INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PrePurchase Questons  (Read 5465 times)

olegausany

• Recent member
PrePurchase Questons
« on: October 22, 2014, 03:44:42 pm »

Hi

I right now I use version 20.0.27 on Win7 Pro 64bit in trial mode after surprising discovery that my music sounds way way better with MC20 than with latest version of Foobar2000.
Most of my music is CD image rips which means i have one big FLAC or APE file plus a CUE file. I'm old school guy who prefers to use file manager (I use Total Commander) so I just double click on CUE file and Foobar, if it isn't already started, will start, show a list of tracks and start playing the first track. If Foobar is already running it will stop the playback of the current track, clear the list of tracks, load the new list of tracks and start the playback. MC20 instead does the following. If it isn't running yet it will start, display name of the first track and some other info including number of tracks and start the playback but instead of displaying list of tracks it shows some intro webpage instead. Is it because I'm using trial or I'm doing something wrong?  If I  use MC20's own explorer to locate the folder and than double click the CUE file it will start the playback but still will not show tracks list.  If MC is running and playing when I double click on CUE file it will stop the playback of current track and start the playback of the first track from new image but still will not clear number of tracks but will add new tracks to the counter. So my question is how can I set MC20 to behave the way I want?
Also I have some ISO images of SACDs I downloaded so with help of plugin Foobar has no problems playing them while MC20 opens bult-in Windows burning program. while it claims that SACD are supported since MC17 and yes I have read the FAQ and went to Options-> Data to enable Iso but playback method on Automatic since there is no other choice then external program so any help is appreciated.
The reason I installed latest instead of stable build is that i think I found a bug with repeat options, I'm sure it's set to off, says when clicking on appropriate icon but instead of stopping at the end it starts again and yes I have tried build 21, 26 and 27
Thanks in advance,

Oleg

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: PrePurchase Questons
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:04:22 pm »

To get MC20 to work well, then you need to import the files.  See the Wiki (under Support above) and/or search Forum for "import".

MC20 is based on importing the files, so that it knows what it is dealing with, especially for SACD ISOs.

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:27:25 pm »

What kstuart said ...

Make sure you configure the autoimport options to include the cue files. Options=>Library & Folders=>Autoimport

If you absolutely have to be old-school. You can set up a view to allow browsing from the tree, this at least would be much faster and organizable. I'd split thos big flac files though, Think its going to limit what you can tag otherwise.

I believe if the cue files are imported you could probably launch files externally via the cue sheets, but I'm not sure with the ISOs only have them in video (those you can launch eternally, but they don't use cue sheets of course

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: Re: PrePurchase Questons
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 04:45:23 pm »

MC20 instead does the following. If it isn't running yet it will start, display name of the first track and some other info including number of tracks and start the playback but instead of displaying list of tracks it shows some intro webpage instead. Is it because I'm using trial or I'm doing something wrong?
You can change this behavior in Options, but maybe, the startup location cannot be changed in trial versions. You can give it a try by going to Tools -> Options -> Startup and changing the startup location there.

You also could take a look at the general tab. There you can configure what happens when a file starts to play. If you set Behavior to "Jump on play (audio): Playing Now" it should work as you expect when you start playing from Total Commander.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 05:46:15 pm »

but maybe, the startup location cannot be changed in trial versions.

The trial is completely full featured.  There is nothing locked out.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »

As far as this thing:

To get MC20 to work well, then you need to import the files.  See the Wiki (under Support above) and/or search Forum for "import".

MC20 is based on importing the files, so that it knows what it is dealing with, especially for SACD ISOs.

Some new users imbue the process of Importing with more meaning than it actually has in MC.  I think this is because how iTunes handles it (where it sucks the files in and moves them around behind your back and everything).  I'm not sure where it comes from, but it is irrelevant.  MC does not do any of this.

Importing in MC is simply the process of telling MC that the files exist and getting them entered into its database.  Period.  There is no more meaning to it than that.  MC does not move your files, or do anything crazy to them, upon import.  If you want it to move them and consolidate your files on disk, it can, but you have to initiate that process yourself.

Details:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 06:08:59 pm »

To get MC20 to work well, then you need to import the files.  See the Wiki (under Support above) and/or search Forum for "import".

Imported few Iso files into the library but clicking Play still starts Windows burning program

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:51:16 pm »

You can change this behavior in Options, but maybe, the startup location cannot be changed in trial versions. You can give it a try by going to "tools -> options -> startup" and changing the startup location there.

You also could take a look at the general tab. There you can configure what happens when a file starts to play. If you set it to "Jump to playing now" it should work as you expect when you start playing from Total Commander.

Thanks your advice is very helpful but if you double click on CUE file in Total Commander while MC20 is already running and playing it adds new tracks to the end of the play now list instead of replacing it. Yes in General Behavior is set to Double click Replace Playing Now(all) so is it a bug or feature?

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 06:57:21 pm »

What kstuart said ...

Make sure you configure the autoimport options to include the cue files. Options=>Library & Folders=>Autoimport

If you absolutely have to be old-school. You can set up a view to allow browsing from the tree, this at least would be much faster and organizable. I'd split thos big flac files though, Think its going to limit what you can tag otherwise.

I believe if the cue files are imported you could probably launch files externally via the cue sheets, but I'm not sure with the ISOs only have them in video (those you can launch eternally, but they don't use cue sheets of course
Unfortunately can't change autoimport options cause program crashes as soon as i double click on configure autoimport

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 07:39:03 pm »

Hmmm...  Do you have a virtual optical drive software package installed (probably Virtual Clone Drive or Daemon Tools)?

Perhaps that wasn't clear to you before, but MC needs to have one of those installed to be able to read and play ISO files.  The fact they're opening in the built-in burn software makes me think that you either don't have something installed, or you don't have it configured to handle ISO files.  So MC then opens them with the default associated application, which on Windows is the burn software.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ISO_Files

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 08:36:16 pm »

Hmmm...  Do you have a virtual optical drive software package installed (probably Virtual Clone Drive or Daemon Tools)?

Perhaps that wasn't clear to you before, but MC needs to have one of those installed to be able to read and play ISO files.  The fact they're opening in the built-in burn software makes me think that you either don't have something installed, or you don't have it configured to handle ISO files.  So MC then opens them with the default associated application, which on Windows is the burn software.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ISO_Files
thanks for your help. You are right iI didn't have Virtual Clone Drive so I installed one and now MC20  shows filename in the status line at the bottom of the screen but nothing else happens, no sound, no moving progress bar no error message. The same file works with Foobar without problems, tried 3 different one

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Re: PrePurchase Questons
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 02:23:36 am »

The trial is completely full featured.  There is nothing locked out.
Sorry, you're right of course! Messed this up with the old Media Jukebox.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 05:07:00 am »

Thanks your advice is very helpful but if you double click on CUE file in Total Commander while MC20 is already running and playing it adds new tracks to the end of the play now list instead of replacing it. Yes in General Behavior is set to Double click Replace Playing Now(all) so is it a bug or feature?

Not sure about your bug/feature question, but you could avoid this problem by right clicking the file in Total Commander (if you're still using it ;)) and selecting "Media Center -> Replace & Play".

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 09:55:23 am »

Not sure about your bug/feature question, but you could avoid this problem by right clicking the file in Total Commander (if you're still using it ;)) and selecting "Media Center -> Replace & Play".
Thanks for workaround but i would suggest to developers to add to startup behavior options ability to have it on double click from outside

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 02:36:33 pm »

So thanks to previous posters help program mostly works as expected except few things
1. Can't play SACD ISO images with Virtual Clone Drive installed, hopefully get fixed soon
2 If I use the built in Explorer View to browse my collection and then double click CUE file
right side will switch to Player View, display list of track and start playing which is good
thing. So what's wrong then? The wrong thing is that it will add, but thanks god will not
play, the image file as the first track in the list , who needs it? Plus left pane instead of
keep showing the tree of drives and folders has Player selected. Anyway to keep the
tree view in the left pane ?
3. As already few people said it can't show track list from some CUE files just starts the playback
Any additional advice is appreciated   

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 03:18:18 pm »

So thanks to previous posters help program mostly works as expected except few things
1. Can't play SACD ISO images with Virtual Clone Drive installed, hopefully get fixed soon
Check the file type field for these discs. They should be "sacd" not "iso".
Media Center has native SACD ISO support, so there is no need to mount the image using virtual drive software - though it does not conflict, as I use VCD for Blu-ray/DVD image mounting.

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 07:21:16 pm »

Check the file type field for these discs. They should be "sacd" not "iso".
Media Center has native SACD ISO support, so there is no need to mount the image using virtual drive software - though it does not conflict, as I use VCD for Blu-ray/DVD image mounting.
Thanks for trying to help but after renaming file type to SACD gives error message Something went wrong  with playback if builin explorer was used
but if you use Windows explorer you getting error unsupported media type <none>

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 07:51:12 pm »

Are you running any custom import rules? Try removing them from the library and re-importing them.

Also try running Tools → Library Tools → Update Library (from tags)

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:21 pm »

Are you running any custom import rules? Try removing them from the library and re-importing them.

Also try running Tools → Library Tools → Update Library (from tags)
No I'm not using any custom rules, have no clue even how to do them
Tried Update Library (from Tags) Failure error

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 09:05:01 pm »

That sounds like bad files. Are you sure you ripped them correctly?

olegausany

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »

I downloaded them and as I said Foobar 2000 with SACD plugin plays them without problem
Pages: [1]   Go Up