INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging question: Date versus release date  (Read 1320 times)

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
Tagging question: Date versus release date
« on: December 30, 2014, 07:54:30 pm »

Good evening,

I have been updating the metadata in my FLAC files using MC. To date, I have been enter the release date of each album in mm/dd/yyyy format in the Date field. I recently noticed after transcoding my files to Apple Lossless using dBpoweramp that my tag changes did not hold. Rather, only the year transferred. Moreover, JRemote only displays the year in the date field. After doing some research, I have learned that ID3v2.3 assigns field name DATE to frame TYER, while ID3v2.4 assigns field name RELEASE DATE to frame TDRL.

All of this leads me to my question: Is there a way to reassign the DATE field to RELEASE DATE in MC and then run Update Tags from Library? If not, is there another method to transfer this information en masse? I would desperately like to avoid starting over.

As always, I sincerely appreciate the input.

Happy holidays,
Tim

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tagging question: Date versus release date
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:57:51 am »

Using MC to transcode would be one way to solve this.

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »

Jim,

Thank you for your reply. If I understand you correctly, you are telling me that I should transcode my FLAC files to ALAC using MC. In doing so, am I correct that my metadata will transfer without degradation and that I do not need to do anything further (i.e., creating a new field for Release Date)? Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly do I do this? To date, I have been using dBpoweramp Batch Converter, as I was unaware MC had the capability to transcode. Lastly, I have roughly 50,000 FLAC files, which I typically transcode in batches using dBpoweramp. Do you have a rough idea/suggestion of how many files I should transcode from FLAC to Apple Lossless in a single operation?

As always, I appreciate your input, as well as that of all of the other members of the community.

Happy New Year,
Tim

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 02:28:52 am »

Select a few files to start.  Right click, and use the Convert tool.  Choose the format.  Tags should transfer, but try a few.

tseipel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:42:24 am »

Will give it a try when I get off work. As always, I appreciate it Jim. Happy New Year and and stay warm up there.

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up