INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver not fully compliant with latest Windows 10 Technical Preview x64 ??  (Read 5666 times)

ozziaj

• Recent member

I've just installed the latest Windows 10 Technical preview on my new 64bit Dell laptop, and thought I give JRiver media center another go. I downloaded a trial version (v20.0.50) and installed with admin rights. No problems installing.

But when I try to import mkv movie files, for example, JRiver seems to take an enormously long time to import (>6 minutes for 2 files, one 4.4Gb, one 9.8GB!). Windows 10 tells me JRiver is not responding, but if I leave it alone, it will eventually come up with a notification showing that it has successfully imported the files.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I uninstalled it, and installed again but this time with compatibility set to Windows 7. Unfortunately that made no difference at all.  >:(

Importing audio files (1 flac and 1 HQ mp3, total 245MB) also seems to take a fair bit longer than I seem to remember when I played with an earlier version a year ago or so (I think that was a version 18 built). Unlike with Windows 10, importing previously under Windows 7 seemed to be more or less instant with hardly a delay regardless of file type.

Can anyone comment on this and give me some suggestions what to try next, please?

Thanks for all. Cheers to ya' all and a very happy, merry and prosperous 2015!  8)

TCube

Re: JRiver not fully compliant with latest Windows 10 Technical Preview x64 ??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 06:33:13 am »

hahaha

Do you really expect someone to answer your question during the festive Holidays ?
Nuts and bolts .. You're wasting your time ... anyway, as I wrote earlier, leaks are :

1 Octobre 2014 - Technical Preview
Q1 2015 - Developer Preview
Avril 2015 - /BUILD/ - Universal Apps
Q2/Q3 2015 (Mai/Juin) - Consumer Preview
Q3 2015 (Aout?) - RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
Q3/Q4 2015 (Septembre/Octobre) - GA

So why don't you wait until Q1 where JRiver may get their hands on the " Developer Preview" ?
Rgds
TC

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 06:42:50 am »

I've just installed the latest Windows 10 Technical preview on my new 64bit Dell laptop, and thought I give JRiver media center another go. I downloaded a trial version (v20.0.50) and installed with admin rights. No problems installing.

But when I try to import mkv movie files, for example, JRiver seems to take an enormously long time to import (>6 minutes for 2 files, one 4.4Gb, one 9.8GB!). Windows 10 tells me JRiver is not responding, but if I leave it alone, it will eventually come up with a notification showing that it has successfully imported the files.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, I uninstalled it, and installed again but this time with compatibility set to Windows 7. Unfortunately that made no difference at all.  >:(

Importing audio files (1 flac and 1 HQ mp3, total 245MB) also seems to take a fair bit longer than I seem to remember when I played with an earlier version a year ago or so (I think that was a version 18 built). Unlike with Windows 10, importing previously under Windows 7 seemed to be more or less instant with hardly a delay regardless of file type.

Can anyone comment on this and give me some suggestions what to try next, please?

Thanks for all. Cheers to ya' all and a very happy, merry and prosperous 2015!  8)

Could the slow import be due to a slow connection? How are you importing - via wireless network or direct connected storage or ? Now that you have a movie imported does to play?

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 09:09:54 am »

hahaha

Do you really expect someone to answer your question during the festive Holidays ?
Nuts and bolts .. You're wasting your time ... anyway, as I wrote earlier :

1 Octobre 2014 - Technical Preview
Q1 2015 - Developer Preview
Avril 2015 - /BUILD/ - Universal Apps
Q2/Q3 2015 (Mai/Juin) - Consumer Preview
Q3 2015 (Aout?) - RTM (Release To Manufacturing)
Q3/Q4 2015 (Septembre/Octobre) - GA

So why don't you wait until Q1 where JRiver may get their hands on the " Developer Preview" ?
Rgds
TC
In answer to your  Q, TCube, no, not really 'cause it IS the festive season. Then agaian, this IS a great forum with a reputation to uphold, namely answering queries promptly.

That aside, I like most of the public, am fully aware of MS's W10 roadmap ... so no need to list the same here. On the other hand, good (as in useful) advice from your end I'm sure would have been dandy.

never mind, enjoy the holidays, mate. Cheers 'n beers.

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:29:16 am »

Could the slow import be due to a slow connection? How are you importing - via wireless network or direct connected storage or ? Now that you have a movie imported does to play?

Yes, the thought had crossed my mind, too. Though I only tried importing from an external drive via USB3, and from an internal partition (SATA). And yes, the movie (and music) files once imported play A-OK, no issues at all there. In fact no other issues as far as I've noticed to date.
There was the one minor issue where JRiver wouldn't start always with Win10 (I had that set in the start-up options to 'Media Centre'), but once I changed that to 'Media Center and Server' (just to see if that made any difference), JRiver started up with Win10 fairly reliably.

One other issue with the latest JRiver built I found is that when I start it in Mini View with Win 10, it stalls every time and just shows a fat, white bar at the top of the screen. Starting in Standard View or Last View solved that little hiccup.  8)

Just to clarify why I posted here:
A) I do realise that Win10 at this stage is nowhere near a final product, whatever MS wants us to believe, and hence I'm equally clear that one can't expect all applications to run A-OK
BUT:
B) Other posters here seemed to have a better experience than I seem to have (not that I'm complaining, see point A above), and so I thought to see if anyone else had run into the issue that I had encountered.

On a hunch, here: How would one recommend installing JRiver under Win10? Any particular thoughts on this?  ::)

One more thing: just to see if I could make headways, I tried v18.0.180 under Win10, and found this:
a) v18 has no issues starting in Mini View with Win10
b) Still need to set start-up options to 'Media Center and Server' for reliable start-up with Win 10
c) Import times still incredibly slow but about a minute-plus faster than v20 (tried with the same movie and audio files)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 10:58:07 am »

My only comment would be - You can't seriously expect any vendor to be compliant with any "technical preview" for an OS that won't be available in final form until summer 2015 - can you?

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 11:54:53 am »

No special install should be needed, but we haven't seen it yet.

We're happy to hear what you've found, but don't expect any work on it yet.  Microsoft often changes things during this phase, and we need to wait until it's not changing any longer.

TCube

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 01:12:03 pm »

-  "Microsoft often changes things during this phase, and we need to wait until it's not changing any longer."
That's a great paronymy. I give U a 10 on this one.
TC

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 10:40:38 pm »

No special install should be needed, but we haven't seen it yet.

We're happy to hear what you've found, but don't expect any work on it yet.  Microsoft often changes things during this phase, and we need to wait until it's not changing any longer.
Sure, I wouldn't expect you guys running out and changing a perfectly good software that even runs on that mongrel Win 8.x!  ;D

Just thought I share my findings and see what others have experienced with JRiver under the current TP of Win 10.  8)

Cheers and thanks to ya' all.

Have a great start into 2015, and a very merry and happy New Year to all!  :)

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 07:51:53 pm »

Running Windows 10 here, no problems with MKVs. Your are probably watching the time it takes to analyze the audio track and complete all of the import processes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up