INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pono Music World 20.0.36 Mac version -- Available Here  (Read 13643 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Pono Music World 20.0.36 Mac version -- Available Here
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:59:40 pm »

This is the latest build of PonoMusic World for Mac OSX, for testing purposes only.  Please do not share it with others.

20.0.36 (11/13/2014)
http://files.jriver.com/ponotest/PonoMusicWorld200036.dmg

This build fixes the crash shortly after startup on OSX 10.6.8 systems.

1. Fixed: Forward/Back buttons not working in certain views.
2. Fixed: Pono store support page links were not working.
3. Fixed: Embedded browser was showing a web engine error message while it was simply loading a web page.
4. Changed: Default music path template on PonoPlayer devices changed from [Artist]/[Album] to [Album Artist (auto)]/[Album].
5. Changed: Allow users to sync multiple file types of the same song to their PonoPlayer device.
6. Changed: PMW now scans entire PonoPlayer device for audio files, rather than just under \Music.
7. Changed: EULA text modified with additional Pono trademark protection.
8. Changed: Added to URL whitelist: facebook.net and artcdnsecure.ribob01.net.
9. Fixed: Import of files not from the Pono store was slower than it needed to be.
10. Fixed: The minimize, close, and maximize buttons didn't respond to mouse movement properly.
11. Fixed: The sync action window wouldn't size properly.
12. Fixed: The Build Playlist Action Window would cut off the bottom text in Retina mode.
13. Fixed: Web browser state (including login) was not saved when going between the store web page and other parts of PMW.
14. Changed: Changed the "Home" icon in the web page controls at upper left to something more suitable.
15. Changed: Added a "Refresh" icon to the web page controls at upper left.
16. Fixed: Occasional crashes when rapidly clicking the web browser back/forward buttons.
17. Fixed: Crashes shortly after startup on OSX 10.6.8.
18. Fixed: Newly shown web pages did not have focus until user clicked on something.
19. NEW: PMW now checks for open orders at startup time.  The process is silent unless open orders are found.

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

cgiammona

• Recent member
Re: Pono Music World 20.0.36 Mac version -- Available Here
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:31 pm »

Thanks.  Will start testing tonight.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:17:54 pm »

I login when starting PMW20, but I seem to be required to login once more after clicking
on PonoMusic World sidebar item.  Can it be made to use a single login?

When clicking on the Sidebar item "PonoMusic World" and clicking to login I find that
I cannot paste my password (copied from my password manager software) into the password
field using Command-V.  Likewise I cannot paste into this field using the Edit-->Paste
menu item.  However it is possible to paste to the field using Right-Click from mouse
(or rather from trackpad in my case).

When selecting Help --> Contents I am taken to http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Main_Page
which is about JRiver MediaCenter.  Assume that not all of these MC options are available
in PonoMusic World 20.  I recommend that Help --> Contents to take the user to specific pages titled
"PonoMusic World 20."  Perhaps that comes later....  

In the Help menu,  Contents are said to be available via F1, but nothing seems to
happen when I click fn-F1 from my laptop keyboard.

The double arrow ("Previous") to the left of the mainPlay/Pause Icon will take player
just to the beginning of the current track.  Clicking the left double arrow twice quickly
in succession does not seem to select Previous Track -- except occasionally.

App does not quit when using Command-Q from keyboard.  App exits normally when using
PonoMusic World 20 --> Quit menu option.
App will exit properly when sending Command -Q while using the Finder's
App Selector (via Command-Tab).

Mac Users will expect to find "About PonoMusic World..." under the PonoMusic World 20 Menu
item rather than under Help Menu.

When PWM20 is started without DAC, the app correctly gives error message.  
If DAC is subsequently connected while PMW20 is still running, music will then play but user cannot control volume.
Keyboard volume keys will move the Apps volume slider, but does not change volume.
Restarting App with DAC in place solves this (user created!) problem.

The name of the App is PonoMusic World 20 and the sidebar item which takes you to the
Pono Store is similarly called PonoMusic World which is confusing.  I would expect this
sidebar item to say "Pono Store", or similar.  I realize that this is taking me to
the website and I could in principle navigate to the Pono Community -- but will we need to
visit community from within the app?  Maybe the application should be something like
"PonoMusic World Desktop?"

I'm impressed that we are getting so many features in PMW20!!!  

Basic library import and play worked well.  Mac users who also use Windows will feel at home in the
general design of the app.  But users without this dual OS experience may experience the app to be
"harder to use than it really is." At least at first.  Once they get used to, they'll really enjoy its
functionality.

UPS seems to have lost my Pono Player.  Hope to have it next week.  Sigh.

cgiammona

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 10:21:42 am »

Okay, hope other Mac users are having better success then me:

1. Transfer of music files, creating playlists, syncing playlists are still painfully slow
2. When I start up the player and go into music transfer mode, everything works well.  The problem starts when I say done and then want to add more files or create playlists - it is if I havve to unplug the player and start all over - otherwise, my changes and additions don't sync
3. Ejecting the player does not work - either from within the software of even from the Mac finder.  Which seems strange as it appears the player is using Android software - similar to AK240 and Fiio.  I am going to test the Android File Transfer Application to see if it can recognize the data.
4. Another user posted that Mac users will get use to this interface, but it seems so un-Mac like.

More to come as I examine and test more of the features today.

Chris

cgiammona

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 11:33:50 am »

Day two - a different approach - set-up everything before plugging in the player

Started by importing music, created all playlists, then plugged in the player and synced - all went well.  I think it works best if you go into the left pane, click on Pono player and devices and after it loads the data, syncing from there.

Still eject does not work.  Even ejecting form the finder delivers the message that your device was not ejected properly - every time - needs an update.

Still not a Mac optimized application.

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 01:48:44 pm »

Still not a Mac optimized application.
We're only interested in bugs at this point.

Style is a big subject and not part of the beta process.

cgiammona

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 02:40:47 pm »

When importing a large number of files (over 100) at one time, completely crashed my Mac.    Is there a size limit to importing that anyone else has run into?

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 05:14:03 pm »

cgiammona, when you say "import", did you mean moving files from PMW20 to the Pono Player?  Or does it crash when simply importing tracks into the PMW20 Library? 

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 05:30:37 pm »

When I launch PMW20, the application window always comes up behind the currently running application.  E.g. Chrome is active and its window is in the foreground, I open the Application folder and launch PMW20, then the PMW20 main window opens behind Chrome.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 05:38:00 pm »

When selecting a track and clicking the "Play" Arrow from within the PMW20 application, the music does not start at the beginning.  Also there is sometimes a stutter at the beginning of playback (within PMW20) where the sound starts, stops and then restarts.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 05:43:40 pm »

When selecting a track and clicking the "Play" Arrow from within the PMW20 application, the music does not start at the beginning.  Also there is sometimes a stutter at the beginning of playback (within PMW20) where the sound starts, stops and then restarts.
That may be a problem with the DAC.  Under audio options in PMW, you can tell it to play a little silence first.  This may solve the problem.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 09:59:51 pm »

That may be a problem with the DAC.  Under audio options in PMW, you can tell it to play a little silence first.  This may solve the problem.
Thanks, I set the initial silence to be 1/4 second this solves the problem.

cgiammona

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 09:30:21 pm »

cgiammona, when you say "import", did you mean moving files from PMW20 to the Pono Player?  Or does it crash when simply importing tracks into the PMW20 Library? 

Moving files from PMW20 to the Pono player.  After 4 attempts, all of the files are there.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »

When a track is playing normally in PMW 20.0.36 and I navigate to a different track (encoded at a different sample rate) and then double click, the player no longer produces sound.

E.g. I'm playing a 44.1/16 track.  While this track is playing, I double click on a 88.2/24 track.  Sound stops.  The waveform/spectrograph is still displayed and the progress bar moves to the right.  But no sound is produced, either on the 88.2/24 track or any subsequent track that I select and play.

I can recover by quitting and restarting PMW20.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 12:32:29 pm »

When a track is playing normally in PMW 20.0.36 and I navigate to a different track (encoded at a different sample rate) and then double click, the player no longer produces sound.

E.g. I'm playing a 44.1/16 track.  While this track is playing, I double click on a 88.2/24 track.  Sound stops.  The waveform/spectrograph is still displayed and the progress bar moves to the right.  But no sound is produced, either on the 88.2/24 track or any subsequent track that I select and play.

I can recover by quitting and restarting PMW20.

This is an intermittent problem.  Today, over an extended session, this didn't happen at all.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 12:43:00 pm »

When logging into the Pono Store from within PMW20, selecting the "remember login name" option does not remember login name on subsequent visits.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 01:28:53 pm »

When I switch to the Pono Store ( via the PonoMusic World item in the sidebar)  sound from the album preview does not come through my DAC (I have PMW20 options set to playback through my AQ Dragonfly USB DAC).  However I can hear the preview track playing back through my laptop's internal speakers.

Music played from my Music Library plays through the DAC as specified in options.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »

Finally got my Pono Player from UPS!  I rewatched the introductory videos.
Below are not bugs.... but I'm just giving you my naiive first experience
with the Player+PMW20 combination.

My first interest was to back up the albums that came loaded on the player.
I wanted to do this first.  Did not want to accidentally lose them or corrupt
them since I still don't know what I'm doing.

There was not obvious way to do this.  Importing them to a Music Library
would not actually back them up, true?  So after some time, I exited from
PMW20 and copied the files via Finder to my computer.  Am I doing this
as intended?

When the Pono Player is attached via USB, it seems like only the player's
built in memory is visible.  Does this mean that PMW20 manages how
music transfer's are handled across internal memory and whatever
microSD cards are inserted?  I was unclear on this so I resorted to the
Finder in order to copy files to the microSD card.  Am I thinking about
this in the right way, or can I utilize PMW20 features to manage both
internal and microSD memory?

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 03:37:55 pm »

When the Options popup window is displayed, it floats over windows from all the applications running at the time.
For example I thought to ask whether the WMDM option is meaningful (on Mac OS) as one of the options
for configuring Pono Player synchronization.  However the popup window blocks the web browser window I had
opened to do this.

Suggest that PMW20 option windows be set only to obscure other PMW20 windows.

And -- I don't how this came about -- but I currently see two windows running for
PMW20.  There is the main window, but also a small separate window into the Pono
Store.  The Pono Store window cannot be grabbed and moved.  However it is functional
and allows me to navigate albums, look at my account info, go to the forums and etc.
Since there is no Window menu, I suspect this is spurious.   Image attached.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 04:17:12 pm »

When I finish transferring music from the Music Library to Pono, I click on the option that says "Eject" in the transfer window -- i.e. the section in the side bar where you drag and drop file and where the transfer progress indicator appears.
After Ejecting the device in this way I disconnect the Pono Player from USB, but the OS informs me that it has not been
ejected.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 11:23:55 pm »

When I finish transferring music from the Music Library to Pono, I click on the option that says "Eject" in the transfer window -- i.e. the section in the side bar where you drag and drop file and where the transfer progress indicator appears.
After Ejecting the device in this way I disconnect the Pono Player from USB, but the OS informs me that it has not been
ejected.

Looking at the drives mounted in the Finder, I see that the Pono Device is ejected by PMW20.  It's the microSD card which doesn't get ejected, so when I unplug the player I think its the microSD card OS is complaining about.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 04:26:18 pm »

I had my first crash with PMW20 and used Apple's crash reporter to report.  I also kept the error log if you should need it.

The Pono Player was plugged in and and I was beginning to transfer music.  The time estimate for one album was given as 58 minutes and so decided to hit Cancel. The transfer cancelled, and then I selected Eject from the ‘action window’.  When I then unplugged the player, the OS advised, via  two notifications, that I had failed to eject the device(s).  Then, PMW20 crashed with this error (excerpt):
Crashed Thread:        22

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000004d555448

VM Regions Near 0x4d555448:
-->
    __TEXT                 0000000100000000-0000000101595000 [ 21.6M] r-x/rwx SM=COW  /Applications/PonoMusic World 20.app/Contents/MacOS/PonoMusic World 20

Edit:  I restarted PMW20 and then tried this again. It's working this time and time estimate is given as 10 minutes.  One thing I did notice is that when I plug in the player it immediately asks if I want to transfer music.  I hit "Yes" right away and then clicked "Sync Handheld" in PMW20 -- which at first said that no handheld was connected.  The after a few seconds the Transfer window (action window?) appeared and I started over again.  So perhaps the first time around I didn't establish a good communication between player and PMW20?  Or perhaps, what happens is that the player immediately prompts for music transfer, but the OS hasn't had time to mount the drive(s)...

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 04:43:37 pm »

After I hit "Done" (after transferring music to player) it doesn't seem like I can eject the pono player from PMW20.
I navigate to "PonoPlayer, Drives, and Devices and select PonoPlayer (/Volumes/PONOPLAYER) on the side bar.  And then I click "Eject" in the main pane on the right hand side.  But player does not eject.

I need to eject player from within PMW20 before I click "Done" on the Player?  I guess that's it....

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 12:38:19 pm »

Well, I'm not using half of what is in PMW20; I discover new features everyday.  Soon I will need to read the manual and start using the help files.  :-)

My biggest daily problem, now that I'm used to the overall flow of the UI, is managing the microSD card.  For example, how do I create a playlist that draws both from the pono player's main memory as well as from the microSD card? Boggled by this.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 01:46:03 pm »

I cancelled a transfer from PMW20 to the pono player and then PMW20 exited with this error.

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT
I sent error via Apple crash reporter but saved the complete error log if you'd like to have it.

Along with Crash, OSX reported that PonoPlayer was disconnected without ejecting.  It then gave me the
option to Force Eject, but advised that an application was still using it.  No idea if this was referring to
PMW20 or not... but can't think of any other application (other than Finder) that would be accessing it.
Another dialog pops up and says, "Are you sure you want to eject PonoPlayer?" and "Ejecting the disk might cause problems with the disk or the information on it."  But at this point I just confirm the Force Eject ... not sure what
else to do.

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 09:02:18 pm »

After transferring music from PMW20 to Pono Player, I right click on the "PonoPlayer, Drives, and Devices" item in the sidebar and thenright click to eject the PonoPlayer.  OS notifies me that PonoPlayer cannot be ejected since it is in use by PMW20 and to please exit PMW20 before ejecting. I go to PMW20 to quit, but application is hung and am unable to quit.  I end the session by force quitting PMW20 from Finder.

Ejecting PonoPlayer is a problem in every case I've tried.  Though this is perhaps the most obviously self referential case.

InfernoSTi

• Recent member
  • Hawthorne Audio Reference Speakers
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 08:49:24 pm »

Jim et al at JRiver...you guys are the boss!!!  Thanks a bundle...

John

channel-1

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 10:44:33 am »

When I connect my Pono Player to my computer's USB port -- and PMW20 is
not running -- then the player and the additional microSD card mount and
can be accessed via Finder, as soon as I click "Yes" to transfer music.

When I connect my Pono Player to my computer's USB port -- and PMW20 is
already running -- then the player and the additional microSD card fail
to mount on the first try, even though I click "Yes" to transfer music.

Also if I always eject (Pono Player and SD Card) from the Finder
BEFORE CLICKING ON "DONE", then drives always eject normally with no error messages.
So glad!

For the first time, I am able to see both the Pono Player and SD Card in PMW20 by:
1. Connect Pono Player to USB, Click Yes to transfer music, and then wait for device and card to mount in Finder
2. Launch PMW20
3. Navigate to PonoPlayer, Drives, and Devices in PMW20
4. Both the PonoPlayer and SD Card are shown!

Even in this case, in PMW20, the Pono Player appears twice as shown in attachment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up