INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 20.0.27 Crashes In Running Library Auto-Import  (Read 3012 times)

gcoupe

• Recent member
MC 20.0.27 Crashes In Running Library Auto-Import
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:13:53 am »

JMC 20.0.27 (and 20.0.21 before it) crashes consistently when I attempt to run the Auto-Import task for the Library.

The activity window shows that it reaches the "Updating library to match external changes" stage and then it crashes or hangs.

Log file can be found here: http://1drv.ms/1tndXJa

The crash dump summary states:

Dump Summary
------------
Dump File:   Previous Crash.dmp : C:\Users\gcoup_000\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_JRiver Log 2014-10-25 14-59-15.zip\Previous Crash.dmp
Last Write Time:   25/10/2014 14:58:48
Process Name:   Media Center 20.exe : E:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 20\Media Center 20.exe
Process Architecture:   x86
Exception Code:   0xC0000005
Exception Information:   The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Heap Information:   Not Present

System Information
------------------
OS Version:   6.3.9600
CLR Version(s):   

Thanks.

Geoff Coupe

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: JMC 20.0.27 Crashes In Running Library Auto-Import
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:56:57 am »

What happens if you play a video?

It's crashing downloading LAV:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/redirects/MC/v20/redirect.pl?type=dependency&prodname=Media%20Center&version=20.0.27&dependency_name=lav&dependency_version=50

It'll also download when you play, so that'd be an interesting test.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:52:33 am »

Also, what happens if you temporarily disable your internet safety products?  They cause problems like this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:48:08 am »

Try to narrow down the problem by importing only a single folder at a time, or a single file type.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:58:52 am »

It's crashing downloading LAV:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/redirects/MC/v20/redirect.pl?type=dependency&prodname=Media%20Center&version=20.0.27&dependency_name=lav&dependency_version=50
I didn't see Matt's post when I posted.  That points to something like "security" software.  MC is probably being denied access.  Too bad there's no error message.  Firewall is a possibility. 

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:19:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies - I'll test this out further tomorrow. Audio and images play fine, but haven't tried video yet.
Geoff Coupe

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 03:19:53 am »

Carried out some further tests:

1) All media (audio, images and video [MKV files for ripped DVDs and Blurays; .TS files for recorded TV]) play without problems.
2) Disabling the firewall (Windows Firewall) has no effect
3) Installed JMC on second PC; exactly the same result at exactly the same point (updating library to match external changes)
4) All media is held on WHS 2011 system.
5) There are five top-level Media folders defined in the auto-import; all are of the form \\Servername\Media type.

The only thing I can think of is that at the point where the auto-import process attempts to update external files, it uses another user credential, instead of the authorised credential, and attempts to access the Media folders held on the WHS 2011 system.
Geoff Coupe

astromo

• MC Beta Team
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 03:57:57 am »

In the log you posted in the first post, a Windows component crashes when trying to read Proxy settings. I have never seen this before, and its not our code that crashes, but something built into Windows.  ?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 05:35:54 am »

Or security software.

Did you try playing video?

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 05:39:18 am »

Or security software.

Did you try playing video?

As I said in a previous post, all media, including video (ripped DVDs, Blurays and recorded TV), plays perfectly on both PCs.
Geoff Coupe

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 05:49:41 am »

I've added a second log file to the OneDrive folder here: http://1drv.ms/1tndXJa

This log file was taken from the second PC running JMC. It looks to be exactly the same error, as far as I can see.
Geoff Coupe

raldo

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 04:53:35 am »

[]
It looks to be exactly the same error, as far as I can see.

Were you able to perform a complete import, Geoff?

gcoupe

• Recent member
Re: MC 20.0.27 Crashes In Running Library Auto-Import
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 06:19:17 am »

Yes, it certainly looks complete. What I've also found is that if I just import the five root media folders separately, then all five import operations complete without error. However, if I define them in the Auto-import section, and run Auto-import, I get the crash.
Geoff Coupe

raldo

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 09:30:52 am »

Ok, so you can postpone this problem for a while then?

How does it look wrt. configuring views? Any progress?

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:40 pm »

Ok, so you can postpone this problem for a while then?

How does it look wrt. configuring views? Any progress?
Yes, I've postponed the error. I still feel overwhelmed with the rest of the system. I would like to see if I can have that two-level (multi-level?) keyword view for photos, but frankly, I haven't got a clue as how to do it. The few experiments that I did came to naught. Meanwhile, Plex have now just improved their Windows Phone and Windows 8.1 clients to address some of my perceived shortcomings with browsing music libraries. It's starting to look good enough.

I'm still thinking that I prefer "good enough" to a plethora of "bells and whistles".
Geoff Coupe

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 12:46:08 pm »

Did you describe what you want to do with views?

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 01:55:23 pm »

Did you describe what you want to do with views?

Jim, it was something that Raldo saw on my blog post:

“With 50k photos you just can’t browse folders, you’ll go insane before finding the right photos. Browsing by keywords represented by virtual folders is good, but browsing by ONE keyword/tag/metadata just doesn’t cut it.

What is needed is support of multiple level of keywords, at the very least two levels.

As far as I’m concerned a dynamic two-level virtual folder structure based on keywords would be far better than one. Let’s say you open the virtual folder for the keyword “Birthday”, then you would be presented with virtual folders for all the keywords that coexist with “Birthday” for any image thus filtering the result further for every step.”

That’s the sort of functionality I am looking for in both a 10ft interface client and a Modern UI client.
Geoff Coupe

raldo

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 02:16:21 pm »

What is needed is support of multiple level of keywords, at the very least two levels.

Geoff, If I'm not wrong, you adopted some quasi-standard hierarchical keyword structure a while ago.

This is equivalent to "nested keywords" in MC. If you do a search you'll find a lot on this topic in these forums. MC supports nested keywords at "infinite depth". Both for display and tagging tools.

Let's just test this really quickly in standard view. Any view in Standard view can be imported in 10 ft. display, Theater View.

o Select the top level "Images" node in the left of the application
o Rightclick, select "Add Library view"
o Select the "empty view", name it "Test" and press ok.
o on the left side of the resulting dialog, press "Add"
o In the "Select Field" edit box, select "Keywords", press ok.
o You're now back in the "Customize View" dialog, press ok.

The new view you called "Test" should now be visible under the "Images node". Select the view.

You should now be able to browse your keyword structure in the right pane...

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 02:30:40 pm »

Raldo - what you describe just gives me a single level browsing experience as far as I can see. That's already there. What would be nice is a multi-level browsing by keyword - the equivalent of doing a dynamic search of ANDed keywords...

However, I'm probably wrong about this. I'll have another shot at this in the next few days.
Geoff Coupe

raldo

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2014, 02:47:03 pm »

Raldo - what you describe just gives me a single level browsing experience as far as I can see. That's already there. What would be nice is a multi-level browsing by keyword - the equivalent of doing a dynamic search of ANDed keywords...

However, I'm probably wrong about this. I'll have another shot at this in the next few days.

If you have three nested keywords (with the slash in the shown direction), say:
o aaa\bbb\ccc
o aaa\bbb\ddd
o cccc\eee

-- The above view example would have two toplevel nodes (aaa and cccc ). Under aaa, one node ( bbb ) . Under bbb, two nodes (ccc and ddd), under cccc, one node (eee).

Isn't this what you're looking for?

gcoupe

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 02:58:22 pm »

If you have three nested keywords (with the slash in the shown direction), say:
o aaa\bbb\ccc
o aaa\bbb\ddd
o cccc\eee

-- Would have two toplevel nodes (aaa and cccc ). Under aaa, one node ( bbb ) . Under bbb, two nodes (ccc and ddd), under cccc, one node (eee).

Isn't this what you're looking for?

Er, no. Let's say I have some keywords such as:
- Geoff
- Martin
- Restaurant
- Paris
- London

In my case, such keywords are already parts of hierarchies: e.g. People/Family/Geoff or Europe/England/Greater London/London. These are your nested keywords.

But what I'm looking for is a way to quickly navigate to that photo that was taken of Martin and myself at a restaurant in Paris.

One way of doing this would be to first select all photos with "Geoff", then select from them the photos that are tagged "Martin", then from that set, the photos that are tagged "Paris", and then from that set, the photos that are tagged with "restaurant".

It's the equivalent of a dynamic search of Geoff AND Martin AND Paris AND restaurant.

I'm not saying it's easy to do this in a UI, but it would be a killer feature. I can do it in Photo Supreme, but I've yet to see this implemented in either a 10ft UI or a Modern UI application...
Geoff Coupe

raldo

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 03:58:42 pm »

Ok, now I understand.

I think maybe you can do this in Theater View.

I'm not yet on version 20 but the following thread seems to indicate that 20 introduces this feature

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91228.0

Maybe someone else can verify this (and that it also works for photos)

Note that you can use a smart tag to split your nested Keywords if that's needed
Pages: [1]   Go Up