INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM and/or/vs Device "exclusive access"...  (Read 1247 times)

adlelare

• World Citizen
WDM and/or/vs Device "exclusive access"...
« on: October 22, 2014, 08:49:46 am »

JRiver staff,

after setting up the new WDM process, is Device "exclusive access" in audio options, redundant or if like me i never used it (for reasons id'ed in your wiki) should i now set "exclusive access"...which i guess i'm asking is are the benefits of "exclusive access" still as per the Wiki when WDM is set up or does WDM now avail me to all /most or some of these benefits without "exclusive access"... TIA.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: WDM and/or/vs Device "exclusive access"...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:57:29 am »

Exclusive access refers to how Media Center talks to the soundcard.  It's still good, in my opinion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:48 am »

Matt, a quick question on exclusive access in the WDM context that may be relevant to OP's concerns*:

Back in the loopback days if a program tried to take exclusive access of the soundcard being used for the dummy in loopback, it would break loopback in MC (e.g. if I used my realtek on-board as the dummy loopback default device and targeted it for output using a program that took exclusive control of the device, attempts to open loopback would fail in MC).  

Some folks are reporting that WASAPI exclusive output modes targeting the new WDM driver are causing playback to stutter or fail: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92593.msg638476#msg638476
When I tested, I had mixed results myself (sometimes fine, sometimes not fine depending on the program).

Does the WDM driver work correctly on your end when using a program that takes exclusive access of the JRiver WDM device?

*Obviously allowing devices to take exclusive access of the WDM driver is a different issue than enabling exclusive access on an output in MC, but I wasn't sure which one OP was asking about.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 10:17:48 am »

Does the WDM driver work correctly on your end when using a program that takes exclusive access of the JRiver WDM device?

I'm playing from MC19 in exclusive mode to MC20 right now.  It works great.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:29:39 am »

Awesome, thanks for confirmation. I'll figure out whatever was causing my issues serene in the knowledge that the problem is solveable  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up