Devices > Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod, Airplay

AirPlay Whole of house in Sync with JRiver Media Center 20!

(1/18) > >>

Hilton:
In a few minutes a couple of video demos will be uploaded to Youtube showing how well JRiver MC20 works with AirPlay whole of house sync using TuneBlade as a dedicated playback zone.

Im not kidding when I say it Works Flawlessly.

This guide is related to my "What can you do with JRiver Media Center" thread, and is the first detailed guide I've put together.
If anyone has questions or ideas to make this simpler please let me know!

I know Jim will move this to the AirPlay forum but I thought a wider audience might appreciate the demo and guide.

Demo of it in action.

Part 1 Quick Overview and run through the house for 5 AirPlay zones in Sync across different devices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9rjD2UWgsA&feature=youtu.be

Part 2 Turned up a bit to hear Audio in Sync across the 5 Zones and another run back through the house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8aYl2WBJR0

I can now switch between spotify, and MC on the server remotely. There's not much to it really.

Use a dedicated output device on the server for TuneBlade that isn't used by anything else. Install a virtual one if you don't have one spare.

Set TuneBlade to that specific device instead of using loop back.

Set the device windows control panel audio settings to 16/44 on the server and as the default playback device.

Set airfoil speakers on the server to your default sound card (as long as its NOT the same as TuneBlade)

Make sure exclusive mode is turned off everywhere on the server relating to the TuneBlade Audio device that your using.

On the receivers, set Airfoil Speakers to use default device.

Set Windows control panel Audio device that you prefer to use as your default device.

Turn off exclusive mode in MC if your also using that output device for MC.

It sounds like a lot of fiddling but it's only a couple changes.

I can now start spotify on the server, send that via TuneBlade automatically, switch to MC and start playback, the worst that will happen is sound overlapping from both. Which is easier to fix than having to go to your server and restart things.

I'm using the spotify beta which now allows remote control of spotify on the server from any other PC from the new Beta. Phones can also remotely control spotify, so with spotify, JRemote and TuneBlade remote I can do everything I need to do from the phone without having to go near a PC or touch my MC server.

Hilton:
Overview and a snap shot of the important settings.
This works over Ethernet or WiFi and I have a mixture of both.
In the video the AirPort Express and NUC are both using Wifi.

JRiver-AirPlay-Overview by Hilton, on Flickr

TuneBlade Audio device settings for the Windows TuneBlade Server Audio Device.

In windows sound devices playback devices> device properties> Advanced.
Set for 16bit/44.1 + disable exclusive mode.
Set as default playback device. 
The reason for doing this is so that you can also leave Spotify running (or other audio apps) and share the playback with MC20 to get both MC20 and Spotify with synchronized audio through your house.  This stops any conflicts with different sample rates and prevents a application taking exclusive access which can cause lockups and crashes.
If two devices try to playback at the same time, instead of crashing TuneBlade you'll just hear both audio devices.

AirFoil-device-disable-exclusive-control by Hilton, on Flickr

AirFoil Audio device settings for the Windows TuneBlade Server if you want local AirPlay playback - (use a different device than the TuneBlade Audio Device)

Hilton:
AirFoil Audio device settings for the Windows machines that you want AirPlay playback.

AirFoil on the windows machines settings
You can specify a particular audio device if you want.
AirFoil-Speaker by Hilton, on Flickr

Hilton:
And of course TuneBlade - What it looks like on the server.

PS. If you set TuneBlade to Connected Standby mode under settings> AirPlay Streaming, it will stop broadcasting when it detects silence for the length of time you set. I have mine set for 10 seconds.
This stops your network being flooded when your not using AirPlay and releases the audio devices on the AirFoil players.

TuneBlade-interface by Hilton, on Flickr

The TuneBlade Remote App.
TuneBlade-Remote by Hilton, on Flickr

JRemote.

JRemote-AirPlay by Hilton, on Flickr

Posted guide on AVS too. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1903585-airplay-whole-house-sync-jriver-media-center-20-guide.html#post31982425

jmone:
Hilton has this nailed.  I've too use this setup now and can pump whole house audio from MC via Tuneblade (and initiated from EOS/Gismo) to:
- PC's running Airfoil Client
- Airport Express feeding an amp
- Pio A3 (and soon an A4) Airtunes compatible speaker
- Andriod running Airplayer

The only thing I'd like to find is a "better" alternative to Airplayer for Android as while it "just works" it is missing a couple of bits:
- adjustable buffer (slightly out of sync)
- auto load on startup

I've e-mailed the rep but nil response.

The other option is to use Airfoil as the server as it has a Andriod Client but it is not as reliable as the Tuneblade keeping clients in sync.  I have e-mailed them with details and they did respond saying the Devs would be in contact but I've not heard back in the last couple of weeks.

As others have mentioned I also have found that Tuneblade will drop output to Airfoil PC Cleints and you have to stop / start them to get them going again, but the others are rock solid.

Well done.
Nathan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version