INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort by track number, instead of Sequence?  (Read 13090 times)

Red99

• Recent member
Sort by track number, instead of Sequence?
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:09:44 pm »

From Windows Explorer, if I select all tracks on an album, right click and choose "Play in Media Center", they'll do just that (showing the Player in Standard View).  My only problem is they won't play in order of track number, they play in order of the "Sequence" column.  Is there a setting I can change to get albums to sort by track number by default? 

I know, it only takes a couple of clicks to sort by track number then start playing from #1, or navigate to the album from within MC-19 instead of Explorer to solve my problem.  But I'd love to have the option to play albums from Windows Explorer without having to stop playback and sort manually. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Sort by track number, instead of Sequence?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:43:15 pm »

It should use the order that the files are listed in Explorer.  Isn't it doing that?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 04:50:58 pm »

No, unfortunately it always sorts by the "Sequence" column by default - and the sequence never matches the track number order.  I'm using the latest version of MC-19.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 04:52:52 pm »

What if you rename the files and put track # first?  Then it'd sort correctly, wouldn't it?

MC can do this for you using Library Tools > Rename, Move, & Copy Files

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 05:52:29 pm »

No, all of my file names and song titles already start with the track number first.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:28 pm »

No, all of my file names and song titles already start with the track number first.

Well then they should sort correctly and play correctly ?

Just to be sure, are you right-clicking and doing Media Center > Play?

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:46:20 pm »

It's good to know that it's possible, and mine is the exception rather than the rule.

When I right click on the selected album tracks, the option in bold at the top of the list is "Play in Media Center".  Whether I choose that, or "Open" or hit the Enter key, copy and paste or drag and drop the files into MC, I get the same result. 

I've had this problem since I first started using MC, including several versions of both MC-18 and MC-19, but just now getting around to asking the question.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 07:05:57 pm »

What happens if you pick all the files > right-click > Media Center > Play?

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:32:12 pm »

Unfortunately that option isn't available on my right click menu in Windows 8.1 Pro.

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 06:24:06 pm »

I had a problem getting media server to load at startup that carried through several uninstall/installations and versions. I finally solved the problem simply by turning off media server "load at start up" in settings, then turning it back on.  I wonder if there's a setting I can turn off/on to solve this problem?  Seems like there may be something in my saved settings that carries the problem across versions/installations.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 02:05:04 pm »

I don't have a lot of time here, but, I've just tested this as described...

Select an album in explorer, right ckick, "Play in Media Center"

Now, the first unexpected thing that happened was that MC19 launched, and began playback, despite MC20 being installed here.
Second, as described in the OP, the tracks, all with filenames [track #] - [name], arrive in Playing Now in a shuffled state, and yes, the 'shuffle' button in MC is set to 'Off'

Once I figure out why the Explorer context menu is launching MC19, I'll try and test some more using MC20 tomorrow.

First impression here is that something is not right there somewhere.

-marko

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 02:26:24 pm »

Once I figure out why the Explorer context menu is launching MC19, I'll try and test some more using MC20 tomorrow.

-marko

Thanks Marko!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 10:46:08 am »

It's all voodoo!

"Right click > Play in Media Center" (The bold option at the top of the list)
You will only see this if Media Center is the default application for the selected file type. Choosing this option never sends the files to playing now in the order they are listed in Explorer. It gets close now and then, but there's always a track or three out of place. The file type makes no difference as far as I can tell. This behaviour is the same in MC20... A bug?

Unfortunately that option isn't available on my right click menu in Windows 8.1 Pro.
With shell integration enabled, more right click options become available. In MC, go to: "Tools > Options > General > Shell Options > Enable shell integration" and make sure it's checked. Once checked, you may need to reboot to activate the integration for the first time only.

Now, when you right click the selection, you should see a new entry in the list, "Media Center" with a flyout sub-menu. Choosing "Play" here always adds the files in the correct order for me.

-marko.

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 04:21:53 am »

Now, when you right click the selection, you should see a new entry in the list, "Media Center" with a flyout sub-menu. Choosing "Play" here always adds the files in the correct order for me.
So strange, this totally worked for me. Doesn't make any sense, so the program on its own has a bug unless you do this? I was actually using Media Center for albums in my tagged music folders, but untagged music in Windows Explorer I was just using foobar because it did the job without putting things out of order.
Thanks for the solution.

Red99

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 10:18:27 pm »

With shell integration enabled, more right click options become available. In MC, go to: "Tools > Options > General > Shell Options > Enable shell integration" and make sure it's checked. Once checked, you may need to reboot to activate the integration for the first time only.

-marko.

This solution from Marko worked for me a second time.  After upgrading to MC-21, the problem returned.  The only difference is that I had to first uncheck the "Enable Shell Integration" box > restart my computer > then re-check "Enable Shell Integration" and restart.
Pages: [1]   Go Up