INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View: Any way to modify the display name of a category?  (Read 3282 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
Theater View: Any way to modify the display name of a category?
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:12:12 am »

I was asked by Denti to revisit this problem, as they still don't have a solution: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=90217
That topic is quite convoluted, so I've tried to break down the problem as much as possible.
As far as I can tell, there is currently no way in Media Center to achieve what they are trying to do, and the easiest solution for it would appear to be modifying the category name in Theater View.

In Standard View, you can easily modify the category name by using [Name] in your Thumbnail expression.
In Theater View though, [Name] does not modify the category name, but operates on the track names in that category instead.

For example if your category displays: Lastname, Firstname
You can use the expression: Replace(ListClean([Name], 2, /,), /,, / ) to swap them around in Standard View.
This expression does not work at all in Theater View though, since [Name] operates on the track name and not the category name.

Here's an example showing this in Standard View:

As you can see, it's easy to sort by one value, and display another.

Now in many instances there are other ways to work around this, but Denti is using lists for the category names, not a single item.

In Theater View if I group by the expression:
Code: [Select]
[All Artists (last name)]&datatype=[list]Then it groups correctly and sorts in the right order, but displays the last name first:

If I use [Name] in "Expression to Display" then it displays track names, not the category names:

If I use
Code: [Select]
[All Artists (last name)]&datatype=[list] as the "Expression to Display" then it displays the full list:

As far as I can tell there is no way to modify the category name in Theater View, and I can't think of an easier way to display the names in the right order.
I have attached three dummy files to my post with sample tags based on Denti's tagging scheme.
Any ideas? Perhaps a new expression that lets us operate on the displayed category name?

Arindelle

Re: Theater View: Any way to modify the display name of a category?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 02:41:44 pm »

Sort of doubt that I can help if you haven't found a way to do this, 623,  but I'll take a look

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:27:30 pm »

Just to be clear, you aren't trying to change the label displayed for the Category (as in Artists, or Albums, or whatever) you are trying to change the text that is displayed for individual items, while sorting via another method, right?

Assuming I understand correctly, there is no way, like with Tile-style Categories in Standard View, to sort them other than ascending alpha-numerically.  However, I think you could use the Hidden Text trick.  Not perfect, but might work in this instance.  Give it a shot.

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 08:55:28 pm »

If I am reading correctly, the fundamental issue appears that in the context used above telling it to use [Name] displays [Filename (name)] instead of [Name].

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 01:45:05 am »

Just to be clear, you aren't trying to change the label displayed for the Category (as in Artists, or Albums, or whatever) you are trying to change the text that is displayed for individual items, while sorting via another method, right?
I suppose it depends how you refer to it. The category is "Artists" so I'm trying to modify the artist names that are being displayed.

Assuming I understand correctly, there is no way, like with Tile-style Categories in Standard View, to sort them other than ascending alpha-numerically.  However, I think you could use the Hidden Text trick.  Not perfect, but might work in this instance.  Give it a shot.
I'm not sure how, since it's pulling data from a list.

If I am reading correctly, the fundamental issue appears that in the context used above telling it to use [Name] displays [Filename (name)] instead of [Name].
Sorry, I wasn't clear. It's displaying track names rather than file names. (my fault, track name and file name were the same)
But the issue is that [Name] is displaying those instead of the "category" name. (or "item" depending on how you look at it)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 06:41:45 am »

I'm not sure how, since it's pulling data from a list.

Doh!  Neglected to consider that detail.

Yep.  Can't do it any way I can think of.  MrC could maybe have come up with something super clever, but I'm not sure.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:44:39 am »

:-[ on my end  .. FAIL. Sorry I should have known better  :-[

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 06:55:55 am »

I wonder, would it be considered a bug that [Name] is returning the item name instead of the display name (as it does in Standard View) or could a new expression type allow the display name to be modified?
Pages: [1]   Go Up