INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some questions about purchasing the Linux version  (Read 2259 times)

proview

• Recent member
Some questions about purchasing the Linux version
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:33:16 am »

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying the Linux version of MediaCenter, but before I proceed I would like to have a few questions answered that couldn't be answered by the FAQ page.

1. If I purchase a licence will I be able to update to newer versions? For example update from 20.0.46 to 20.0.56.

2. How about upgrading to a newer version? For example from version 20 to version 21. Do I need to purchase a new licence in this case or do is upgrading free of charge for existing costumers?

3. When do you expect the Linux version to be on the same level as the Windows version? Expected timespan?

4. Can you guarantee that the Linux version will be kept maintained just like the Windows version (bug fixing, new features, etc.)?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Some questions about purchasing the LInux version
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:08:13 am »

Welcome.

1.  The wiki has a topic called "Updates".  It answers your question.

2.  Upgrades are typically $26.98, but we offer a reduced price early in the cycle.

3.  Never.  It will always be behind.  We just added video.  Photos will probably happen in the next year.

4.  We can't guarantee 100% satisfaction.  We do fix bugs.  There is a 30 day free trial.

proview

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 01:49:07 am »

Thanks!

All clear.

Yesterday I was running the trial version and noticed that my DAC doesn't see high res input. I was playing some 24 bit 96 kHz files. According to the DSP manager MediaCenter was outputting 96 kHz over ALSA without modifications, but my DAC recognized it as 48 kHz.   When I use the windows version of JRiver MediaCenter or Foobar the DAC sees the correct sample frequency, so I'm pretty sure that my DAC isn't the problem. Perhaps the ALSA driver? Any idea's on what might cause this?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 04:50:59 am »

Are you running Pulseaudio?

Which distro and desktop environment are you running?

proview

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 06:42:25 am »

No, I selected "ALSA (default)" in MediaCenter.

The distro is JRiver Media Center 20.0.46 for Debian. My desktop environment is Linux Mint 17.1. My DAC has a Amanero as USB soundcard.

When looking at the sound output options in Mint I can choose between "ALSA Amanero (Analog)" and "ALSA Amanero (digital S/PDIF)". It doesn't matter which one I select, both output to my DAC and my DAC reads the same (wrong) sample frequency.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 07:19:09 am »

JRiver ignores the Mint sound settings and uses it's own device selection dialog (under options --> Audio).  In the JRiver device selection dialog, you want to choose one of the hardware outputs, not the default.  The default output is passing through a mixer (whether pulse or dmix/alsamixer), which resamples everything to 48KHz.  

The outputs you want will have names like "Front:" or "Surround:".  For 2 channel, you probably just want one of the "Front:" outputs.

proview

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:27:30 am »

Sounds plausible, but when I play 16 bit / 44.1 kHz it isn't being up-sampled to 48 kHz. Perhaps in default mode down-sampling occurs for all material that has a higher resolution then 48 kHz, right?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 09:34:12 am »

Sounds plausible, but when I play 16 bit / 44.1 kHz it isn't being up-sampled to 48 kHz. Perhaps in default mode down-sampling occurs for all material that has a higher resolution then 48 kHz, right?

It's hard to say without knowing what kind of sound software you're running (it depends on what mixer Mint uses).

I said 48KHz because that's what pulse does (resamples everything to 48), but you said you're not using pulse.  It may be that dmix or alsamixer does things differently (although I thought they too were locked in at 48 by defauly).  Generally speaking, software mixers prefer a single sample rate so that multiple programs can output different rates to the same device at the same time.

In any event, try the hardware outputs, they should bypass whatever mixer you're using. 

proview

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 09:58:55 am »

In any event, try the hardware outputs, they should bypass whatever mixer you're using. 
I will as soon as I get home and had some dinner   :)

proview

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 11:50:17 am »

One more question:

On the Purchase and Licence Recovery page I read the following:

Q: Can I install on more than one PC?
A: During the two-week period after you have purchased or restored, you can use the Install Key you received to activate the program on your other PC’s. You may use the program on your work PC and on your home PC's with a single license.

Is this also the case with the Linux version of MediaCenter?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 11:52:23 am »

Mac, Windows, and Linux versions are separate.  Within any one of these, you can use the license on several machines.

proview

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 12:10:22 pm »

All clear. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up