INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New JRiver Id  (Read 3599 times)

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
New JRiver Id
« on: February 07, 2015, 08:19:13 pm »

Just received my new ID & trying to get it setup. I have it all connected to my network via Ethernet, USB to my DAC, HDMI to a monitor and USB to a wireless keyboard and mouse. I can find it on my network and have copied some media files to the media folder. However, at this point I can't do anything else with it. Was expecting JRiver Media Center to open but instead I get a blank/black screen. WHen it first boots up I get the menu with the F2, F10, F12 options. Then a screen opens that is virtually impossible to read. It appears to have several lines with Debian...at the top and several other lines in the middle but there is a large graphic in the middle which makes it impossible to read anything. Then the screen goes blank and there does not appear to be any signal going to the monitor as the small light on the monitor goes from blue to yellow indicating it is not receiving anything. What am I doing wrong?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: new JRiver ID
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:46:51 am »

I'm sorry, but it's not completely booting.

F2 would get you to the bios when you see it on screen.

When it stops changing, try hitting enter or "y". 

Bob will be able to help later.

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:51:59 am »

Thanks for the feedback.Will try that. I did go into the BIOS screen but was not sure what to try there. Is there anything I should try there?

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 10:03:45 am »

When I go into the BIOS screen (F2), under Boot Order in the UEFI tab, the first row says UEFI Boot and has a checkmark in the box next to it.The second row says Boot Drive Order and to the right says No Boot Drive. I hit F7 to check for an update to the BIOS and it says Unable to locate Product ID.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 11:10:29 am »

I wonder if your drive connection is loose.  Open the Id to see.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:50:16 am »

I wonder if your drive connection is loose.  Open the Id to see.
Sounds like it's having trouble with monitor to me.
Maybe just let it boot and see if it comes up on the network?
If it does, you can shut it down with the power button.
There is a boot fix on the firmware repair download that might help as well, it can sometimes fix monitor issues.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94636.0

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 12:29:26 pm »

Don't update the BIOS.

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 03:32:28 pm »

Will try this next. Definitely could be a monitor problem. As I mentioned above, I can see the ID on the network & copied some jazz wav files to it's media folder. Won't update the Bios!

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 08:58:40 am »

Got the USB stick prepared and rebooted the ID using F10. After it did it's thing, a menu came up with several repair options. I wasn't sure what to do here so I typed in 98 (per the menu options at the bottom of the screen) and the ID rebooted. It did exactly what it was doing before and I still end up with a blank screen. Should I have tried one or more of the repair options from the USB boot stick?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 10:45:55 am »

Got the USB stick prepared and rebooted the ID using F10. After it did it's thing, a menu came up with several repair options. I wasn't sure what to do here so I typed in 98 (per the menu options at the bottom of the screen) and the ID rebooted. It did exactly what it was doing before and I still end up with a blank screen. Should I have tried one or more of the repair options from the USB boot stick?
Yes, when you get into the repair menu, do the boot repair option (it's very fast), then 98 to reboot the Id.
If it still doesn't work, the next thing is to run the firmware reinstall option.
If it doesn't work after that, then the memory test from the USB boot stick first menu.

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 01:10:02 pm »

Thanks, will try those options tonight.

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 09:26:31 pm »

Success! Reinstalling the firmware fixed it. I am into MC and able to pull from my main PC/Library and push to the ID from my main PC/library. Appreciate all the help & patience.

I assume the best thing to do is purchase a Master license from my main PC and then use the license restore on the ID?

Also, right now it is playing through the HDMI default (monitor speakers). I have it hooked up via USB to a PS Audio Sprout (integrated DAC,amp). When I go into Tools, Options, Audio, Devices I see a lot of options but nothing that looks like the Sprout. Since the ID is running Linux I was not sure whether to download & install the USB drivers for the Sprout. Should I go ahead & do that? I thought I saw some discussions on the forum where it seemed to indicate that not all USB dacs will work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 09:38:36 pm »

Good news, and thanks for your patience.

The USB device is something like something ALSA something front.  It should be in the instructions on the wiki.
No driver should be installed.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:13:00 am »

Success! Reinstalling the firmware fixed it. I am into MC and able to pull from my main PC/Library and push to the ID from my main PC/library. Appreciate all the help & patience.

I assume the best thing to do is purchase a Master license from my main PC and then use the license restore on the ID?

Also, right now it is playing through the HDMI default (monitor speakers). I have it hooked up via USB to a PS Audio Sprout (integrated DAC,amp). When I go into Tools, Options, Audio, Devices I see a lot of options but nothing that looks like the Sprout. Since the ID is running Linux I was not sure whether to download & install the USB drivers for the Sprout. Should I go ahead & do that? I thought I saw some discussions on the forum where it seemed to indicate that not all USB dacs will work.

The license is included with the Id. If it doesn't show up under help->registration info PM me with your serial number from the bottom of the Id and I'll send you the license.

Thanks,
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up