INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain information no longer show up in version 20?  (Read 2542 times)

Lunatique

• World Citizen
Replay Gain information no longer show up in version 20?
« on: December 24, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »

I've noticed that all the Replay Gain analysis information I've done to my library over the years now no longer show up in MC20--that field is showing blank instead of the +/- dB numbers. Also, in the DSP studio, the Volume Leveling no longer show options to increase of decrease dB. Adaptive Volume don't have this either, and show three modes. The information shown in the Options for Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume isn't very clear either--I'm having a hard time understanding exactly what it's telling me, and I'm saying this as someone who's a professional composer that does a lot of mixing and mastering work and deals with DSP plugins extensively.

So what is the current "proper" way to have all my songs playing back at the same peak volume. Intentional variation as intended by the musical artist within the same album is okay, but between albums/artists I want them to all playback at similar volume, so I don't have to keep turning the volume knob between songs when I'm just shuffling songs in my entire music collection or playlists.

Currently I have Volume Leveling turned on, and Adaptive Volume set to Peak Level Normalize. Is that all I need to do? But it isn't working because some files are much quieter than others.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
Re: Replay Gain information no longer show up in version 20?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:57:13 am »

Under "Tools>Advanced Tools"  select "Analyze Audio" for all files you want this done to..  This may have been done automatically by MC20. 

To check if it has go to files in standard view and see if "Volume Level R128" has a value.  You can add this category in the view by right clicking on the column header and selecting it from the drop down list.  Then select the appropriate Options for Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume.

I still have my Replay Gain in my files on top of this just to let yo know.  Make sure under Tools>Options>General>Importing & Tagging you have the Update tags when file info changes box checked.  MC20 has mysteriously lost data prior to me doing this.

Hope this helps.

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 04:43:25 pm »

Under "Tools>Advanced Tools"  select "Analyze Audio" for all files you want this done to..  This may have been done automatically by MC20. 

To check if it has go to files in standard view and see if "Volume Level R128" has a value.  You can add this category in the view by right clicking on the column header and selecting it from the drop down list.  Then select the appropriate Options for Volume Leveling and Adaptive Volume.

I still have my Replay Gain in my files on top of this just to let yo know.  Make sure under Tools>Options>General>Importing & Tagging you have the Update tags when file info changes box checked.  MC20 has mysteriously lost data prior to me doing this.

Hope this helps.

Apparently, in the available fields for selection, "Replay Gain" shows no data anymore, but if I select "Volume Level (ReplayGain), the data is shown in that field instead. It also looks like the old "Replay Gain" field is now obsolete and doesn't even exist in MC anymore when I look at the list of available fields. So basically it's been changed to "Volume Level (ReplayGain)" instead.

So now I have to do a new "Analyze Audio" pass to generate the "Volume Level (R128 data)."

I'm assuming once I've done that, everything should work correctly, as long as I check-mark "Volume Leveling" and "Adaptive Volume" in the DSP Studio? There's nothing else I need to do?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 04:48:15 pm »

So now I have to do a new "Analyze Audio" pass to generate the "Volume Level (R128 data)."

That's correct.  We switched to R128.  It's better.  You could Google on it for more information. 
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:40:43 pm »

Improved audio analysis and volume leveling (R128)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82025.0

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 10:32:09 pm »

Thanks.

Can someone answer my question regarding what I have to do to get the exact behavior I want?

This is what I asked, but haven't gotten a direct answer yet:

So what is the current "proper" way to have all my songs playing back at the same peak volume. Intentional variation as intended by the musical artist within the same album is okay, but between albums/artists I want them to all playback at similar volume, so I don't have to keep turning the volume knob between songs when I'm just shuffling songs in my entire music collection or playlists.

Currently I have Volume Leveling turned on, and Adaptive Volume set to Peak Level Normalize. Is that all I need to do?

I'm running audio analysis for the R128 levels right now, and once it's done, would everything work as I'm expecting according to what I described above?

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 02:50:30 am »

DSP->Volume Levelling [check]
DSP->Adaptive Volume [uncheck]

This will give you R128 levelling across all tracks.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 09:23:45 am »

mark_h is technically correct, but I suggest you try it with both Adaptive Volume set for Peak Mode and unchecked to see which you prefer.

I use Adaptive Volume on personally.  It does affect the playback volume.  A matter of preference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up