INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging question: create automatic catalog #/index # for each album ripped?  (Read 2407 times)

ClassicalOboe

• Recent member

Is there an expression that will automatically assign each album a unique number when it is ripped?

I am about to embark on ripping 3,000+ CD's. Since these CD's contain classical music I would like to keep the physical copies and liner notes and assign them each a catalog/index number in MC so that we can find them later. Ideally I would like each album that we rip to automatically get assigned a number that gets stored in a tag, (and possibly in the file name.)

We plan to write the assigned number on the CD's and place them in binders for future reference, then when we come across a track for which we would like to read the liner notes, we can just look at the number assigned to it and easily find the CD in the binders.

Thank you in advance for your help, I'm new to MC and greatly appreciate your expertise!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Welcome to the forum.  I don't know a way to do it automatically.

You can add custom tags in MC.  Try the wiki or a search here for more information.

Vincent Kars

JRiver knows the number of albums but as far as I know it is not user accessible variable.

You might consider scanning the liner notes and store them in the same folder as the album.
But it is a nasty job to scan them all

ClassicalOboe

• Recent member

Thank you so much for your input so far. There may be a variety of people working on ripping the CD's to MC so I was really hoping for an automatic reference number for each album (just so we don't get any duplicates or skipped numbers).  I followed the advice to search the wiki and forum, and although I have still not found a tag or expression for a custom tag that could automatically assign a unique reference number to each album, I did run across several tags that seem like they may hold a clue. Could anyone tell me if any of these might work or if I might be able to modify them to create a custom tag that would assign a permanent unique number to each album?

• Service ID
  • Store Field: Album ID
  • Store Field: Asset Code
  • Date Created
  • Date Imported

Thank you!

ClassicalOboe

• Recent member

Thank you so much for your input so far. There may be a variety of people working on ripping the CD's to MC so I was really hoping for an automatic reference number for each album (just so we don't get any duplicates or skipped numbers).  I followed the advice to search the wiki and forum, and although I have still not found a tag or expression for a custom tag that could automatically assign a unique reference number to each album, I did run across several tags that seem like they may hold a clue. Could anyone tell me if any of these might work or if I might be able to modify them to create a custom tag that would assign a permanent unique number to each album?

• Service ID
  • Store Field: Album ID
  • Store Field: Asset Code
  • Date Created
  • Date Imported

Thank you!

fredele

• World Citizen

Well ..

Here's my work of today :  ;D

http://frederic.klieber.free.fr/utils/CatalogNumber.zip

Basically, it' a plugin that number's your files with an increment for each album starting from the oldest imported to the more recent .

Be sure, before using it, that you have correct informations in your Album tags, unless it may not work properly

What does it do ? It creates a field "Catalog_Nbr" and attributes a number to it .
Once the tag is written, the app. will never rewrite it ! So please do not delete the tag manually ..
If you have deleted some albums from your collection, there's also a checking feature who enables you to see what Catalog_Nbr is missing, but in no way it will be re-adressed to an already existing album !
Later, as you're adding files to your collection, reran theapp., it detects the greates Catalog_Nbr attributed and continues the numbering from there ..
As I said, once attributed, the number CANNOT change, (... OR YOU deleted the tag manually ..)
You can try it out, no harm will be done to your files, in no way data can be lost.

-If you decide to not use it after a test, you can manually delete the field "Catalog_Nbr" created by my app. ,
-If  you decide to use it, let me now by PM or here so we could discuss for futher details- customisation, or what else  ?

Please, consider this as an "non finished" but fully functionnal "plug-in".

Thanks !

ferday

• MC Beta Team

Well ..

Here's my work of today :  ;D

i haven't tried it yet, but thank you so much.  i'll be sure to post my results with it as soon as i have a chance to use it

how does it find the files (JRiver library?  look for media?)

ClassicalOboe

• Recent member

Thank you so much! I've tried the application you wrote and it indeed assigned an number "Catalog_Nbr" to each album ripped, starting with the oldest. This is perfect and does exactly what I need it to do. I really appreciate the time you took to write this app, it will make our lives much easier and keep the cataloging project much more consistent  :)

Well ..

Here's my work of today :  ;D

Basically, it' a plugin that number's your files with an increment for each album starting from the oldest imported to the more recent .

Be sure, before using it, that you have correct informations in your Album tags, unless it may not work properly

What does it do ? It creates a field "Catalog_Nbr" and attributes a number to it .
Once the tag is written, the app. will never rewrite it ! So please do not delete the tag manually ..
If you have deleted some albums from your collection, there's also a checking feature who enables you to see what Catalog_Nbr is missing, but in no way it will be re-adressed to an already existing album !
Later, as you're adding files to your collection, reran theapp., it detects the greates Catalog_Nbr attributed and continues the numbering from there ..
As I said, once attributed, the number CANNOT change, (... OR YOU deleted the tag manually ..)
You can try it out, no harm will be done to your files, in no way data can be lost.

-If you decide to not use it after a test, you can manually delete the field "Catalog_Nbr" created by my app. ,
-If  you decide to use it, let me now by PM or here so we could discuss for futher details- customisation, or what else  ?

Please, consider this as an "non finished" but fully functionnal "plug-in".

Thanks !

fredele

• World Citizen

OK, thanks!  :)

If you want another name than 'Catalog_Nbr', or what .. it could be easly modified ..
I've got a  github account with some other codings of my own, I have added it ...

https://github.com/fredele/AutoNumber/releases/download/0.0.0.0/CatalogNumber.zip

Please use this one, I have made a minor change to 'finalize it' ..and a little BUG correction ..

fredele

• World Citizen
Re: Tagging question: create automatic catalog #/index # for each album ripped?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 01:55:22 am »

how does it find the files (JRiver library?  look for media?)

Sorry, I haven' t seen your question .

The technical side .... :

It basically runs a 2 MCAutomation.seach to have the files from [Media Type]=[Audio] ~nodup=[Album] ~sort=[Date Imported]  , who gives me a file of each album, then
a [Media Type]=[Audio] [Album]=['+alb+'],where alb are the files from the previous search .

That's why, yes,the album name has to be consistent to work properly ..

fredele

• World Citizen
Re: Tagging question: create automatic catalog #/index # for each album ripped?
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 06:51:16 pm »

Well, I gave a try to it ... better than nothing ..

To be honest, it doesn't work as espected for now.  :-[  :-[ Just realized it ...
MC seems to modify this tag by itself, but i don't completely know why he acts this way ..

I have posted the question here :

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93406.0

I'm sorry ClassicalOboe , things seems sometimes easy while there not so obvious .. maybe will I get the point on my knowledge lack on the internals on JRIver .. it seems I haven't understood everything for now ...  :-\

Pages: [1]   Go Up