INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD Question  (Read 1236 times)

Foxenhimr

• Recent member
DSD Question
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:59:35 am »

My HTPC is appearing to borderline for playing SACD iso's. I have some that play with no problem, 5 Channel ( 14000 kbps), but a few that are 6 Channel (16934 kbsp) that cause constant drop-outs and re-buffering. I'm not in a position to upgrade cpu at this time, but would like to continue to explore more "high res" content. The San Fransisco Symphony offer ( pricey ! ) DSD downloads from their "downloadsnow.net" site, and I had my eye on some of their 2.8Mhz DSF content.  As they don't offer short sample downloads ( which would be a good idea ) I'm not sure whether these will play on my system. However, if I am able to determine if these are 5 channel ( or less ) files, I would think I'd be ok (?)

Thoughts/Opinions welcome

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSD Question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 09:05:46 am »

The CPU usage will scale with the number of channels.  So stereo files will probably play fine.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 09:16:53 am »

Another big factor is if the multi-channel DSD content is compressed. For example a 6ch SACD will always use DST compression, which adds a significant requirement on CPU usage.
A 6 channel DSD track which is not compressed may play fine, while a compressed 6 channel track needs much more CPU to play properly.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Foxenhimr

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:21:22 am »

Thanks so much

I will engage the folks selling the files to see if they have any knowledge of whether the tracks are compressed or not.

At $ 50 to $75 (!!) per recording I want to be sure I can play the files. 

It does seem like an outlandish amount for the convenience of a download. This being said I don't have an sacd player, so I guess it's cheaper than buying one of those !

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:06:15 pm »

You could offer them a license for MC so they can test.
Pages: [1]   Go Up