INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: INTERESTING TWIST ON HANGING ISSUE  (Read 1030 times)

adlelare

• World Citizen
INTERESTING TWIST ON HANGING ISSUE
« on: November 17, 2014, 03:51:52 pm »

.. so in my quest to figure out the problems of JRiver hanging, today i had 4 different devices playing movies via Gizmo, then i played a movie on my main TV via HTPC (very direct HDMI out to HDMI receiver to HDMI TV), the movie i was playing was a .ts file and within about 25 minutes (which i notice is the typical hang period and i know it hangs when it stops playing on the tablet i keep next to me) JRiver went into continuous hang...this .ts file was one that was PVR'ing using JRiver that never stopped recording (a one hour became three hours) and ended when i shut off the HTPC... now these are very high kbps (15000) and "oddly" JRiver's own media editer won't open the file for editing.  does not ending a PVR properly make them unusable and compound other problems.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: INTERESTING TWIST ON HANGING ISSUE
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 07:57:05 pm »

Shutting off the HTPC while a program is recording in TS format probably does break the TS file. I don't use TS, but my understanding is that it records in one large file, so basically you have killed MC while it is writing to the TS file, which will corrupt the file. How much of that file should be viewable I'll leave for someone else, but maybe 25 minutes is the usual time for the TS format? I would expect it to be random actually, or almost all the file, but I don't know.

Anyway, when you have a runaway recording next time, try this to see if it helps.
1. Change to the channel that is still being recorded.
2. Hit the Stop button on your remote.
3. Change to another TV channel (via the Guide or with channel up/down) and view it for a moment.
4. Hit the Record button on the channel playing.
5. Hit the stop button with one minute of starting the new recording.

This should stop the runaway recording, but leave the TS file intact. The short recording you started and stopped should be discarded by MC as it was too short. I think there is a minimum recording time for a recording to be kept, and I think it is two minutes. But I could be thinking of my previous PVR or something regarding that. Whatever, if you get a very short recording, just delete it.

I still have no idea why you get MC hangs. I don't, ever, unless I am doing something really strange on the HTPC, and even then it usually comes back if I wait. Sometimes I need to stop playing everything for it to recover though, and if I have a problem a usually reboot the HTPC to clear out any problems.
I don't know why you get runaway recordings either. I have had a few, and there hasn't been any reason I could identify. They have usually happened when I was doing long recordings though, like for sports events that last for a few hours, plus I have added Padding to the recording of an hour or so.

Keep trying to identify the causes though. It will be something specific, and possibly not caused by MC, but by some hardware, or other software, or the load on the CPU or network or something like that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up