INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV video stops & starts while audio continues  (Read 2931 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
MKV video stops & starts while audio continues
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:39:10 pm »

Are there any settings i can change to improve playback performance on the ID?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MKV video stops & starts while audio continues
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:41:10 pm »

Did you try converting on the server side? 

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:22:13 pm »

No, I haven't. So are you saying mkv won't play well on the Id?

And when you say converting, are you saying I should convert the file to a different format?

Thx

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:40:30 pm »

He's suggesting that if you're streaming the file from a server, that you try transcoding it on the server side.

Where is the file you're playing?  Is it on the Id's harddrive, another computer, a NAS, or somewhere else?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:41:15 pm »

The Id doesn't have a lot of power, so it will play some video well, but not all.

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 07:51:56 pm »

I have all content on a Synology Diskstation on my network. My id has the library of my mc server loaded. Not sure how I would convert for just the id. What should i try to convert to?

loads

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 11:46:19 am »

I have had the ID for about a week and had the same problem but it only affected Blurays that used some variation of the vc-1 video standard and only titles with bit rates over 21000. I am currently experimenting with converting the offending titles to h264 using handbrake. Initial results with default setting allowed the title to play but with a significant quality loss. I am currently converting using the highest quality settings that handbrake allows ... Problem is a 2 1/2 hour movie looks like it will take 6 hours to convert. Anyone know of software that can convert vc-1 to h265 efficiently with minimal loss of video quality?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 04:40:44 pm »

I have had the ID for about a week and had the same problem but it only affected Blurays that used some variation of the vc-1 video standard and only titles with bit rates over 21000. I am currently experimenting with converting the offending titles to h264 using handbrake. Initial results with default setting allowed the title to play but with a significant quality loss. I am currently converting using the highest quality settings that handbrake allows ... Problem is a 2 1/2 hour movie looks like it will take 6 hours to convert. Anyone know of software that can convert vc-1 to h265 efficiently with minimal loss of video quality?
MC will convert to h264 and use all of the cores. It's pretty fast and used pretty often on windows (this functionality was recently added to the linux version). You can't tweak the parameters but the H264-TS 1080P AUTOFPS or MP4 1080P AUTOFPS should look good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up