INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums dis-assembled??  (Read 2396 times)

nemick

• Recent member
Albums dis-assembled??
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:04 am »

Excuse me if this is in the wrong forum but I’m new here and could use some advice.

I recently moved all my music to my NAS, a WD My Cloud. The transfer went well, but several complete albums now show as individual tracks, each as it’s own one track single song. Is there a tool or way in MC 19 to put all these songs back into a single album as they were previously?

Thanks for any help, pointers or suggestions.

Neil M.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Albums dis-assembled??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:21:44 am »

Are the tracks in the same directory?

Edit the Album Artist tag so it is the same.

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:30:58 am »

Sorry to sound stupid (and thanks for moving thread to the appropriate place). I don’t actually know what you mean by the same directory. What has happened has only occured on albums with multiple artists. In this instance it has made each aertist have it’s own one track album. When I view any of the albums in my version of MC, all of the songs are there but in some instances no longer grouped in one album. For instance, I have an album called Salsa Swing. Each track is by a different artist and they are now all listed as individual single track albums instead of a whole.

I will look at the tags/info and see if I can do what you suggested though.

Thanks for the help

Neil M.

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 11:08:10 am »

This has only happened on albums with various artists. It looks like the thing that is holding me up is the “Album type” which I am unable to edit. it lists each track as a single artist album. Any way I can gain access to editing this particular field?

Thanksß

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:20:15 am »

I don’t actually know what you mean by the same directory. What has happened has only occured on albums with multiple artists. In this instance it has made each aertist have it’s own one track album. When I view any of the albums in my version of MC, all of the songs are there but in some instances no longer grouped in one album. For instance, I have an album called Salsa Swing. Each track is by a different artist and they are now all listed as individual single track albums instead of a whole.

I will look at the tags/info and see if I can do what you suggested though.

Thanks for the help

Neil M.

What Jim means I believe is that Album Artist and the Album name create a unique ID for the album to be grouped together. For a multiple artist album you should have some consistent nomenclature : I use Various Artists, some use Multiple Artists ... the Artist tag though remains unchanged and can be track based. If they are not the same, they get grouped separately

There could be an issue with the file directories -- Often you would have Album Artist/Album/ then tracks .. in this case it should be something like Various Artists/Name of Album on your hard drives ... usually though it is just that the Album artist is not filled in or it is for each artist -- which splits the album up like you described.

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:00:17 pm »

Okay, now I understand. I think I’m getting it to work.

Thanks so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Neil M.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:05:04 pm »

sure no problem.  and welcome to the forum ! :)

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:53:47 pm »

Unfortunately, I still have a problem. Altering the tags made it possible for me to reassemble the albums, but when I close down MC and then open it again, it all reverts to the previous mess. I presume this means I need to find a way to do some editing on the actual files that are on the hard drive or am I missing something?

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 02:01:59 pm »

I close down MC and then open it again, it all reverts to the previous mess.

Changes to the library should live between restarts.  Strange.  Do you have your library somewhere where we couldn't write to it or something?

If all else fails, create a new library at a path you know you control and import again.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 02:39:28 pm »

I’m sure the problem is because I’m not a computer Guru, but I’ll keep trying. Basicaly I did this to get to where I am. All of my music was stored on my computer hard drive. I installed a NAS a while back and decided to copy all music to the NAS. The copying went well and when looking at the actual files on the NAS, the albums appear to be intact, inasmuch as each album contains all of the songs it should. So basically, I am streaming my music and library from the the NAS to my laptop and playing it from here. At this time there does not appear to be a way for me to actually save the changes I am making to the tags, etc. and I don’t know if that is because there is some sort of set up issue with the NAS. I’m new to the whole streaming from a remote disc as opposed to having my library “local” so I am presuming I’m doing something wrong. It might be something to do with the files being in a “shared” folder instead of a stand alone folder. I’ll investigate some more, but any other insight would be appreciated

I’m guessing that there is a check box some place for me to allow or disallow changes to be made to files on the NAS so I need to find that too.

Thanks

Neil M.

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:49:07 pm »

Well, it doesn't seem like I'm smart enough to figure this out. I have compared the tags on another computer which has the same files and the only difference I'm seeing is that the albums on the other computer, which are complete, have a different "Album Type". I am unable to edit the album type heading and even in the Library Tools, this particular tag is grayed out so I can't alter the default setting. Why would something so important not be able to be edited?
Pages: [1]   Go Up