INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice : How best to config multiple WAPs ?  (Read 1767 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Advice : How best to config multiple WAPs ?
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:45:02 am »

Any advice would be great, I'm looking to config my WAP to:
- maximise throughput
- minimise dropouts
- enable roaming to strongest WAP
- have a "guest NW"
- focus on "N" clients

I have the following setup (all ASUS Routers running Merlin custom FW) to provide coverage in the house and over a 2,500sqm (3/4 acre) block:
- WAP1 (Main Router): 2.4 Ch1 / 5GHz Ch 149
- WAP2 (AP Mode): 2.4 Ch6 / 5GHz Ch 153
- WAP3 (AP Mode): 2.4 Ch6 / 5GHz Ch 157
- WAP4 (AP Mode): 2.4 Ch11 / 5GHz Ch 161

Separating the 5GHz channels is easy, and with the 2.4GHz I've picked non overlapping channels except for WAP2 and WAP3 that are physically the furthest apart.

I have little else seen on these frequencies as the neighbours or some distance away and all the WAP are wired over gigabit to a switch.

I have aggressive roaming set on all PCs that support it and "Wifi Roaming" Fix for Android that will roam (with a drop) to the strongest WAP
running Main and Guest SSID on same channels.

On each WAP I Run 3 SSID's
- "Home" on 5GHz
- "Home2" on 2.4Ghz
- "Guest" on both 5 and 2.4GHz  (note: each WAP run the "Guest" SSID on the same channels as the "Home" and "Home2" SSID)

Any tweaks, suggestions etc?

Thanks
Nathan

PS - Cross post with smallnetbuilder.com
JRiver CEO Elect

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 06:05:39 am »

Sound pretty spot on what you are doing.  Only suggestion is to make sure that you have enough overlap of WAP's on non overlapping channels, so that you don't have any signal black spots.  If you have a lot of wireless devices then the WAP density on non overlapping channels needs to be increased to maintain bandwidth but that would be unusual in a residential setup which normally have only 5 - 6 wireless clients accessing a single WAP at anyone time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up