INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Crash with DLNA and WMA Files  (Read 4381 times)

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
MC Crash with DLNA and WMA Files
« on: December 19, 2014, 05:15:59 am »

Hi Guys,

The last two builds .0.49 and .0.50 crashes after running for about 5 mins,

I had a look in the forums and read that if you delete MadVR folder from the plugins folder and then restart JRiver everything will be OK. I have also tried the link Matt gave to reinstall MadVR and still have issues.

Rolling back to 0.48 and everything is rock steady.

Please help.

Logs if you need them http://pixienet.myzen.co.uk/JRiver/JRiver Log 2014-12-19 11-00-10.zip

Thanks,

John

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC Crashes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 05:51:02 am »

There is no crash information in the log, which suggests that MC didn't actually crash but did something else.
Please describe what actually happens. "Crash" is too often the generic description of "it doesn't work anymore".
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:21:31 am »

Hi Hendrik,

On my laptop the logs don't have a dmp file. If .49 or .50 is installed and then left running for about 5 mins I get the following screens,

On my PC I do get a dmp file which is in this log,

http://pixienet.myzen.co.uk/jriver/JRiver Log 2014-12-17 19-06-51.zip

John

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 07:36:39 am »

Thanks, that should hopefully be more useful!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 07:37:19 am »

Antivirus.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:55:57 am »

Antivirus.

None on my PC which is only used for JRiver HTPC. Laptop has Sophos but I did try removing it as I have seen your suggestions about AV in the past. What I don't get is .48 is OK and never gives any problems. .49 and .50 produce the error.

John

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:53:18 am »

Anything other than the stock MC install?  Plug-ins, skins, etc.

Video driver?

Is it happening on two machines?

Power everything down and back up, including the network.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 03:05:38 am »

Anything other than the stock MC install?  Plug-ins, skins, etc.

Video driver?

Is it happening on two machines?

Power everything down and back up, including the network.

My laptop has standard software installed for business use like Office etc. PC us a standalone system dedicated to JRiver. I am using the fabulous Rapier Fusion skin but have tried the default.

Video driver on the laptop is the latest AMD driver for my system and had no issues with it in months. Video driver on the PC is the latest Intel HD driver for the board.
Yes it is happening on both machines, in fact I also tried updating my i5 NUC (JRiver standalone unit for bedroom) from .47 to .49 and .50 and again the problem persists. Roll back to .47 or .48 and problem goes away.

I have powered everything down several times, I have also tried standalone without the network and again can replicate this on all 3 systems. All 3 systems are 100% rock stable on .48 or lower. as soon as .49 or .50 is put on them the problem occurs. Program starts up and within 5 minute MC crashes.

Please help..

John

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 07:11:08 am »

Did you try disconnecting from the network?

If you have external drives, disconnect them, just to test.

Maybe you said above, but turn off auto-import.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 10:06:04 am »

The crash seems to suggest its crashing while playing a WMA audio file. Does it only crash while playing? Do you have many WMA audio files? :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 10:23:34 am »

The crash seems to suggest its crashing while playing a WMA audio file. Does it only crash while playing? Do you have many WMA audio files? :)

Hi Hendrik,

I do have a few wma files in my library but not playing them. Vast majority of my library are Flac files and movies in m2ts and mkv.

I can reproduce this on every machine. Install 49 or 50 then start MC and do nothing, just leave it and within 5 mins it crashes. I've tried a fresh empty library and get the same results.

As soon as I go back to 48 and everything is rock stable.

John.

P. S.  Jim, I've tried restarting network, I've tried no network. I've tried local stored media using internal hdd. No external disks fitted.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 10:45:04 am »

Looks like I misread the log, and instead of playback, its a network device which tries to request files over the network. Oddly enough in both logs you provided its for WMA files when the crash occurs. I'm not sure what changed in this region of the code, but its something to check.
In the meantime, what kind of software could you have running on the IP ending with .40 that would be querying all the files over UPnP? If anything at all, does turning that off stop the crashing? (just to be sure thats actually the cause)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 11:10:51 am »

Hi Hendrik,

.40 is my LG 55LA690V Smart TV. I have unplugged it and tried .50 again and problem persists. Go back to 48 and all is OK.

Very very weird  ?

John

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 11:25:03 am »

OK, If I switch OFF the DNLA on my MC 20 on all devices then the .50 build doesn't crash on any device. If I enable it on any one device it does after 5 mins.

What I don't understand is that these settings I had I have had since MC 18 and have never had any problems before .49 so has anything changed your end.

I can live with DNLA switched off for now but I have lost the use of Gizmo.

John

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 11:32:36 am »

At least that narrows down the part we have to investigate, thanks for testing.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 05:12:07 pm »

Hi Hendrik,

I have found what is crashing all my systems.

If the option to share my library is selected then JRiver WILL crash after about 5 mins running. Doesn't need to be playing anything.
If the option is unticked then all my systems are stable on V20.0.50 so the question now is what's changed your end. Never had any issues before .49.

John

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 05:52:05 pm »

I have an idea which change may be causing it, but I need to investigate more. Should hopefully be able to resolve it.
Can you try playing ...\Music\wma\Cheryl Cole\2009 - 3 Words\07 - Cheryl Cole - Happy Hour.wma and see if playback also crashes, or playback itself works? (thats the file it crashed on in your one log)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 04:51:34 am »

Can you try playing ...\Music\wma\Cheryl Cole\2009 - 3 Words\07 - Cheryl Cole - Happy Hour.wma and see if playback also crashes, or playback itself works? (thats the file it crashed on in your one log)

The file plays fine Hendrik.

John

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 05:07:22 am »

Ok, thanks.

I think I found the problem, and it should hopefully be resolved in the next build. However due to the holidays, it may take a while, so I can only suggest to stick to .48 for the time being!
Thanks for reporting and the cooperation in tracking it down, and happy holidays!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re:
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 08:30:52 am »

Thanks Hendrik,

Have a great holiday time yourself.

John

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC Crash with DLNA and WMA Files
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:53:05 am »

I wonder if it is the following: bob recently (in v48) added a new custom metadata tag in the UPnP DIDL so that MC can pass volume levelling info to itself. I am guessing this tag has a name, a value, or a namespace that chokes the OP's smart TV when it is trying to Browse the ContentDirectory. In which case you would not only need to fix it so that the custom tag choke does not crash MC. But you would also need to check that the custom tag is not breaking the client browse calls on all other players than MC. IMHO MC should check the UserAgent of the caller, and only supply MC custom tags when it knows that caller is  another instance of MC. That way you don't risk breaking (all) other clients..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 11:07:14 am »

Its entirely unrelated to the new tags. Even if they would confuse some DLNA client, how would that then end in MC crashing? :D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 11:53:07 am »

Its entirely unrelated to the new tags. Even if they would confuse some DLNA client, how would that then end in MC crashing? :D

Hendrik sadly I can think of several ways that a client could do that to MC. If the client returns one of the following unexpected (and therefore not properly handled in MC) errors: a) client returns an unexpected socket error, b) client hangs the socket, c) client responds by pushing an infinite string (buffer overrun) into a keep-alive socket on MC, d) client goes into a tizzy and starts pushing a flood of NOTIFIES, e) client goes offline and then comes online again in a Upnp unstable state, pushing (say) bad DDD or bad SCPD documents with bad syntax or buffer overruns, etc. etc.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up