INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 2  (Read 6078 times)

thaddeussmith

• Recent member
Raspberry Pi 2
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:28:56 pm »

A new raspberry pi 2 was announced today, with 1GB memory and a quad core ARM Cortex-A7 @ 900mhz. Announced at the same time is official support for MS Windows 10 (IoT version).

Does this mean the small platform will be suitable for MC audio playback? Combined with JRemote, this would be a very tidy and powerful setup.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: Raspberry Pi 2
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:41:44 pm »

Damn beat me to it.  ;D

Welcome to the forum...

... actually it looks suitable for 1080p playback - only question is whether the GPU will run madVR...

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 07:48:49 pm »

The version of windows it runs will probably not be full-bore windows.  Several articles have indicated that it won't run office, for example.  Most windows software would need to be recompiled for ARM(including JRiver).  The GPU is the same GPU in the original Pi (to my knowledge), so 1080p will be at least theoretically possible (depending on encoding options, etc.).

Hendrik's comments in this thread are encouraging: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=93393.msg656375#msg656375

thaddeussmith

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 07:52:26 pm »

Isn't the mac version still audio-only? No need to worry about video in this release, keep it audio only. Surely it would be easier to recompile a suitable version on Windows vs. Linux.

And MPD handles hi-res music without issue so hi-res playback via MC should be doable as well, especially with overclocking enabled.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 08:01:52 pm »

It's not a windows vs. linux issue; MC already has a functioning linux build that has some video capability.  It's an x86 processor architecture vs. ARM processor architecture issue. 

You can recompile it, but if you don't do optimizations and take advantage of available hardware acceleration, everything will run poorly (or not at all).  Porting software to ARM is non-trivial which is why, for example, the ARM version of debian doesn't have as many packages as the mainline x86 version does, and why the windows version for the new Pi won't have full functionality.

FWIW I'm personally hoping that there will be an arm build, it'd be loads of fun to run MC on tiny credit card sized computers.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:39:52 am »

The most obvious use of the new Pi is to add an android OS to the PC, and then use things like Gizmo, JRemote (when it's released for Android) or EOS to stream from your server. In time, I'll probably do this in a couple of rooms my self. Where I also want a big screen. Otherwise, I still believe that a cheap android tablet does much of the same, or more.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

thaddeussmith

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 01:07:28 pm »

no, i want the pi to be my server and playback device - not the controller of a different server. Connect to SMB file shares, playback hi-res audio, down-sample if necessary, etc.

It could be a very stripped down version specific to that platform and purpose - a small footprint (logical and physical) computer with connectivity and external storage, controlled via iOS/Android devices. At $35 for the hardware, it's not like you're wasting potential compute resources or money by having stripped down software features.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 03:20:52 pm »

no, i want the pi to be my server and playback device - not the controller of a different server. Connect to SMB file shares, playback hi-res audio, down-sample if necessary, etc.

It could be a very stripped down version specific to that platform and purpose - a small footprint (logical and physical) computer with connectivity and external storage, controlled via iOS/Android devices. At $35 for the hardware, it's not like you're wasting potential compute resources or money by having stripped down software features.

Why are you limiting yourself to ARM devices that MC won't currently run on? There's plenty of similar x86 embedded solutions out there.

thaddeussmith

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 03:23:09 pm »

size.. cost.. flexibility..

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 02:21:38 pm »

What would be the entry I need to add to the startup to auto-launch the beta when the desktop loads?

Thanks

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 02:34:14 pm »

What would be the entry I need to add to the startup to auto-launch the beta when the desktop loads?

Thanks

If it's the same as the other Linux variants: mediacenter20

thaddeussmith

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 08:45:10 am »

I'm not crazy afterall..  ::)

http://jriver.com/Id/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 08:51:40 am »

A test build for the Pi is available on our Linux board.
Pages: [1]   Go Up