INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a "dynamic" smartlist based on People tag  (Read 913 times)

maliceme

• Junior Woodchuck
Creating a "dynamic" smartlist based on People tag
« on: December 05, 2014, 06:43:03 pm »

Hoping the smartlist gurus can point me to a primer and offer some guidance. I'd like to create a "dynamic" smartlist.

Here's what I want to do: Start with a seed song, and have each song that follows link to the preceding song based on a common value in the People field.

Assume all songs list band members in the People tag field.

So, a resulting list might work like this:

Pink Floyd - Echoes [People: David Gilmour, Rick Wright, Nick Mason, Roger Waters]
David Gilmour - Find the Cost of Freedom [People: David Gilmour, Graham Nash, David Crosby]
CSNY - Triad [People: Graham Nash, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Neil Young]
Warren Zevon - Gridlock [People: Warren Zevon, Neil Young]
Hindu Love Gods - Walkin' Blues [People: Warren Zevon, Peter Buck, Mike Mills, Bill Berry]
etc., ad naseum

Best case scenario would be that this list starts with a random song; next best case scenario would be that I have to manually enter a seed song - and see where MC takes it from there.

Thanks!

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Creating a "dynamic" smartlist based on People tag
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:12:17 am »

It's a nice idea, but, while our playing field of possibilities with MC is so vast, it feels limitless at times, it does have boundaries, and you just bumped into one.

It is not possible to build rules based upon the tags of a preceding file, or any other file for that matter. The file tags must meet the critria for that file to be included.

Very often, when you hit a boundary, you can bounce off and find an indirect route to your goal, but in this case, I can't see one... sorry.

Anyone else?

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Creating a "dynamic" smartlist based on People tag
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:51:17 am »

Not dynamic but one can create a view
[people]
[people]
[people]
[people]
add as much as you want.

This builds a tree with the combinations of artist in your collection.
Take a single artist and send him to a playlist
Pages: [1]   Go Up