INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: creating a new folder under video  (Read 2627 times)

riccà

• Recent member
creating a new folder under video
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:22:50 pm »

Hi, I apologize in advance for my question: maybe it has been already discussed but I didn't find the thread.
Ok, I would like to create a new folder under video to keep all my musical videos.
I did it and renamed it but I don't know how to do to make it shows only the musical videos.
How can I do it?
Thanks
Riccardo

riccà

• Recent member
Re: creating a new folder under video
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:52:02 am »

Toc toc....
Is there anybody that can help me?
 ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 09:57:45 am »

Try editing the Media Subtype tag.

riccà

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 11:30:14 am »

Try editing the Media Subtype tag.
Excuse me, how?
In the Media Subtype tag I created a new tag in which I put all my music videos but the Music Video folder I created under Video shows all genres instead the only one I want to see

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:36:09 am »

Right-click Video in the tree, and select "Add Library View"
Pick an empty view
In the settings pane, select "Set rules for file display"
Add a rule which is: Media Sub Type is Music Video

Now you should have a view which displays all videos tagged as Music Video.

There are many ways which this view can be customized, but that's a start.

riccà

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 11:44:49 am »

Right-click Video in the tree, and select "Add Library View"
Pick an empty view
In the settings pane, select "Set rules for file display"
Add a rule which is: Media Sub Type is Music Video

Now you should have a view which displays all videos tagged as Music Video.

There are many ways which this view can be customized, but that's a start.

GREAT! I did it!!
Thank you so much
 :D

maid

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:28:00 pm »

Under Audio Files there is a video can this not be customized to have music videos?

Why make a new library view when there is one there already?

I did try to edit but it said it was locked

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 10:15:46 am »

Under Audio Files there is a video can this not be customized to have music videos?

Why make a new library view when there is one there already?

I did try to edit but it said it was locked

There is no video subtype displayed under the Audio Theater View with the standard/default setup. If you have one, perhaps you added it yourself.

IMO, you really don't want to add music videos to the Audio category - but it could be done. Currently under Audio in Theater View, the Media Sub type is setup to display only "Audio" so you would not be able to show "Videos" (music videos), unless you change the parent-level Audio display rules by adding a new rule to "show media type Video" - but then you would have to go into each Audio child-view and add as new a display rules to "not show media type video" or all your albums would be mixed with video.

It's less work to just add the new music-video folder under the parent view/category "Video".

maid

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 06:32:16 pm »

Hi and sorry I should have said under standard view
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

maid

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 03:49:57 am »

I have followed the instructions above but when tagging as audio the video does not play

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:50:22 am »

You should be tagging as Media Type = Video, and Media Sub Type = Music Video.
Unless I am miss understanding what your trying to do.

maid

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 06:23:33 pm »

These still show up in my video section.

How can I get them to just show in the music video folder that I created

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 07:00:49 pm »

The problem is that Media Views are cascading filters, meaning that they inherit the filters applied to their parents:

Each Media View is essentially a saved search, just like a Smartlist, which then allows you to further sub-filter the results using Categories. These saved searches are cascading filters, meaning that the results of a parent View, also limit the results of its children. So, the reason that the views underneath Audio in the tree show only audio files, and not photos and videos, is that the top-level Audio view has a filter that says:

[Media Type]=[Audio]

And likewise for the Images and Video top-level views, each of which is filtered to show their particular Media Types. Since these rules "cascade" to the children of those top-level Views, each sub-view doesn't need its own copy of that part of the search.

So, if you put a View underneath Audio in the Tree for Music Videos, it will always be empty if you use the filter:

[Media Type]=[Video] [Media Sub Type]=[Music Video]

It will always be empty because you're essentially saying:

1. List only Audio files. (This is the filter applied to the top-level Audio View.)
2. Of these files, pick all of the Video files (the [Media Type]=[Video] part of your Music Videos view).

Answer will always be zero files because you can't have a file that is both Audio and Video at the same time.  It never gets as far as filtering it to only show Music Videos, because the potential list is already empty.

So, when you make a hierarchy of views, they always systematically "narrow down" the selection.  For that reason, if you make your own View underneath Audio in the Tree, you don't need to include [Media Type]=[Audio] in it. That's redundant because it is already included in the top-level Audio View.

But...

In Standard View, you can make a particular Child View not inherit the filters of their parents.  In the Edit View dialog under Included Files, uncheck the box that says Use parent scheme rules for file display.  Now, that View will "start fresh" and show all possible files that aren't excluded by its own filters.

This option is not available in Theater Media Views or Network Media Views, so you have to resort to additional trickery to accomplish the same thing there.  But for Standard View, you can just uncheck the box, and then search for whatever you want in the child View, and it'll work as expected.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

maid

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 07:08:18 pm »

Thank you for the explanation, that now shows up.

How do I stop this displaying in my videos (movies section)

maid

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 07:10:42 pm »

do i add a rule media subtype not music video?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 08:05:38 pm »

Yes.  If you want Music Videos to never show underneath the Video view in the Tree, no matter where underneath of it you are, you can add a new rule to that top-level Video view (just right click on it in the tree, and choose Edit View) that is:

[Media Sub Type] is not Music Video

Then since the "children" of Video inherit this search, it will "cascade" down to them and you won't see Music Videos anywhere underneath the Video part of the Tree.

EDIT: I originally messed up [Media Sub Type] for [Media Type] in the example above.  Oops!

maid

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 08:13:40 pm »

perfect thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 10:30:14 pm »

This made me smile! maid you are learning some of MC's cooler abilities, and I know you are not that technically inclined a person, naturally. Great job!

(and big thanks to glynor, as always, for helping you get there).

maid

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 10:53:27 pm »

;D ;D ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 11:16:22 pm »

This made me smile!

It made me smile too!

You could almost "feel" the ah-ha moment through that question, and it was the perfect question to reveal that you really did get it (but wanted to make sure).  Agreed.  Good job.

Pages: [1]   Go Up