.
    LOG0218: Closing installer log on Fri Feb 08 16:10:12 2002
    LOG0219: *****************************************************************

Udo

Udo_1

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2002, 06:13:34 am »

I forgot, but I installed it once into both dir (system32 and JRiver/..). This DLL as not touched by the sw.(no change of access time tamp) and it doesn’t make no difference. But on other remark: Could it make a difference between a SCSI and non SCSI system?

Udo

JohnT

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2002, 06:55:13 am »

"I forgot, but I installed it once into both dir (system32 and JRiver/..). This DLL..."

Are you speaking of the wnaspint.dll? If so, have your removed it now so it doesn't exist in either the system32 or JRiver directories?

Udo_1

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2002, 07:00:56 am »

about the winaspint.dll. It does not exist on my system. (It never does except for testing!

udo
Pages: [1]   Go Up