INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Easy  (Read 79281 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Too Easy
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2015, 11:29:11 am »

Next build:
NEW: Double-click on the headers of a grouped list control fires a double-click on the entire grouping, which normally starts playback (but depends on the setting).
Thanks for this, always thought this should work...will make things much quicker/less confusing.

flac.rules

« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2015, 11:29:33 am »

Ah, I see!

Next build:
NEW: Double-click on the headers of a grouped list control fires a double-click on the entire grouping, which normally starts playback (but depends on the setting).

Great :)

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2015, 11:54:23 am »

Ah, I see!

Next build:

This is one of the reasons that I wanted " Add (album) " in the right-click Play options.  Adding this new feature will further increase the flexibility, thanks.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2015, 12:48:31 pm »

any chance you guys will be tackling this one?

Re: Conundrum...sync changes with server, stop deletions, but keep clients sync'd. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=95099.msg655620#msg655620

Note:
I have read Glynor's post (as rossp has) the point and concern of my post is for the less advanced/noobs who 1. don't have a clue how to setup what he describes, 2. are afraid of messing up all there files, 3. will run into tons of problems when on home network after messing with their shares/users by family/business members/specific pc's wanting to change/delete files via networking/explorer and being bombarded with windows password dialogs, and other issues noobs might run across (i have no clue what other problems a noob may run across, because well i'm one of them)

Perhaps you could take a poll on how many JRiver users have setup shares properly, have a clue how to do it, and above all feel confident about it?

Thanks for your time, and considering.

Edit...No clue why it goes to glynor's post. please start at post 1 to see explanation of problem. and thoughts on why it may be a too easy fix.

Pho3NiX

• Recent member
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2015, 11:29:02 pm »

Some usability I can think of

------

Cover Art> Add from file
Option to open dialog in current file folder instead of last location.

----

Covert Art
When you update covert art, refresh visible thumbnail immediately
right now it wait for a couple of write metadata before refresh catch up.
so we have no confirmation we used right image.

-----

Right click > Link > Google etc
Right now only search by artist. Could be nice to search for artist & album name

-----

Rigth click on multiple album > Group as a single release.

Why ?
MC is a bit peculiar in that it need both "album artist" and "album" to be the same to have an single album.
album artist sometime is a mess, and album are spread over multiple album in the display view. A quick fix could be to delete album artist information and let auto album artist do it's work. However it does not always work and sometime one need to input something other than empty, like "various artist". 

All that is complicated and i'm pretty sure there are new user that just want album that work and are not spread over 4-12 part

--------

Artist (->linked column)
Use Fuzzy search (like search box) instead of exact match

Artist field is prone to alternative spelling, collaborator, featuring, and, with, & etc ...
Exact match is only somewhat useful

---------

Rigth click > Set this artist as album artist

Auto album artist is very quick to lump album in (Multiple Artist)
witch make artist view less enjoyable

----------

Optionally group multiple disc release like album are grouped under artist. With a swirl and possibly a second screen.

Feature "Group as a single release" described above can help to guide MC while detecting those multi disc release.

If disc have thematic maybe the group can be helped by moving "album title" to a "disc title" field

---------

Device
> Optionaly skip updating metada on connect

Why ? When I connect my phone nexus 4, it warns me about 500 times it failed to update metadata
And that process take 5 minutes before i'm able to change any song

---------

Have named dsp preset & a quick way to view which one we are using.

Example case: I like to use nigth mode on movie during weekday. I would like to avoid it on music.
But option is buried under two menu item so it's easy to forget it.

--------

video > stack

Have the unstaked file open as consecutive entry.
Or have a second screen on click  like the swirl in artist view

----------

video > Rename Move & copy.

It looks like it support moving "sidecar" srt. but only with the same name.
moving movie.mp4 will move movie.srt but not movie.lang.srt
so it leave stuff behind when there's multiple language. movie.en.srt, movie.fr.srt and so on.

« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2015, 01:49:08 am »

Right click > Link > Google etc
Right now only search by artist. Could be nice to search for artist & album name
You can edit the links to search whatever field you want.

Rigth click on multiple album > Group as a single release.

Why ?
MC is a bit peculiar in that it need both "album artist" and "album" to be the same to have an single album.
album artist sometime is a mess, and album are spread over multiple album in the display view. A quick fix could be to delete album artist information and let auto album artist do it's work. However it does not always work and sometime one need to input something other than empty, like "various artist".  

All that is complicated and i'm pretty sure there are new user that just want album that work and are not spread over 4-12 part
I feel like this is because the album is tagged with "Artist" information (e.g. 30 different artists on a 2-disc compilation) that has been placed in the "Album Artist" field incorrectly.

The fix for that would be to use the Move/Copy Fields tool to move that information into the Artist field (where it belongs) and then either let it be a (Multiple Artists) album, or enter a specific value.

Auto album artist is very quick to lump album in (Multiple Artist)
witch make artist view less enjoyable
This used to work reasonably well.
Then Matt decided that any album with more than one Artist listed, automatically = (Multiple Artists)
Previously, it would use the first artist that appeared on all tracks.

I have a post outlining how to not only fix this, but make it much smarter than it previously was: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90696

Unfortunately, Matt does not seem interested in it.
Personally, I think that MC should do all the heavy-lifting for [Album Artist (auto)]
It should be able to calculate the correct value 90% of the time or more.

Instead, I have had to retag almost my entire library since this stupid change.

Denti

« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2015, 12:51:40 pm »

1. in Theater View: Get [Name] to return the display/category name (as it does in Standard View) instead of the item name.

2. Ignore diacritics for sorting: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81176.0

It is really annoying to have Artists mis-sorted because of an umlaut or accent grave or tilda.

3. Have punctuation and other symbols be sorted *after* (Multiple Artists) but before numbers. Currently I have the band !!! appearing before (Multiple Artists).

rammingspeed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2015, 07:41:21 pm »

EPG Grid view
 - Stabilize view so that is shows the current time window instead of shifting back and forth because a program started at an odd time
 - Stop the Left Arrow from jumping up to the the menu bar
 - At top of EPG list, the UP arrow wrap to bottom of EPG list
 - Assign alternate key combination to jump to menu.
 - Glass Skin, put the grid lines back in the EPG

Arindelle

« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2015, 10:52:16 am »

Quote from: Jim H
Suggest a change that will make MC easier to use (but NOT a feature request). 

You know people, I thought this post was supposed to be quick fixes that would make MC more intuitive?! Most of these things seem to be either gripes or feature suggestions aren't they?

PS - what is the big deal about filling out Album Artist anyways ?-- Album Artist="ArtistA" A being on all tracks or Album Artist="Artist A; or & ArtistB" (A and B are on all tracks, more than one artist is shown and can be split) Album Artist="Various Artists" (or Multiple or whatever you want to consistently use). IMHO,  Album Artist (Auto) is not intuitive ... this is a field that makes another unique key with the album field. Some people will want to do it one way, and some another way ... automatic tagging is (at least most of the time) garbage in/garbage out. Making sure that Album Artist is filled when you rip, or by retagging it immediately solves , problem solved.

I admit though, it is not intuitive how to split things using the separator ";".

So maybe a suggestion could be to have stock out of the box list fields that autopopulate from Album Artist, Artist, Composer, Genre,  etc. and a stock view or two using these could be good for people just getting started or those that don't want to mess with adding their own fields.

PPS- @Rammingspeed what is an "EPG" grid view plz

kstuart

« Reply #309 on: February 16, 2015, 08:29:21 pm »

EPG = Electronic Program Guide (for Television Feature)

Grid View = Rows are TV channels and Columns are Time Slots (8:00, 8:30, etc.)

Arindelle

« Reply #310 on: February 17, 2015, 06:45:29 am »

EPG = Electronic Program Guide (for Television Feature)

Grid View = Rows are TV channels and Columns are Time Slots (8:00, 8:30, etc.)

thx I don't use the TV features :)

rammingspeed

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #311 on: February 17, 2015, 07:48:36 am »

TV Recording duplicate checking

Easy - Add option to NOT check program description for duplicate checking
Maybe not too easy - Add option to check Season / Episode numbers when present.

kstuart

« Reply #312 on: February 19, 2015, 01:24:32 pm »

(1) Bring "Enable/disable ZoneSwitch" toggle up one level into the Zone Menu.

This would save me time/trouble frequently, thanks.

kstuart

« Reply #313 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:57 pm »

(2) In the Windows Explorer right-click context menu support, add a top level "Play with MediaCenter" entry in addition to the existing MediaCenter entry that requires moving the mouse over to a sub menu.

This would be exactly the same as "Play with VLC Media Player" and "Play with Window Media Player" entries already in my context menu.

I use this so often, that even though it only saves a couple of seconds, it would save me hours over the coming years...

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #314 on: February 19, 2015, 02:29:33 pm »

I am really late to this, but *think* this might fit into the one hour limit. (I don't know your coding environment.)

How about a little setup wizard that sets the most common settings? You know, like:

Now we can walk through the basic setups to help customize MC for your particular system. Please turn connect and turn on any external equipment, like hard drives, DACs, etc.

1. We have picked [internal audio device] as your default modem. You can change it by selecting one of the choices below.
   1. External DAC (Reports as xxxxSuperDac connected via USB)
   2. Airplay Destination (clicking will show you a list of possibilities)

Now we will setup how your music plays back. We have initialized all your settings to play back music files in a "bit perfect" manner. You can choose a few options below.

1. Enable DSD playback
   2. Transcode all the playback to DSD
   3. Upsample all output o 24/192K
   4. Restore default "Bit Perfect" output

Now we will select how you set the volume during playback of your music
   1. Use the computer volume control (system)
   2. Control volume through MC
   3. Set volume to maximum and disable all volume control

Now let's select where you keep your music files and have MC import them for you!
   1. Scan all attached disks
   2. Select a folders to add to the scanned list
   3. etc. etc.

I am pretty sure it would not take all that long to write up and code, though I guess like everything else, it would go
through some amount of review and revilement.

Denti

« Reply #315 on: February 20, 2015, 09:41:49 pm »

1. in Theater View: Get [Name] to return the display/category name (as it does in Standard View) instead of the item name.

I want to clarify this request. In a category view in Standard View the field [Name] takes on the identity of the category at whatever level of navigation you're at. That is SO totally cool! But it doesn't function this way in Theater View, which is a bummer. Would it be possible to either a) make it function this way in Theater View or b) create a new field that would do the same thing in Theater View? I would think that this would be fairly easy to do, since it already exists in one View.

Please please pretty please  :-*

ypslon

• Recent member
Too Easy
« Reply #316 on: February 22, 2015, 09:15:32 pm »

I use MC only for audio. To add any music as favourite I need to go to view, navigation, add to favourites. Next thing is to name it. It would be nice to assume the name of the music = favourite, nicer if the whole thing were available from a right click.

Most of the times I have MC minimized. Rating from the system tray would be great.

kstuart

« Reply #317 on: February 23, 2015, 11:50:39 am »

Quote from: dziemian
Please make some extra effort to improve subtitles. I know english spoken people watch mostly english spoken movies and TV series  but the rest of the world uses extensively subtitles in native languages. At the moment  I have to set up subtitle's size and location every time I watch a new episode or a movie. I can not set them up permamently. I can not delay or move subtitles forward if there is any post-processing delay. These chanages would be minor but very important to all the people who use subtitles for foreign movies.

This was posted to a build release thread minutes before it was closed.

If all this is true, I would think that making subtitle size and location "sticky" would be less than an hour.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2015, 04:35:28 pm »

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2015, 02:23:28 pm »

When searching for season-cover-art, MC should automatically remove leading zero from the query.
For instance if i want to get the cover-arts for "SeriesXY" it should search for "SeriesXY - Season 1", even if the value of the season field is 01, because the query "SeriesXY - Season 01" will not find anything(In contrast to "Get Movie & TV info" which seems to return same information with or without leading zeroes).
I know there is a feature that allows to remove leading zeros from library fields but I would like to keep them(For the purpose of file naming). Thus the result of the leading zero removal should be used only for the query, but not written to the library.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2015, 02:57:59 pm »

(2) In the Windows Explorer right-click context menu support, add a top level "Play with MediaCenter" entry in addition to the existing MediaCenter entry that requires moving the mouse over to a sub menu.

This would be exactly the same as "Play with VLC Media Player" and "Play with Window Media Player" entries already in my context menu.

I use this so often, that even though it only saves a couple of seconds, it would save me hours over the coming years...

I have this already, and thought it is the norm if the filetype is associated with MC  ?

kstuart

« Reply #321 on: April 16, 2015, 03:30:22 pm »

I have this already, and thought it is the norm if the filetype is associated with MC  ?
I don't have filetypes associated with MC - for various reasons discussed at length by other people in older threads.... but... I might associate them just to not have to go into the sub-menu. :)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #322 on: April 16, 2015, 03:31:09 pm »

When searching for season-cover-art, MC should automatically remove leading zero from the query.
For instance if i want to get the cover-arts for "SeriesXY" it should search for "SeriesXY - Season 1", even if the value of the season field is 01, because the query "SeriesXY - Season 01" will not find anything(In contrast to "Get Movie & TV info" which seems to return same information with or without leading zeroes).
I know there is a feature that allows to remove leading zeros from library fields but I would like to keep them(For the purpose of file naming). Thus the result of the leading zero removal should be used only for the query, but not written to the library.

Along this same line ... MC will treat a TV Show in Season 1 Episode 07 as a different Show than if listed as Season 1 Episode 7. I noticed this a week or so ago when one of my TV Show series ended up in a new "Unallocated" folder (or whatever the term is) in Theater View, because the OTA recording had saved it as Episode 7, and all my other shows were Episodes 01, 02, 03, 04 etc.

Or maybe it is vise-versa. (I'm writing this from memory now).

Did some setting change (in a new version install) - or is this just the first time this came up for me?

kstuart

« Reply #323 on: April 16, 2015, 05:05:41 pm »

So you have "folder" associated with MC ?

I often play folders in Windows Explorer using MC.

kstuart

« Reply #324 on: April 16, 2015, 05:16:58 pm »

I have this already, and thought it is the norm if the filetype is associated with MC  ?
Okay, here is a thread about the file type association problem and why even glynor does not associate files with MC (ignore the thread title - as mentioned later, it is not just in XP):

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73276.0

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #325 on: April 17, 2015, 07:28:12 am »

is there a way to view the "audio options" from theatre view?  and the "audio options" ...can it be rejigged so that it is somewhere that is not nested in some sub-menu?  I mean really that is the only thing I ever mess with (the rest is set and forget) because I often switch audio devices.

kstuart

« Reply #326 on: April 17, 2015, 11:25:54 am »

is there a way to view the "audio options" from theatre view?  and the "audio options" ...can it be rejigged so that it is somewhere that is not nested in some sub-menu?  I mean really that is the only thing I ever mess with (the rest is set and forget) because I often switch audio devices.
MC20 has "Zones", where you can set a Zone for each audio device.  Then all you have to do is switch Zones.

For example, I have a stereo Zone which uses my stereo-only USB DAC, and a video Zone which uses the built-in 5.1 surround sound DAC.

See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #327 on: July 23, 2015, 08:17:02 pm »

A very simple request.

A Refresh or Reload button for Gizmo or JRemote. Other DLNA control points have this so that if new files are added and JRiver see's them you can refresh and see them now. Seems to be an issue with both of those apps  not seeing new stuff even hours after...

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • When Summer comes...
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:08 pm »

A very simple request.

A Refresh or Reload button for Gizmo or JRemote. Other DLNA control points have this so that if new files are added and JRiver see's them you can refresh and see them now. Seems to be an issue with both of those apps  not seeing new stuff even hours after...

Probably the wrong topic for this, Too Easy II for MC 21 is open!
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2024 Update (24H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2024 Update (24H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/500GB M.2 NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | iFi ZEN DAC 3 | JBL 306P MkII Studio Monitors | Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up