Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zones  (Read 2346 times)

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
Zones
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:43:43 pm »

Other than connecting to my main PC running MC from a laptop or tablet & just playing through those speakers, have not had any experience playing to a totally different zone. The ID is showing up under playing now on my main PC but can't get it to play anything. Do I need to setup a new Zone or is there some other setting that needs to be tweaked? If I need to set up a new zone, what di I choose as the audio device?

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Zones
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:47:06 pm »

The first thing I would check are the audio options on the Id itself, particularly the audio device. Try "hdmi:" for HDMI audio out, or "front:" for analog audio out.

You can also create new zones on the Id, if you want to. Those will appear on the network as "id: zone1", "id: zone2", etc.

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:32:48 pm »

Have loaded several audio files into the Media folder on the ID and do not have any problems playing those files either using HDMI to the monitor's speakers or through USB to a small integrated amp/DAC (PS Audio Sprout) using the audio devices "front:card=X20.DEV=0[ALSA] or sysdefault:card=X20[DEV]. I was able to get it to start playing some tracks from my main PC to the ID but after about 7-9 seconds it jumps to the next track and on the ID's screen it shows an error message about playback and the DSP settings. Looking through the forums I am wondering if I need to change the buffer settings or I also read something about disabling Event Style? Have checked the DSP settings and everything looks okay but I have not had to play with these settings for over two years since I got my main system set up.

alglove

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 05:16:23 pm »

You checked the DSP settings on the main computer, you mean? Are these the DSP settings for the zone on the main computer?
Options --> Audio --> [zone to configure] (up above the list of options)

The reason I ask is that the DSP settings when playing over the network are in a different location:
Options --> Media Network --> Add or configure DLNA servers --> [server name] --> Audio --> Advanced --> DSP Studio

Basically, think of each entry in the "Add of configure DLNA servers" list as a settings profile that you can apply when playing to any remote zone. Right-click on any remote zone in the main screen, and you will see an option to associate one of these profiles for that zone.

For now, try using or creating a DLNA server profile that does not convert the music at all, but sends the file to the Id without any modification. In the DLNA server profile settings, change Audio --> Mode to "original format", and turn off any DSP settings under the Advanced section. (Don't worry, this is separate from the DSP settings you have in the main Audio section that you have been using for the last couple of years.)

Does that help any?

greatgreyowl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:18:33 pm »

Will definitely try this. As you surmised I was looking only at the DSP settings under Tools\Options\Audio Devices. Looked at Media Network but didn't delve far enough. Appreciate the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up