INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request: avoiding asio reset on same input format  (Read 1111 times)

marcob

• Recent member
Feature request: avoiding asio reset on same input format
« on: November 07, 2014, 03:10:05 pm »

Hi.
I know that this was tried with unlucky results, but I think this is VERY important, using dacs, to avoid unnecessary dac input format switching, potential source of glitches and pops.
With "unnecessary" I mean situations when the next (implicit or explicit) track is of the same type of the current one, and when up (or down) sampling is configured.
And (probably subsequent implementation) the possibility, in up/down sampling situation, to have crossfading correctly functioning among different input format tracks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature request: avoiding asio reset on same input format
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 03:11:04 pm »

If the format stays the same, there won't be a hardware reset.  It will see a continuous stream from one file to the next.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marcob

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:14:01 pm »

Matt, sorry if I used wrong term. I meant open/close.
I see open/close for each track, in the log, even in up/down sapmpling. And you told me the same in another post... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92584.msg637638#msg637638

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:47:42 pm »

If the sample rate changes, the device will be reopened.  If the sample rate stays the same, it'll be continuous.  You can force the sample rate to stay the same by using DSP Studio > Output Format > Sample rate.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marcob

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 04:21:48 pm »

Are you sure that it happens with output format 2/4xdsd native?
I can't test it again 'cause my da8 currently is at Amanero, but I'm quite sure that with a mixed playlist (flac,mp3,dsd), output format 2xdsd native (DSP studio), the logfile indicated asio open/close for each track (or, at least, on each track format change).
In the 3d I linked, I wrote the same thing, about upsampling, and Hendrik confirmed the situation (and you, also...).

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 04:44:35 pm »

DSD encoding mode is special, if the input format changes at all, it needs to be re-opened right now.
We will try to fix that, but there is no ETA, and since its a known thing, no reason to keep posting request threads about it =)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marcob

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 05:05:23 pm »

I'm quite sure it happens changing from mp3 to flac or viceversa, not only on dsd.
But, sorry, I thought that formalizing this request it was a way to "push" it... :-[
Amanero is climbing glasses, to reduce the possibility of glitches/pops due to switching, but they told me that it is very difficult because is a "patch", not a real solution, 'cause it implies waiting after a close (how long?) to check the new open (same parameters? no switch. But data loss risk...) . The solution is to avoid unnecessary switch situation from the player (not only for dacs with Amanero card).
Thanks guys.
Marco
Pages: [1]   Go Up