INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change tv series image  (Read 2725 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
How to change tv series image
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:03:50 pm »

Hi,

Is there any way in which I can change the main image belonging to a tv series? I seem to have ended up with many a series which have the correct thumbnails for the individual episodes but the wrong image for the entire series (the image you see in TheaterView). In my case MC usually picked a banner for the image instead of the old XBMC poster. I tried changing it in the tag window but ended up with that image also being added to every individual episode, so I had to change them all back again.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to change tv series image
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:45:45 pm »

In Standard View, right-click the series and choose Cover Art → Get From Internet.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 08:37:10 pm »

In Standard View, right-click the series and choose Cover Art → Get From Internet.

I concur and would add to this, especially for those new to the scene, that the tagged value in [Series] needs to match that listed at thetvdb.com ... exactly.

That's a very likely reason for getting the wrong image when a scrape is done. This is especially true when a series name is refreshed or different series are produced with the same series name, e.g. old school Dr Who is tagged as "Dr Who", whereas the new series shows up as "Dr Who (2005)".
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 03:24:39 am »

Thanks for the suggestion but that does not do it. The TV series I am talking about have all got the right information from the various Internet sources, by which I mean that they all have the right episode info as well as the images that belong to each episode. What goes wrong is the cover art for the entire series.

All the problematic series are imports from XBMC and for all of them I actually have the right cover art (called "poster" in XBMC), I just can't get MC to load, nor can I figure out how to load ONLY the image for the series and not touch the individual episodes.

I guess I could just delete everything from MC, remove all the existing images and re-import but I would not want to loose the watched status.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 03:29:09 am »

Doesn't fit with my experience. Sorry, I can't offer much more.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 05:47:26 am »

It should be displaying a prompt like the attached image, which will let you choose the series/season art.

You can manually set it via: %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 20\Cover Art\Series\
Just add or replace a JPG file in that folder with the exact series name.

I do think that Media Center should have options in the "Cover Art" menu to select a local file for any of the "cover art types" if the file has a value in that field. E.g. Artist, Genre, Seasons, Series.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 10:22:12 am »

Thanks 6233638, that is very helpful. Could you elaborate a little on your image "Choose Cover art". What do you have to do in order to see that? When I go to Standard View and choose Shows, I see my series but in order to call up the "Get cover art" option I need to highlight an individual episode and if I then choose new cover art it gets attached to the individual episode, NOT to the image you see for the whole series.

PS. The manual method works fine.

fredele

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 10:46:01 am »

To complete the answers, you can set the folder where your "Cover art" are.

Go to  option > File Location > Cover art > Folder

I've putted mine on the same disk as my movie - series  video files so that I cannot lost them if the system has to be reinstalled ..

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 01:49:57 pm »

Thanks 6233638, that is very helpful. Could you elaborate a little on your image "Choose Cover art". What do you have to do in order to see that? When I go to Standard View and choose Shows, I see my series but in order to call up the "Get cover art" option I need to highlight an individual episode and if I then choose new cover art it gets attached to the individual episode, NOT to the image you see for the whole series.
It may depend how you have your views configured. I right-click on the series in my view.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 03:05:58 am »

That is a good idea Fredele although I would hope that the folder is part of the regular backups that MC makes every two days or so. I am making good progress with adding cover art directly to the folder but I do think users should be offered an easy way to directly add cover art to a series. The method suggested earlier of choosing the cover art by right clicking the series is, unless I still misunderstand, deeply flawed, because it will only let you get cover art for individual episodes, not the much coveted "poster" that belongs to the series as a whole. Even when I select every episode of a series and then get cover art from the internet for the whole series, it still only adds images for the episodes and NOT what XBMC used to call the "season-all-poster". In fact there seems to be no way in MC to specifically select this cover art apart from the method suggested earlier of copying it straight into the cover art folder. In my case things only work as expected with brand new series, for these MC does collect all the relevant cover art. Maybe I have stumbled on a bug in MC20?

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 09:04:14 am »

That is a good idea Fredele although I would hope that the folder is part of the regular backups that MC makes every two days or so.
Media Center only backs up the database. Other files like cover art are not backed up.

I am making good progress with adding cover art directly to the folder but I do think users should be offered an easy way to directly add cover art to a series. The method suggested earlier of choosing the cover art by right clicking the series is, unless I still misunderstand, deeply flawed, because it will only let you get cover art for individual episodes, not the much coveted "poster" that belongs to the series as a whole. Even when I select every episode of a series and then get cover art from the internet for the whole series, it still only adds images for the episodes and NOT what XBMC used to call the "season-all-poster".
"Get movie & TV Info" is what downloads episode artwork.
"Get cover art from internet" should be getting series/season artwork. If it is not, check that your files are correctly tagged with the Media Sub Type as "TV Show" with Series/Season information.

IIn fact there seems to be no way in MC to specifically select this cover art apart from the method suggested earlier of copying it straight into the cover art folder.
This should only be necessary if you don't like the artwork that TVDB has for a series.
I do wish that there was an option to add series/season artwork from a file though.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:29 pm »

6233638 that is the answer I was hoping for, thanks a lot! I do think it is a little counter-intuitive to load cover art via individual episodes of a series, but so be it. I am glad you managed to clarify that.

I also discovered shortly after writing that cover art and such is not included in a backup. I can see why but that does mean regular ordinary backups of the database + art are important.

I agree that it would be helpful if series art could be loaded directly from file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up